What is your own personal hell

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

What is your own personal hell

Whilst removing the hundreds of snails off my allotment yesterday I started to think what if they were bigger and what if as soon as you cut them in half they grew into two. - would this be hell?

Then my mind wandered and I thought of what my own personal allotment hell might consist of, I think to be truley horific it has to be something that could really happen. I thought that if it was sunny weather every time I walked there and as soon as I got there gail force winds and hail started. Also the alltoment next to me being empty could easily become overun with weeds that could grow and grow setting seed in mine.

Couch root could be everywhere that I dig and in the places that it was not bindweed would be there instead. Every potato could end up gettting blight. Greenfly coudl infest all my other plants....

Ahhh allotment hell.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

wulf
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: What is your own personal hell

Andy Hamilton wrote:Whilst removing the hundreds of snails off my allotment yesterday I started to think what if they were bigger and what if as soon as you cut them in half they grew into two. - would this be hell?
You'd have to pray for the strength of Hercules then, armed with a sharp knife and a zippo lighter, return to do battle with your foe (cf. Hydra).

Wulf

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ahhh they might even come back from the dead too.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

albert onglebod
Living the good life
Living the good life

I reckon blackberry brambles are a right pain.
I cleared my veg plot of head high brambles last year and my neighbours garden still has them(she is 96 so not her fault) .They will of course droop over into ours throughout the year and I have to chop them off whenever they threaten. Added to this,blackberry seedlings sprout up at the least sign of rain so I carry a pair of scissors in my garden coat.
We arent going away this year but I dread going away next year and coming back to find blackberry invasions and no veg plot.

shiney

My personal hell is slugs, snails and cats!

BUT...we got a green bin yesterday and I am sooo happy with it. I put all my shredded paper in it, along with stuff I can't get in the composter and cardboard. It's also a new home for my snails and slugs. I have decided that if I keep them in the bin, they'll eat the paper and anything composty until 'collection' time every two weeks. I'll knock 'em off the inside of the lid and they can go to compost heaven! Pity I can't do the same with the cats.

My other hell is lack of space for the million seedlings I have hatching at the moment. I am going to have to be very inventive with my growing spaces.
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

Tigerhair

I think this must be the worst year yet for snails in my garden... I have NEVER suffered with them as badly in my garden before.... my greenhouse is FULL of them and it is so frustrating - loads of my little plants going... perhaps the snails have been smoking something as they have a TERRIBLE case of munchies!!!...

My own personal hell would be Josh (my little boy) being really ill... couldn't think of anything worse... well I don't want to...
Tigz x

glenniedragon

Ground elder, ground elder everywhere...........(shudders)its closing in, its closing in......It in my garden and allotment there is NO escape

kind thougts
Deb

The Chili Monster

* swearing profusely :cussing:
ahhhh! Don't mention snails or slugs. I used to have a begrudging (unfounded, of course) liking for snails. Not any more. The only reason I don't hate snails right now as much as I hate slugs is the fact that at least snails don't just sneak out after dark.
It's like a 1970's episode of Dr Who with Tom Baker in my garden. I keep expecting to discover that my compost "bin" is in reality The Master's Tardis.
"Rich, fatty foods are like destiny: they too, shape our ends." ~Author Unknown

Support Team "Trim Taut & Terrific"

Millymollymandy

I don't have slugs or snails - at least what I do find are tiny little things that don't do any damage.

*runs away chased by hundreds of irate axe-wielding Self Sufficientishers*

My nightmare is bindweed, and the dreaded flea beetle meaning I can't grow radishes except in pots, which I don't have the time to do!

My other nightmare/worry is that when we dug this veg patch, we had a field of cows right next to it. Then Farmer Giles ploughed it all up and planted maize. This year it is wheat and yesterday I watched him going up and down spraying something (shudders). This is the 2nd time he has sprayed 'something'. I really don't want to know........ :(

My real personal hell is drought and the hours and hours spent watering, where I really begin to wonder if I should just chuck it all in and sit by the pond eating ice cream. :roll:

Boots

A friend of mine recently sent me a pic of what she considered a garden makeover. She used the words "How to turn an ugly eyesaw into a lovely garden setting". They had ripped out all plant life, pressure packed all the soil and paved everything!

That would be my hell. If I came home and found one of those makeover mobs had come and paved, concreted and installed a bloody concrete statue of David or something. I think I'd have a fit. :mrgreen:

I must ask Andy... Is this the flipside of the 'God in a garden' thread? :mrgreen:

... or did you find a funny mushroom when foraging lately which transformed those snails into mutations? :wink:

Millymollymandy

Boots wrote:That would be my hell. If I came home and found one of those makeover mobs had come and paved, concreted and installed a bloody concrete statue of David or something. I think I'd have a fit. :mrgreen:
It could be worse. They could have installed a whole family of gnomes!

The Chili Monster

MMM wrote:
It could be worse. They could have installed a whole family of gnomes!
Or those windmill things.
"Rich, fatty foods are like destiny: they too, shape our ends." ~Author Unknown

Support Team "Trim Taut & Terrific"

Millymollymandy

Or a 5 metre high Leylandii hedge. :mrgreen:

101 garden nightmares......... :lol:

Goodlife1970
Living the good life
Living the good life

My garden hell already happened earlier in the year when the cover blew off the polytunnel,luckily there wasnt much in there but I shudder to think if it happened now! Theres the Japanese knotweed thats always threatening to invade from the neighbours field along with the Ragwort,the mink getting my hens (again!) or one of the kids falling into the river! No wonder Im a nervous wreck!
Now, what did I come in here for??????

justkate
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Six foot slugs

My garden hell would be slugs that grew to six feet in length and developed a dislike for beer. I hate the revolting slimey little &*%^&*$ with a passion.