Buy nothing new for a year challenge

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Helsbells
A selfsufficientish Regular

Buy nothing new for a year challenge

Anyone starting this is January?
Is there already a thread on it?
I am going to start in Jan, yip!

Keaniebean

Re: Buy nothing new for a year challenge

I should, I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY should but my will power is pants. I think I managed a month last last year but a whole year would be :pale: for me. I will give it some serious thinking time though.
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

Helsbells

I am allowing myself some exceptions such as pants and socks, food and equipment for my job like paints and photographic equipment.

okra
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 35.0
longitude: 33.4

I think I could manage without the pants and socks but food would be a challenge

theabsinthefairy

Did no new clothes for 2010. Was OK to start off with, plenty of sewing and refashioning going on, then I ran out of steam a bit, ruining a couple of pairs of trousers at work and got a bit frustrated when touring the sales.

On whole though I thought it was a good experience.

Not sure if I could do the nothing new for a year challenge - perhaps on a month by month basis. And only if 'new to me' doesn't count and I can have second hand stuff.
2010 is my year of projects - 365 days and 365 projects.

You can follow my progress on
absinthe fairy blog

my photos are avavilable here
absinthefairy

my shop is available here
mojaziemia

Helsbells

I am allowing myself second hand, otherwise it would just be buy nothing for a year challenge.
I am not gonna beat myself up if I do buy something new, but I will only do so if there is no other option.

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

I'd like to give this a go - lack of money makes it fairly necessary. I'm interested in how people decide what's excluded, though.

I should be able to do without new clothes (apart from underwear, which everyone seems to agree is excluded), but I will need shoes - I hope that's OK as I don't know how to make them! I may make myself some clothes, but will need to buy fabric - is that OK? Is it OK if make something just because I get an idea for something I'd like to try making, not because I actually need it?

Food - my self-sufficiency goal is to grow/make as much of our food as possible, but as we only moved house this autumn, I'll be planting in spring and won't be harvesting until summer/autumn, so I'll still be buying quite a lot until then.

Similarly on the starting out theme, there are several items of equipment I'd like/need: Jamming kettle, cider press, oil press, still for essential oils. I could make jam in saucepans, but it's much easier in a bit kettle. I've read instructions on how to make a cider press, but those are for large quantities and I think I'd rather have a small one like my dad used to have, at least to start with (we don't even have any apple trees yet!) I can't see an alternative to the oil press, but am I being realistic thinking I'll gather enough nuts to make it worthwhile? I can't see an alternative to a still, either, but essential oils really aren't necessary for my way of life, it's just something I fancy having a go at. You see, depending on my state of mind, these variously expensive bits of kit are either luxuries I can do without, or essential 'tools of the trade'. I'd be interested in what other people think.

Helsbells

I would try to get equipment second hand first and if I can't, then I would buy it new.
I would definitely make things just cos I want to, even if I don;t need to because it brings me joy to do so.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Zech wrote:I should be able to do without new clothes (apart from underwear, which everyone seems to agree is excluded), but I will need shoes - I hope that's OK as I don't know how to make them! I may make myself some clothes, but will need to buy fabric - is that OK? Is it OK if make something just because I get an idea for something I'd like to try making, not because I actually need it?
The idea zech, well - for me anyway when we tried it last year, is that it only applies to things that you don't need. So the main exercise became one of carefully deliberating whether you do need something or not. I found the experience very valuable and, having spent years espousing the need for retail therapy :roll: , very liberating. I developed a sort of mental checklist which has stayed with me since - do I need it, can I get it secondhand (assuming the answer to the first is yes), if not can I get it from somewhere other than T£sc0 and can I get it delivered (but that's because we're so far away from anywhere I prefer to do that than drive).

I would certainly say creativity is a need so go for it if you have an idea.

However, I'm afraid I'll be buying quite a lot this next few months. I'm starting a new business with my gal in the spring so we need quite a lot of equipment and other things to get started. I'll let you all know more about it nearer the time - it's all very exciting!!!!!

Having said that - we're so broke because of all this expense, the chances of us buying anything non-essential is remote anyway. :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Keaniebean

That sounds exciting Green Aura, I hope you will let us know how it's all going. :iconbiggrin:
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Will do honey.

Just remembered - another question of course is - can it be fixed rather than replaced.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

crowsashes

ooo id definatly try this again this year... the only problem is darkroom chems and paper... cant exactly NOT buy them at them moment.

still i think i may give it a shot with clothes ( need new shoes though as mine now have a hole worn through and they cant be resoled)

ive been doing it so far with decorating... aquiring everything but lining paper from freecycle etc. im trying to decorate on a shoe string budget and its doing ok :-D

123sologne
Living the good life
Living the good life

I am all for spending as little as possible on new things.
I always hunt in charity shops for clothe and shoes and all I have bought brand new in that department for the last 2 years now are some knickers, socks and one coat 2 winters ago in the sales...
I always use Freecycle or Freegle for many other bits for the house or the garden and I will keep looking there if I need anything. I also hunt on all the usual sites for second hand bits if I need anything.
So I will certainly keep on going with this and I hope to save lots of money and get great bargains ! :iconbiggrin:

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

I would lik to one day, but as the child is growing like a bean and needs new school uniform when she outgrows it, i can't.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

fran
Living the good life
Living the good life

Mrsflibble, why don't you suggest your school starts up a small used uniform shop. The seller and the school both get a percentage of each sale, the buyer gets a nearly new item (eg blazer, skirt, sports gear etc) cheap, everyone is a winner! My son's grammar school used to do this and as I was a single mum it was a lifeline for me.
I am going to join this 'buy nothing new challenge', except when we absolutely cannot buy secondhand or reuse/recycle or have to buy new for economy/environmental reasons for the barge. But hopefully saving money elsewhere means we will have the money when we have to buy new (if you see what I mean!!!!)

Merry Christmas everyone and a Happy New Year!
Working towards living the dream on a barge.

my blog about the barge: http://www.fran-bonnieofclyde.blogspot.com