No water!

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
SarahJane
Living the good life
Living the good life

No water!

I have no water this morning! I thought that it was just me and something was wrong with my water but apparently its a burst water main and none of the villiage have any!
It must have frozen and burst! :(

red
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: No water!

hope its fixed soon. still frozen where you are?

lots of people with same problem here in the Westcountry and in Wales

suggest looking in garden for any water/ice in buckets.. for flushing the loo.....
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

SarahJane
Living the good life
Living the good life

I didnt think it was quite so cold last night tbh, it was -9 the other night.

I hope it will be fixed soon too. I havent got any buckets outside, or that would have been a good idea.

I have been told that we will be brought some bottled water if it continues for any length of time. The local schools have had to close so it must be more wide spread than I thought. :flower:

Millymollymandy

Oh that's just awful cos you can't borrow any from the neighbours. I did see on the telly where something similar had happened and they put water tanks out in the streets for the residents - only of course they all froze! (duh!). I hope to god it gets sorted for you soon. (don't forget you can pee in a bucket and chuck it on your compost heap :mrgreen: ).
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

pumpy

We've still got snow hanging around from Monday morning, have you got any that you could collect into buckets & allow to thaw? (if not, i'll post some!!).
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.

SarahJane
Living the good life
Living the good life

We have got cold water coming through the pipes now but it isnt fit to do anything with ecept flush the loo, but at least that is something. :flower:

pumpy

Providing that you are not on a meter, just let the cold tap run...... eventually it will run clear. ( the contaminated water from the burst pipe has to go somewhere). Don't worry about wasting water, as there won't be any shortages for a year or two!

Helsbells

Don't worry about wasting water, as there won't be any shortages for a year or two!
Pumpy, not saying SarahJane shouldnt run the water till its clear (better than buying all those plastic bottles that never degrade) wasting water isnt just about water shortages, and using up all the water, you also need to consider the fossil fuels that are used up in cleaning the water to make it usable again.

pumpy

Sorry Helsbells, but i've worked in the water industry for nearly 30 yrs & don't know of any fossil-fuels that are used to treat water. Please explain.

Helsbells

Hi Pumpy,

I am certainly no expert so there is a good chance I am wrong, but I suppose I just assumed that there must be some sort of machinery, pumping devices etc that are used to clean the water then transport it back to our houses via a pumping station, these must be powered by something? Could be electricity from a power station which is run on fossil fuels? Then I thought there was chemicals added to the water to make it drinkable (flouride etc) which rwould equire fossil fuels for it to be produced.
Gas is certainly used to heat water, so there is definately fossil fuels used there.

Perhaps I am just nit picking, its just someone I lived with at uni was totally wasting water and was like "its fine, we have loads of water at the moment" And I wasnt thinking about the water I was thinking about the waster of energy.

Hels

pumpy

Hiya, yes, i understand your point, but then if you offset that against boiling the contaminated water to make it potable........ swings & roundabouts?

SarahJane
Living the good life
Living the good life

I used a few bucketfuls to flush the loo and then did a load of washing which is cold tap fed, the water seems fine now. :flower:

Helsbells

Hiya, yes, i understand your point, but then if you offset that against boiling the contaminated water to make it potable........ swings & roundabouts?
Heh heh indeed.

kathleen
Tom Good
Tom Good

I know just how you feel with no water - but ours is for the opposite reason! We've had hardly any rain in ages & only have rainwater tanks at our place! We did have a lucky spell last week when it rained for a day or so, but it's still pretty tight - if you need to run your water til it's clear at least save it up & do something with it, water the garden maybe?? I know you probably have plenty, but I always hate to see water running away down the drain... Hope it's all fixed up for you soon :flower:

Millymollymandy

Kathleen it sounds like you are in the southern hemisphere :lol: here in the north there's no need to water the garden in winter, in fact in a lot of places it's that last thing you'd want to do as you'd probably kill the plants or turn your lawn into a quagmire! We get way too much rain in winter and (sometimes) not enough in summer.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/