Just buzzzzzzzz off!

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Just buzzzzzzzz off!

So, with that rationale, hanging crystals should work even better - and a damn sight more attractive!

Keep us posted, although our problem are midges, not flies.

OH got togged up in his bog myrtle a couple of of evenings ago to go and do a bit of digging and came hurtling back in a few minutes later having been bitten to b*ggery (pun intended :lol: ). I'm guessing they're so hungry that they'll brave anything. With all the bad weather we've been having everyone's been dressed for the antarctic - no uncovered flesh :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Bikil
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 40° 46' N
longitude: 111° 58' W

So did it work? I'm very interested to know!
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
- Douglas Adams

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah me too, I'm plagued with flies this year too and a fly swat leaves nasty little splat marks everywhere. :iconbiggrin:
Wonder if a reflective mobile near the window would work too.

Hey Susie, does it work with colostomy bags ? :lol: :lol:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

battybird
A selfsufficientish Regular

I love it...please let it work...amazing what the internet comes up with!! :cheers: I searched fly deterrents recently and did not find it :( Do you think those disco mirror balls would also have the same effect?? I have a couple of tiny ones hanging in the window and have not counted the flies coming in..... but a big one could stop them in their tracks :cheers: Look forward to hearing the outcome of your scientific experiment!!
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

pelmetman

For the past 4 or so years we have been absolutely plagued with flies, it has been so bad we have insect chains and fly screens fitted to windows and doors.

They appear around June, July and August time (this year I am pleased to say apart from the odd fly that everyone expects it has been ok).

If they are proving to be a problem call the Environmental Health Department, they can help you find out where the source of the flies are coming from and try to remedy the infestation.

We bought a Red Top fly catcher, which is basically a strong plastic bag, they sell it with some bait which attracts the female flies, once in they cannot get out. You can buy extra bait but we don't bother, we save up fish skins and put that in the bottom. The smell is distgusting but it does attract them and by the end of the season we chuck it on the compost heap. :pukeright:

Sue :flower:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

pelmetman

Sue forgot to mention are you near to chicken farms and do the flies appear when you are preparing food? then they are poultry flies "Fanicular Ticulartus" is the latin name I think (not sure of the spelling).

Not usually a problem if you have your own chickens but if you are surrounded by chicken farms like us and they don't control them as they should then they are the likely cause of the problem :study:

But you have to be prepared to do serious nagging of the Environmental Health Department at the Council...................Works in the end :thumbright:

Dave :pirate:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Hi
The flies do seem to have been far worse this year than normal. I think it was the hot dry weather. I find that the cat food is the worst thing for attracting them. That and the dead mice the cats insist on leaving under the washing machine.

I was given a bit of advice that if you position a normal electric fan on the opposite side of the room to the open window or door so that the air is being pushed towards the door or window (does that make sense) then it stops the flies from coming in as they can't fly against the draft.

Zoe

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Zoe, your solution may be more practicle, but it didn't make me laugh as much as picturing SG a la 'Carry On Nurse' with her fluid bags!

We are really lucky; every window & door has at least one spider on duty and the window near the sink has no less than 7!

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

Millymollymandy

It may just be one of those unexplained things like why wasps are really bad some years. Good luck with your waterbags but don't they blind you indoors if the sun shines on them? I think I would need my sunglasses on! :iconbiggrin:

oh the more smilies has gone all odd - I was looking for the sunglasses one. :dontknow:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

i love the crystals idea. if this works can someone give me a nudge please? i'll get prepared for next summer lol.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Millymollymandy

Update time Susie! How's it working?

Millymollymandy

Goldfish, ha ha! :iconbiggrin: I suppose it's a bit like the paper bag wasp deterrent thing some of us tried a few years ago. Not really conclusive and by the time Cheezy sent me a paper bag of the right size and colour it had got colder so we weren't sitting out any more and the wasps of course had disappeared!

Mal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

We have been plagued by wasps this year, despite (because?) of it being our first year where they weren't nesting somewhere around our house. We got some of those Waspinator things, and I'm pleased to report that they give the wasps somewhere to rest before continuing to fly round the kitchen.
"If you want to catch a loon, you have to think like a loon"

battybird

Mal wrote:We have been plagued by wasps this year, despite (because?) of it being our first year where they weren't nesting somewhere around our house. We got some of those Waspinator things, and I'm pleased to report that they give the wasps somewhere to rest before continuing to fly round the kitchen.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: have hardly seen a wasp in Kent this year...now I know where they went! :cheers:
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Mal wrote:We got some of those Waspinator things, and I'm pleased to report that they give the wasps somewhere to rest before continuing to fly round the kitchen.
:lol: Sorry I shouldn't laugh at your misfortune but :lol:

On a more positive side, I've seen lots of ladybirds this year. Far more than in the last few years.

Zoe