Jobs

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
lovelygreenleaves
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Jobs

MKG wrote:I work for MI5.

What? WHAT?

Mike
Isn't that meant to be a secret?! :lol:

red
A selfsufficientish Regular

lovelygreenleaves wrote:
MKG wrote:I work for MI5.

What? WHAT?

Mike
Isn't that meant to be a secret?! :lol:
its a double bluff! :lol:
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's a triple bluff - it's actually MI6.

Aaaaah .... damn!!!!!!!

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

gigglybug

I am mainly a mum but I work part time in a supermarket, and hope to soon be selling clothes and accessories in a local shop and online (Fingers crossed) :flower:
Amanda

Facebook group : http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=34623838139
If your near W-S-M please join!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Or is it GCHQ - Gentleman's Clothiers of High Quality??? :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Don't tell him, Pike!
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Eigon
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I work in one of the original recycling sectors of the economy - I sell second hand books.
"The best way to get real enjoyment out of the garden isto put on a wide straw hat, hold a little trowel in one hand and a cool drink in the other, and tell the man where to dig."
Charles Barr

Rosendula

Used to work as Resources Manager for and educational charity, where we held artefacts (and other stuff) from all over the the developing world. My job was to set up and run a resource centre where people in education could come and borrow things, library-like, and use them in the classroom. We also 'loaned' out people from other countries :lol: With it being a tiny organisation with most workers being volunteers when they had the time, I also ended up doing the finances, reports, newsletter, advertising, vacuuming, washing pots...... I left when I had my youngest child, but for a while I couldn't let go of 'work'. The job had also been heavily involved in the promotion of Fair Trade, and so I decided to set up an internet shop selling ethical clothing, accessories, toiletries and jewellery. I kept it up for 2 years and then had a re-think. I realised that in order to start taking a salary, I would have to invest a lot more time and money. And, TBH, I wasn't enjoying it any more. I enjoy setting things up, not running them. So I closed it down. (I still have quite a bit of the stock if anyone's interested in starting up a similar business. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink).

Now, I look after my LO who's now 3 years old. I home-ed her, and intend to continue to do so provided she's happy with the arrangement. OH is a postman and had to go part-time for medical reasons about a year and half ago. So we're now on about 25% of the income we were on in early 2006. We manage because since then we have reduced our work-related outgoings (obviously), grow our own fruit and veg, gone back to home-brewing after a few years off, taken up home-cooking, reduced travel, etc., etc.
Rosey xx

marshlander

We keep busy with our B&B.
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

Mr and Mrs luvpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Currentley working as a prison officer, which has been quite an eye opener over the past few years, a typical day could vary from a quiet day where just the routine happens - prisoners go to there allocated work places, security searches are done, and association time passes with no incident or you could spend the day ducking out the way of a tray of food being thrown at you by a prisoner who has not been taking his medication for several days and is also dressed in only his underwear,and to make any attempt of restraining him more difficult has covered himself in baby oil, or working with a foreign national who doesn't speak english and resorting to a telephone translation service to talk him down after he has held a razor blade to his own throat as he was unhappy about the length of time it was taking for him to be deported.

Its quite a bizarre job at the best of times, how you have to build up relationships, with some quite dangerous and disturbed people, statistics say that on the outside 1in 10 people suffer with mental illness when in prison its 1 in 3. Drug abuse is rife -its probably easier to develop a habit on the inside than it is on the out.

But the job does have its rewards, there are those that do want to change their ways and we do get the thankyou cards from those that have turned their lives around while inside and have left jail drug free, with qualifications or even the ability to read and write and have gone back to their families and have been able to find employment.

Mrs L is a nurse in a brain injury rehab unit but is hoping she can stretch out her maternity leave for as long as possible, so I guess I'd better try for promotion!!
the ever growing luvpie household currently contains, 4 boys, 4 chickens, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, 4 fish, an empty tropical fish tank waiting new arrivals, now are we daft to look at our broody hen thinking, if we got some fertilised eggs........

red

MKG wrote:Don't tell him, Pike!
:lol:
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Millymollymandy

Mr and Mrs luvpie wrote:Currentley working as a prison officer, which has been quite an eye opener over the past few years, a typical day could vary from a quiet day where just the routine happens - prisoners go to there allocated work places, security searches are done, and association time passes with no incident or you could spend the day ducking out the way of a tray of food being thrown at you by a prisoner who has not been taking his medication for several days and is also dressed in only his underwear,and to make any attempt of restraining him more difficult has covered himself in baby oil, or working with a foreign national who doesn't speak english and resorting to a telephone translation service to talk him down after he has held a razor blade to his own throat as he was unhappy about the length of time it was taking for him to be deported.

Its quite a bizarre job at the best of times, how you have to build up relationships, with some quite dangerous and disturbed people, statistics say that on the outside 1in 10 people suffer with mental illness when in prison its 1 in 3. Drug abuse is rife -its probably easier to develop a habit on the inside than it is on the out.

But the job does have its rewards, there are those that do want to change their ways and we do get the thankyou cards from those that have turned their lives around while inside and have left jail drug free, with qualifications or even the ability to read and write and have gone back to their families and have been able to find employment.

Mrs L is a nurse in a brain injury rehab unit but is hoping she can stretch out her maternity leave for as long as possible, so I guess I'd better try for promotion!!
Bravo for doing such a difficult job Mr Luvpie, but I must say when I read the first bit I was rather worried thinking that pregnant Mrs Luvpie was doing that job! :shock:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

Job? I'm self-sufficient.

lovelygreenleaves
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thomzo wrote:I'm an accountant. Some of the time it's OK, but most of the time it's really boring and very stressful. Fortunately, it pays really well, so with careful planning and being frugal I can survive for several months without working and contract when the weather gets bad. I've just had six months off but I'm about to start another contract which should last until Christmas.

A friend and I are thinking about going into property development. She's got a good job so can get a mortgage. I can spend the time doing the renovations. We just need to find the right property to get ourselves started.

Cheers
Zoe
Wow Zoe the contract thing sounds fab! That might be a possibility for me in the future, do you find it's ok as long as you manage your money well? I think I'd prefer that to working part time!

charlie
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I'm a mostly stay at home mum to my 1yr old daughter, but work w/e's in a local shop.
OH works in IT/insurance.
I'm currently setting up a business with a friend, recycling fabrics, furniture etc. :wink: