All shook up

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
homegrown
Living the good life
Living the good life
Location: North Canterbury, NZ, somewhere between reality and heaven

All shook up

Well we had an earthquake in canterbury New zealand, and its done considerable damage, thankfully no loss of life but many of christchurch's beautiful old buildings may have to be condemmed as with quite a few houses. So if you can spare a thought for those who are now have to build or find new homes
Our remote ancestors said to their mother Earth, "We are yours."
Modern humanity has said to Nature, "You are mine."
The Green Man has returned as the living face of the whole earth so that through his mouth we may say to the universe, "We are one."

Author Unknown

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: All shook up

My OH heard it on the radio and asked if I had any relos down there and I said no but thought of you Richard. :hugish: Actually now I think of it I think my cousin might live there but not sure :scratch: , she was in Brissy for decades.

Hope everything will be back to normal for you soon re electricity etc and I'm sorry about the damage to the city's buildings. :( :( :(
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Rosendula

Oh dear! This is the first I've heard of it. So sorry for all the stress everyone is now suffering. Best wishes to you, your family, friends, and neighbours. :grouphug:
Rosey xx

old tree man
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

All the best to you Richard, and our positve waves go to anyone affected :flower: :flower:
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Glad you're all OK honey. :hugish:

Buildings, at least, can be replaced.

Are earthquakes common in NZ?

Anyone heard from Jed?
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

fran
Living the good life
Living the good life

Have just been reading about the earthquake. I am glad you are all okay and thoughts are with those who lost their homes. :(
Working towards living the dream on a barge.

my blog about the barge: http://www.fran-bonnieofclyde.blogspot.com

Keaniebean

Glad you are all safe and well Homegrown. I have not seen anything about this as I haven't watched any TV for a while. Sending over some hugs and positive thoughts for all those affected.xxx :hugish:
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

homegrown
Living the good life
Living the good life
Location: North Canterbury, NZ, somewhere between reality and heaven

Jeds in auckland i think which wasn't affected but ratsny and sky both live in canterbury so i hope their okay, thanks for your thoughts guys
Our remote ancestors said to their mother Earth, "We are yours."
Modern humanity has said to Nature, "You are mine."
The Green Man has returned as the living face of the whole earth so that through his mouth we may say to the universe, "We are one."

Author Unknown

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yah thanks guys I'm just nw of Auckland and we were fine - physically fine - didn't feel it. mentally shook up tho - have gotten out my list of lists again and am look at what preps I need to get sorted next.
Glad to hear you're mostly ok Homegrown
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

123sologne
Living the good life
Living the good life

I am glad to hear you are okay.
I saw news of it yesterday morning on Sky web-site. It did look terrible. I hope there will not be too many aftershocks.
Be safe and careful.

Sky
Living the good life
Living the good life

It was a huge earthquake!

I woke up to just a slight tremor and knew immediately what it was ... I was thinking sleepily that it was just a minor tremor and that I could soon drift back off to sleep but the shaking just got stronger and stronger, throwing us one way then the other.

Glass was smashing somewhere and the whole house was moving, the walls seemed to be rocking to and fro and then suddenly one wall started rocking one way and the other in the opposite direction.

I was stood up by this time at the side of the bed thinking 'sugar' maybe I should be getting my family out of the house, I don't remember running up the hallway but all I was thinking was, get to my son and tell him it was ok and it was' just' an earthquake ... the room was empty when I flung open his bedroom door and then I remembered he'd slept in his older brothers room to watch a film, I turned and headed back up the hallway but the ground was like jelly and I was being thrown into the walls, I bumped into my husband in the dark and he said I was like 'rent a panic' lol ... I wasn't panicking though, I've never been calmer, I just had one single thought in my mind, get to my son!

The noise was incredible, like a huge hurricane and express train combined!

When I got to my son he was still in bed and very wide eyed but not frightened at all, he thought it was awesome lol.

Then the quake started subsiding and we did a walk round the house inside to see what was broken, loads of glasses but amazingly nothing else ... the canary was a bit sea sick from all the rocking in his cage but we couldn't see anything else.
We did unplug everything from sockets before we headed back to bed in case of power surges.

As soon as we got back to bed there was another huge aftershock and they pretty much continued through the night.

We live near Oxford and got off very lightly compared to our friends and family in Kaiapoi and Christchurch City.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

A terrifying experience - glad you're all OK :hugish:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Millymollymandy

Wow I'm amazed you were calm enough to just go back to bed - I know I wouldn't have! :shock: :pale: Glad you are OK! The only earthquake I have experienced when living near Geneva was like the rumble of a huge lorry going past your house which makes it shake but we lived up a long private drive so we knew something funny was going on and we were in the basement so we went upstairs fast! The next day there was one in north Africa measuring another point on the Richter scale and it demolished the town. Amazing the difference between a 5 and a 6, which is why I could never understand how there was damage at 3 in England that time a few years ago, as a 5 point something did no damage in Geneva and in fact amongst people being interiewed on the radio a lot hadn't even noticed it! :dontknow:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

pelmetman

Must be very frightening and hope everyone is all OK.

We had an earthquake in Lincolnshire a few years ago and although it was a long way from us it still woke us up in the night. Of course it wasn't until the next morning on hearing the news we realised what it had been. At the time I thought we had burglars trying to break in.

Also experienced one whilst living in Essex, although thankfully most of the ones in this Country are only minor they do happen. Our last house, which was very old, was kind of distorted and surveyors put that down to historic earthquake damage. It was not far from Wivenhoe
which had experienced an earthquate many moons ago and people had been killed and properties damaged.

Sue :flower:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

battybird

Glad all out there are uninjured if shaken! My sister-in-law lives in Diamond Harbour and is over here with us at the moment but her 2 boys and husband were at home. They lost a chimney, the water tank and lots of china. The boys thought it was "exciting" Les was scared "sh******SS" :lol:
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon