Ridiculous things you do to keep the peace

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Rosendula
A selfsufficientish Regular

Ridiculous things you do to keep the peace

Inspired by this thread
Just wondering what things you do/have done which are ridiculous but necessary to keep the peace with someone.

My example (which we don't have to do any more, thankfully) when I was in contact with my parents :bootyshake: , I instructed my teenagers that if they came home from school and my parents were round they had to say 'hello' to their Grandad separately from everyone else. So even though they said 'hello' as they came through the door, intending it to address everyone, they had to then say 'hello, Grandad', otherwise he sulked and called them ignorant and accused them of not talking to him.
Rosey xx

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

Re: Ridiculous things you do to keep the peace

if my mum sounds like she's in an argumentative mood, I cut convesations short and ring her back the next day.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Telling my Mum some really bad news about someone else always re-directed her train of thought when she was feeling down
Unfortunately I still haven't found the knack with OH to stop the b!**$^ whingeing about his work colleagues
Spent many years getting between father and sons to avoid conflict and now the boys think their Dad is perfect :roll:

That's fine dear - when the diy/decorating/flat pack furniture was not right (and fixing it myself in secret)
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Putting on 6 stone in weight because the ex used to fly into a rage/sulk if I didn't eat all the crap food he put in front of me. Then he had the cheek to run off with someone fatter than me! :angryfire:

More stupid than ridiculous.

Zoe

linzibean
Tom Good
Tom Good

I just don't talk to my parents, I find it's the easiest way to keep the peace!!
When I was young people called me a hippy. Now I'm a bit older I'm just called environmentally aware..... that's progress!

Millymollymandy

I bite my tongue. I know what subjects are taboo when I am with my mother (the Prince Charles v. Princess Diana 'debate' and fox hunting the main ones that spring to mind!) and when I am with my mother in law (Maggie Thatcher and 'foreigners' i.e. anyone with a darker skin than us or a funny accent :roll: ). You never win with old people and it's just not worth it. :roll: :roll: :roll:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

My mum had a saying, "Anything for a quiet life ....... means you won't get one."
Just a thought .....

Love and Peace
Jim
The law will punish man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the Common
But lets that greater thief go loose
Who steals the Common from the goose.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have been known to shop for a christmas gift for my mother with the sole proviso 'it will not hurt me if she throws it at me' She has been known to throw a variety of things at whoever is there at the time... :roll: Looking forward to our big family get-together on boxing day :banghead:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

The Riff-Raff Element

I resist talking politics with one MIL (I have two...) because it always ended up getting personal. So to keep the peace I stopped rising to the bait she trailed.

Now she has started complaining because it seems that these knock-you-down-and-drag-you-out fights were one of the things she enjoyed most about my visits. So, in order to keep the peace I've got to argue with my MIL. :mrgreen:

JulieSherris

Where do I start with mine?

Right.... I make up the guest bed for MIL with a top sheet, cos NOT having one is SO common....
Ironing said sheets & pillow cases & duvet cover to within an inch of their lives..........
Buy a fresh lemon for her tea.... then bite my lip when she puts it on her saucer to use for next time.....

There's more..... always more.....
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

Anne A
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Parents, Putting the heating on, rather than offering blankets like I do for friends, Turning the telly on and leaving it on, boiling the kettle every time, not using the flask, as its "not fresh"
Niece, Buy *gulp* white sliced bread, I don't see her often enough and its just not worth her starving for the weekend when she stays.
Friends, not making them use wee wipes :lol:

Ellendra

The only "problem person" in my life is my dad. Unfortunately, due to health problems I've been stuck living with my parents longer than I ever intended to. Most of the time I just hide in my room. I have a computer with internet, oodles of houseplants, the only things I need to come out for are food, water, and loo.

Graye

Why is it always MILs who need to be kid-gloved I wonder?

My first one was the original snob and looked down on our family because my Dad worked in a factory (irrespective of the fact that it was HIS factory!) and my Mom was a career civil servant who had always worked.

She kept cheap sherry in a Croft Original bottle ( one of my "keeping the peace" moves was to accept when she offered me one and comment on how nice it was) and always went shopping with an M & S food market shopping bag in case she met any of her friends.

But her worst trait was to eye up each and every Xmas present to see who she could give it away to the following year. I remember my SIL once giving her a pedal bin for Xmas with a "let's see her give THAT away" under her breath to me.

I suppose my most successful (but wimpish) "peace keeping" was to ALWAYS agree with what she said, be it about politics, the Royal family, Ascot (!) etc. It got to be a way of life and my ex used to sit and squirm whenever I did it. Fortunately she didn't live very close so it wasn't too often but my son often used to comment on the way home that he knew I didn't really think like that... fortunately he never commented whilst we were there but when I think about it, what a way for him to learn about such stuff!
Growing old is much better then the alternative!

Sally Jane
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Ellendra wrote:The only "problem person" in my life is my dad. Unfortunately, due to health problems I've been stuck living with my parents longer than I ever intended to. Most of the time I just hide in my room. I have a computer with internet, oodles of houseplants, the only things I need to come out for are food, water, and loo.
Ellendra, I am so sorry to read about your curent circumstances and health problems.
I know that living with my parents again would be my worst nightmare, and I would almost certainly end up drinking alcoholically to cope.
I truly hope that things improve for you in the coming year.

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

Graye wrote:Why is it always MILs who need to be kid-gloved I wonder?

not true in my case, she's about the only person I dont have to mind my p's and q's with lol!!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!