Autumn!

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Autumn!

Can you eat hazelnuts green? I've picked a few green because I knew that my pesky squirrel would have them very soon, and sure enough this morning there he (or she) was in my wiggly hazel bush, backwards and forwards burying them nearby, including one in the lawn about 2 metres away!!! We hardly ever get any hazelnuts, but this year the few that there are are actually a decent size for once! But almost impossible to find in a wiggly hazel bush so squidgy is welcome, and who can stay cross at a gorgeous little red squirrel for long? :mrgreen:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Carltonian Man

You need to catch them when the nut is formed but before the shell is too hard. They taste sweet and slightly nutty, not unlike raw peas. If the shell is hardening the brown husk round the kernal can tend to be on the bitter side but if you eat one that's just right I bet you look for another..

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

Carltonian Man wrote:Autumn's the season for me regarding foraging. Yesterday's wayside snack saw some of the last sweet green hazelnuts (once brown they're too tough to crack in my teeth..) and already the wild mushies are making a welcome show. Just wish it would stop raining and be less humid.
I'm with you on the forraging front.

so the green hazels, a taste much like Cobnuts if you've tried them I suppose?
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Millymollymandy

OK must try one, they are actually already starting to brown up.

red

it must be autum - we have put the ram in with the sheep.

and the hazelnuts are ready here.. you can tell when they are ready when you can roll them out of the husk.

we crack them, roast them .. and put them in cookies....
but first i just gather them... then himself can spend winter evenings cracking them.. before making cookies....
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

clare
Living the good life
Living the good life

Autumn does feel early this year.......I even had socks on today for the first time for months..
Grow it,make it ,eat it, drink it and sleep well!

Carltonian Man

Must admit, I always thought cob nuts and hazel nuts were one and the same. Cracking them in front of the fire sounds nice but I think I'd probably end up eating more than I saved

red

Carltonian Man wrote:Must admit, I always thought cob nuts and hazel nuts were one and the same. Cracking them in front of the fire sounds nice but I think I'd probably end up eating more than I saved
i think cob nuts are the old name for hazelnuts but these days cob nuts tend to be the cultivated variety... ie bigger.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Shirley

All sounds very lovely - wish the rain would keep away for a bit so we could enjoy some wonderful autumn sunshine then - forecast is a bit better for next week with even a mention of WARMTH!

Carltonian Man - I love your avatar photo. Did you take it yourself?
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Millymollymandy

Feels really cold today - first time I've worn a sweatshirt/fleece all day long, indoors, for a few months! Starting to think longingly of my winter duvet but I'll wait a bit longer before I get the leccy blanket out! :mrgreen: We are supposed to be having hot sunny weather again next week though!