How do you cope with ignorant people?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
mrsmiggins
Tom Good
Tom Good

How do you cope with ignorant people?

You know the type, they throw everything in the landfill bin because they think the council should sort it out, are very materialistic and laugh at people's attempts to be more self sufficient. I am not saying that all people that don't recycle or grow their own veg are bad people because that's not the only indicator of a nice person, but how do you deal with people that seem to be beyond educating and laugh at your lifestyle? :roll:

Derry
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: How do you cope with ignorant people?

slap 'em about a bit :thumbleft:

i jest, though sometimes its tempting. in some instances ill try to educate/convert them, but most of the time its a case of live and let live

Big Al
A selfsufficientish Regular

mrsmiggins wrote:You know the type, they throw everything in the landfill bin because they think the council should sort it out, are very materialistic and laugh at people's attempts to be more self sufficient. I am not saying that all people that don't recycle or grow their own veg are bad people because that's not the only indicator of a nice person, but how do you deal with people that seem to be beyond educating and laugh at your lifestyle? :roll:

If it's a personal confrontation or they are ridiculing you in person Just smile at them and think good thoughts to yourself.

It's no good you getting upset at these type of people because they don't do the same as you because we would be in a sad world if everyone was the same.

In reallity, in the grand scheme of things if they behave as they do then that in itself will not make much difference to the world, the planet or anything else but the time will come when it hits them bloody hard like a smack in the face off a shovel ( I bet that hurts...) and they will come to you for advice...... then you can tell them to P^&* O^^,lol.

Or you could just smile at them and say " well when you are taking the piss out of me you are leaving someone else alone.... That's a good one that and it makes them think about what they are doing to YOU on a personal level.

To quantify my Grand scheme of things comment above the thing that will make a difference is if EVERYONE behaved like the subject couple.

Thankfully the tide is changing and slowly people are seeing the need to be less materialistic, more humble, friendly, helpful and considerate. Gawd I'm even becomeing like that hevean forbid...

Back in the late 80's when I was being chained to rail tracks to slow down nuclears fuel waste shipments people thought I was odd and anti establishment but now direct action protesting is seen as acceptable by many more than there was in the 80's...

What was that Bob Dylan song.. the times they are a changing....
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

lazyspice
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Ignore them, for the sake of your own sanity - I've been trying for 5 years, without success, to get one of the women I work with to flip over her ring bound notepad and use the other side when she gets to the end. It's such a simple thing but she says it looks scruffy! :angryfire: I use the other side of whatever piece of paper is headed for the recycling bins to jot down notes and messages :roll:

It was no great surprise to find out that her family of 6 doesn't recycle a damn thing - she's the only one in our department with kids, you'd think she would want to invest in improving the planet for their sakes, wouldn't you? The rest of us do what we can to reuse and recycle, at home and work, but apparently it is too time consuming for her family (kids aged between 14 and 25, by the way!).

Graye

It would drive you completely insane trying to keep pointing out the error of their ways so I would just ignore them. And just shrug and smile at them if they mock you, it drives these sort of people crazy! Every society has to have their share of ignorant fools, just pigeon hole them as that and let them get on with it. They won't change very easily.
Growing old is much better then the alternative!

mrsmiggins
Tom Good
Tom Good

Big Al wrote: It's no good you getting upset at these type of people because they don't do the same as you because we would be in a sad world if everyone was the same.
I agree with this, it would be very boring if we were all the same, although the problem comes when people ridicule your life choices when you're too nice and polite to even mention theirs!
Big Al wrote:Or you could just smile at them and say " well when you are taking the piss out of me you are leaving someone else alone.... That's a good one that and it makes them think about what they are doing to YOU on a personal level.
I like this, I will definitely try it!! :lol:

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nah - I'm with Derry. Smack 'em in the mouth, often. Kick 'em given half an opportunity.

Oh let's go whole hog - 20 year prison terms sound good, or even capital punishment.

No, I'm not being facetious, Mrs. Miggins. It's just that I know exactly the kind of person you're talking about.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

John Headstrong

I laugh at them, sometimes I point and laugh.

and if need be, I tell them where there clothes come from and who made them.

or how their food is made and prepared for them.

or how we now make food into petrol.

or one of my collection of comments about the current consumerist, child slave employing, people starving, planet killing way of life.

and only very rarely do I slap them these days, but it is a tactic I hold in reserve. :wink:

Big Al

MKG wrote:Nah - I'm with Derry. Smack 'em in the mouth, often. Kick 'em given half an opportunity.

Oh let's go whole hog - 20 year prison terms sound good, or even capital punishment.

No, I'm not being facetious, Mrs. Miggins. It's just that I know exactly the kind of person you're talking about.

Mike
I opened up this post and at the time no one had replied so I replied wth the phrase .. just T^%$ them then sat and looked at the screen and thought better of it. See I've just been banned of a survival forum for saying solar power is a viable fuel of the future over coal and Nuclear... well ok that was the final bit that got me banned so I thought better of my remark and changed it to the post you see above...

..... so much for me being contemplative ... :salute:
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Derry
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

MKG wrote:Nah - I'm with Derry. Smack 'em in the mouth, often. Kick 'em given half an opportunity.

Mike
we should rule the world :glasses2:

mrsmiggins
Tom Good
Tom Good

Hmm, I think violence might add to the problem somewhat!! I think I'll try Graye's idea 'shrug and smile' or keep trying to educate them. I just don't like the ridicule thing before they know what it's all about. I think some people just naturally do that :roll:

eccentric_emma

if its "friends" doing it, then they are not friends for very much longer. if its people i have to put up with for whatever reason and can't avoid them then depending what mood i'm in, i'll try and educate them, or point out to them that one day i would like children and i'd like to give them a nice place to live. or point out to them that you wouldn't dump rubbish in their home or garden so why dump it anywhere else etc etc.

when im in a bad mood i can be quite good at just making them feel like an a**ehole which hopefully will make them think twice about annoying me again!
Off grid retreats, rustic cottages, yoga holidays and more in the midst of nature in Central Portugal

http://www.pureportugalholidays.com

ina

It was pointed out to me not long ago that my social conscience was over developed. We made a joke of it: something went wrong at my birth, and I'm really suffering kind of thing - but it made me think. Now I try to keep my big mouth shut a bit more often. Even if it's criticism I don't agree with, I find it difficult to handle. :roll:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

QB comes back
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I come on Ish to moan about them and then get on with trying to change them through rational arguements.

Thank heavens Ish-ers are out there as some sanity.

Flo

You have to have a thick skin to be the oddball in the group. Or change your group. :mrgreen:

Your friends need to be like minded. If you find colleagues at work who can put up with your ways and nod in agreement that it's a good lifestyle, fine.

But remember, you have to tolerate other people's lifestyle too.

Now there's a teen in the flat upstairs having a paddy - shall I tolerate it or go and smack her bottom. Oh no - we aren't allowed to do that anymore. :mrgreen: