HOT!

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

HOT!

WE are hunkering down and expecting mid 40's deg C this weekend, to hot to anhting but sit inside and swelter! Anybody who wants to send us some snow, you are welcome!

There should be a southerly change bringing cooler temperatures on Sunday night.

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

george
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: HOT!

We have been seeing how hot it is over there on the news here. I feel for you! It has been quite nice today at only 26C. We are due to have the same heat wave here in Christchurch but it is only going to be 34C tomorrow, although that is still way too hot for me! We are not expected to get cooler weather until Tuesday.

I hope you don't get any more fires over there either. It must be a bit of a worry with the current weather.

George

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Poor you Nev! How do your chooks cope with temps like that? Mine pant at 30C! :shock:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

invisiblepiper

The news says you have some bad bush fires too - hope you are well clear!
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less travelled by
And that has made all the difference.
(Robert Frost)

Clara

OH YUCK! I had that kind of weather when I was very pregnant with my first (very glad this one is a march baby!).

My solution was to sit in pants with a fan either side and do NOTHING except perhaps yell at someone to fetch you a cold drink!

Whatever, i find it's always best for your sanity not to fight the weather - do what is reasonable and what will help you get through, don't just plough on regardless or expect anyone else too.
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hey George,

It's lovely over there! and much cooler than here when I have been there :mrgreen:

The chooks don't like it much M3, I wet them down but they don't seem to like that either. Mrs Wombat went and got them a reflective tarp to go over the chook tractor and we have been keeping the water supply up to them, but not much fun for them!

Hey IP, yes we are well and truly urbanised and well away from the fires, very scary for some friends in Melbourne though.

Hey Clara, it is 10:30pm, about 35 deg and I am typing this in my reggies :mrgreen: you are so right!

Nev

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I'd like to empathise, Nev, but as it's bloody freezing here I can't. :lol: Will send chilly vibes instead.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Millymollymandy

Reggies! :lol: How are your plants/crops Nev? When we had a heatwave here in France in 2003 it was awful although I think the highest we had was about 99F - what's that, about 37C? However it just went on, and on, and on and the house was so hot. I had to keep going outside 2 or 3 times a day to water my plants and my poor capsicums (peppers) got scorch and had to be moved to the shade!!! :shock: The humidity was so low we had a wooden mirror frame split open one evening which sounded like a gun shot :pale: and our wooden kitchen work top split open. :(

I hated every minute of it and must have used €200 extra water hosepiping my garden every evening, sprinklers, you name it. I had to! We lived indoors behind closed shutters all day every day and it was for me the reason why I would never ever in a million years move to a hot country - to me summer is all about being outdoors and enjoying the sunshine, not being stuck indoors the whole summer. :angryfire:

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks GA!

M3, things seem to be coping reasonably well although the choko vine took a hit today, I hope it will survive tomorrow. I have a couple of shade cloth covers and they have been pressed into service. I haven't been game to plant any stuff out so I have a build up of veggies ready to go in. I should be able to plant up one of the beds next week once the cooler weather hits. We had a stir fry tonight that has silver beet, New Zealand Spinach; carrot, capsicum, tomato, fathen, baby squash and broccoli all from the garden. So we are still producing some stuff but a few bits are looking very dessicated.

I have been keeping up the water from the 12 volt pump and 5500llitre water tank. We have used about 20% in th last few days but we may get a bit of rain when the cool change comes. Right now I have REALLY had enough of the hot weather and look forward to getting something else. I suppose you guys in the UK and France are thinking the same about the cold! :mrgreen:

Mrs Wombat doesnt cope well with the heat so I bought a small air conditioner a couple of years ago. With out it we would have to retire to one of the local shopping centres and then once they kick you out it is like hitting a brick wall of heat!

up to now the summer has been pretty good but late January and Feb have been a bit of a trial.

Nev

Millymollymandy

What veg is FATHEN Nev?

If I was living there or somewhere really hot I think I would have to have air conditioning, don't really like it but needs must! Anyway I really feel for you and when I'm complaining cos it's cold here :mrgreen: at least I can go and sit by the fire and get warm (you'll laugh at this but we've just invested in some electric blankets for our bed which mean I can finally go to bed warm!) :lol:

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Millymollymandy wrote:What veg is FATHEN Nev?

If I was living there or somewhere really hot I think I would have to have air conditioning, don't really like it but needs must! Anyway I really feel for you and when I'm complaining cos it's cold here :mrgreen: at least I can go and sit by the fire and get warm (you'll laugh at this but we've just invested in some electric blankets for our bed which mean I can finally go to bed warm!) :lol:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Fathen os Chenopoium album, a weed that you can eat, it grows very prolifically here in summer and doesn't go bitter in the hot weather or if it gets a bit leggy like the Asian greens do. Have a look at this M3!

You can steam it, stir fty it or put it in salads!

http://www.fathen.org/

Nev

red

he means.... FAT HEN :mrgreen:

hope temps cool soon Nev
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

rockchick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

40 degrees? :scratch: that doesn't seem possible right now, although this much snow seems equally as unlikely.
stay cool!

Millymollymandy

red wrote:he means.... FAT HEN :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I've just sussed that out after googling and it is not wot he rote but Chenopodium album

Obviously the heat has gone to his brain and typing fingers! :toothy7: :toothy7: :toothy7:

Millymollymandy

oops and I didn't even notice the link he gave! :oops: :lol: