Kirstie Bloody Allsop (Or How To Be A Trendy Peasant)

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Kirstie Bloody Allsop (Or How To Be A Trendy Peasant)

[quote="mrsflibble] I WAS GROWING STUFF BEFORE JAMIE FRIGGING OLIVER SAID IT WAS GREAT TO DO SO!!!
[/quote][/quote][/quote]

And I was cooking proper food before Jamie Bloody Oliver was even born! :roll: :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Me too :oops: :pale: :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Well I really enjoyed the show and couldn't wait for the next episode. I think she did a great job of highlighting just how rewarding it can be to seek out local craftspeople rather than just rushing down the nearest chain store.

I happen to like the woman but that's mainly because she's the same height as me and not afraid to wear high heels. Also, she's not some skinny bint, permanently on a diet. She's got curves and is happy to show them off.

But each to their own. If you don't like her or her show, then that's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

Zoe

Helsbells

Thats a good point Thomzo, I hadnt thought of that, she does encourage people to use local crafts people.
What irritates me is that she is loaded and doesnt need to get second hand stuff out of skips, she could afford to pay local crafts people for everything.
But she is getting all the good stuff from the skips (and making it "cool" for other rich people to do the same) so there is nothing left for people who cant actually afford to pay local crafts people, (in theory) and have to go skip hopping.
Does that make senes? Oh well.
(I also find her endless enthusiasm and gushing over everything highly irritating. I mean you can only get so excited over icing a cake for goodness sake)

lovelygreenleaves
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Helsbells wrote:What irritates me is that she is loaded and doesnt need to get second hand stuff out of skips, she could afford to pay local crafts people for everything.
But she is getting all the good stuff from the skips (and making it "cool" for other rich people to do the same) so there is nothing left for people who cant actually afford to pay local crafts people, (in theory) and have to go skip hopping.
I understand your concerns but I don't think that this programme will make enough of a difference for there not to be anything left for people who can't afford new things! I think if it makes anyone, 'rich or poor' think first before buying new, that's good in my book. Recycling isn't just for people who can't afford new. :sunny:

Stonehead

Helsbells wrote: What irritates me is that she is loaded and doesnt need to get second hand stuff out of skips, she could afford to pay local crafts people for everything.
Isn't that rather missing the point?

If we want to reduce consumerism, then surely it doesn't matter who recycles, salvages, re-uses and reclaims? Why should it only be the poor who do this? If the affluent are prepared to reduce the spend, spend, spend obsession isn't this a good thing?

And, incidentally, it's often the genuinely "posh" folks whose belongings are second-hand and well-used. It's the aspirational middle classes and upper working classes who are more likely to have houses full of new "stuff".

I also have to confess the anger directed at Kirsty Allsop bemuses me. There she is, sticking her neck out and saying "it's good to recycle", "it's good to reclaim" and "it's good to use local craftsmen". And what does she get? Bitter sniping from a group of people who claimed to espouse those ideals.

Hmmm.

Two final points.

I have seen KA skip-diving in Holland Park. I was visiting a friend a few years ago and we were having a laugh watching a large-bottomed lady leaning deep into a skip, dress and boots flying about madly. We were even more amused when she pushed herself up clutching her trophy—and we recognised who she was.
I have a fairly middle class background (without wishing to set the cat among the pigeons, I can sense most of the people here are too!)
Not me. And I'm not playing at being a trendy peasant either. :D

Helsbells

I agree with what your saying Stonehead, but sometimes when something annyos you, rationality and common sense goes out the window!!

jampot
Living the good life
Living the good life

im with you stone head
i liked this program it was all about making thing yourself and getting others to share their talents with you ok so we dont all know a friendly furniture restorer but we have mrs flibble right here on ish!
and i like lady Allsop the 3rd or whatever she may be a posh bird but shes enthusiastic about what shes doing (which is more than can be sed of some posh birds ive met!)

btw im not middle class :king:
AAARRGHH its behind you!!!

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

I have to say in her deffence, she's made skip diving more accesible and more accepted. now I don't get looked at like I'm mad if I ask to have a rummage in someone's skip lol!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Anne A
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

edited cos I was reading two forums and mixed them up :oops:
But the use of the word Trollop, was pissing me off

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

You're right Anne, name-calling doesn't help. As I said before, it's not the person, or even the programme that's the problem.

The knock-on effect of people cashing in is.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

anarchistinslippers
Tom Good
Tom Good

I have just got off the phone to my legal team and it turns out that not causing offence is more important than free speech, so I hereby retract my name-calling comments about Ms. Allsop. She is a splendid, well-rounded individual with good intentions and in no way as I described her. I apologise for any distress or civil unrest caused by my comments. In short, maybe I was a bit unfair.

I agree with the general view on here that the program had good intentions, but also that we don't need a posh person telling us how to recycle stuff. I really don't think we are going to witness a revolution where the upper-classes are going to be seen in skips, whooping with delight when they find something of value.

It may interest you all to know that my original description of Ms. Allsop appears to have different definitions depending on which side of the jungle you're from. I genuinely did not mean to refer to as.. well.. Google Define it yourselves.

I still say she's posh tho. Vah posh. If you carnt see it yourselves you're either mad, posh yourself or both. :iconbiggrin:
"All I want is peace, to grow potatoes and to dream" Moomin (Tove Jansson)

Millymollymandy

anarchistinslippers wrote:I still say she's posh tho. Vah posh. If you carnt see it yourselves you're either mad, posh yourself or both. :iconbiggrin:
No, just truly middle class, albeit of the extremely poor childhood type middle class with an accent (verging on Estuary) which my mother loathes and can't understand where I picked it up from having gone to a good school :lol: . There's plenty of poor 'posh' people too, just like there are 'filthy rich' working class.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Anne A wrote:edited cos I was reading two forums and mixed them up :oops:
But the use of the word Trollop, was pissing me off
Well, I'm not one for arguing (too much :iconbiggrin: ), but I think this is a little OTT as a reaction. Anarchistinslippers meant the comment to be lighthearted (at least, that's how I took it). Taking someone to task for the use of a possibly offensive term and describing your feelings as "pissing me off" may, in its own right, be taken as a little offensive, don't you think?

Pots and kettles, and all that.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

lovelygreenleaves
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

anarchistinslippers wrote: I agree with the general view on here that the program had good intentions, but also that we don't need a posh person telling us how to recycle stuff...

I still say she's posh tho. Vah posh. If you carnt see it yourselves you're either mad, posh yourself or both. :iconbiggrin:
This is an interesting discussion. Having seen every episode, I can say that Kirstie is not telling us how to recycle stuff. She is just sharing her passion for local crafts, antiques and skip found stuff. Her passion stems from her parents' love of antiques. The programme is not patronising in any way, and she does not try to educate people. She just shares her passion.

Also, I can see she's posh, but I'm unclear why this matters or what point you are making. Are people who are posh not allowed to be self sufficientish? :scratch: Or should we embrace all people's efforts to live a more self sufficient or eco life?