How tall are you?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
homegrown
Living the good life
Living the good life
Location: North Canterbury, NZ, somewhere between reality and heaven

Re: How tall are you?

My mother is 5'11" my father 6', I'm 6'3" and a bit my brother 6' 1" my sister 5'9" my grandparents were shorter than my mum. My wife is 5'7"ish and already our ten year old is about to surpass her height and our 4yr old is wearing size 7 clothing while our two yr old is wearing between 3 and 5 size depending on country of origin, but he looks like he might catch and surpass his brothers, as for genes who knows I had a friend who was 5'6" while the rest of his family was all around six foot.
Our remote ancestors said to their mother Earth, "We are yours."
Modern humanity has said to Nature, "You are mine."
The Green Man has returned as the living face of the whole earth so that through his mouth we may say to the universe, "We are one."

Author Unknown

phil55494
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I'm 187cm (about 6'2" in old money) a bit taller than my dad (6'). No idea about grandparents and beyond.
I do know that the house I live in was designed for shorter people (pre 1850s row of stone cottages) by the simple fact that if I'm not careful going through doorways it hurts! By contrast my mum and dad's house (brick terrace built 1901 says the big plaque above the door) I don't have the same proble

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

The human race is getting taller all the time. In different areas/countries etc. trhere are variations .some taller "tribes" some shorter, some predisposed to certain looks .etc etc......
Apparently to reach the full height your genetic make-up predisposes you to, you need to have the correct and best nutrition up to age 7. If you dont you wont reach your full potential height, but you would pass on your full genetic height, even though you didnt reach it.

That does explain why here in Southern Spain. which was avery poor area for many many years, you see grandparents who barely make 5ft,(if that) parents just a little taller, and the grandchildren and beyond who have outgrown them before even reaching their teens. 30 yrs ago it was nigh on impossible to buy shoes / clothes if you wore more than a 38 shoe(women) and a 41 (men)
and most clothing was too short if you were tall..... now much larger shoe szes are readily avilable ( not just in tourist hospots)
although a lot of the clothing does seem to cater for the moree vertically challenged. ( or the super tall)
Im 5´8" ( and shrinking i think). albeit I apparently should really stand 5´10 (ish) but dont due to a twisted spine, but the 5´10 would be my "genetic" height to pass on to the kids. eldest is just 18, still growing but must be a fraction over 6" now

Shirleymouse
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 52.5
longitude: -1.9

This has always concerned me... every generation seems to be taller than the last as proven by the size of beds in old stately homes and low ceilings and doors in older houses. Presumably this means that in the future, all sort of things will have to be redisigned. Not just doors on houses but also shops, buses, planes etc to all for the increase.

I'm 5'7'', mum about 3 inches shorter and dad is about 6'2'' so I suppose my height makes sense. My husband is a lot taller than both his parents.

becks77
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

This is really interesting, I am 5'4" (honest) my little brother however is 6'3" and our elder sister is 5'41/4" (always says she's taller than me!!), however our maternal grandfather and his father were all tall but the women always shorter so I guess it follows for us anyway the ladies are short stops and the chaps are tallies! Makes for funny photos though!! :lol:
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

Bikil
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 40° 46' N
longitude: 111° 58' W

My Mom was 5'5" and my Dad 5'9" so I always thought I'd be 5'7". It seemed logical to me when I was a kid. I was quite disappointed to be shorter than both of them. *sigh* I'm actually 5'3" and frankblues is 6'3" so we are curious about what may happen to our daughter (who is almost 3 now, so we don't know). I had heard somewhere that you can figure out how tall a kid's going to be by doubling their height at a certain age (I've heard 2 and I've heard 3). Has anyone heard that? If that's true, she is about 35" now, so that would make her 5'10" supposedly. Anyway, it will be interesting to see.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
- Douglas Adams

okra
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 35.0
longitude: 33.4

I am taller than both my parents. One brother an one sister are the same height as our parents but myself and my other sister are taller by about 6 inches. Must be a combination of genes and nurture