The haar

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

The haar

Just wanted someone to know that if I'm never heard from again, I'll probably be back in about 200 years*. The haar is currently right up to the fence, the loch and mountains have completely disappeared and I feel like I'm in a cocoon! Oh and all the visitors have gone home!!!!!

Lovely :cheers: :lol:

*Brigadoon reference.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Mrs H
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: The haar

The what is at the fence?!? Xx

spider8
A selfsufficientish Regular

The sea haar, a mist that rolls in quite quickly. We've got it here too and it does look eerie and spooky but I like it.........mainly because I'm tucked up in the house and don't have to be out in it :pirate: .
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

Graye

A bit further south we call them sea frets. Not much chance of one heer tonight though, it's pouring. I love them as long as I don't have to go out far - a bit like wading through a thick wet white fluffy blanket over everything.
Growing old is much better then the alternative!

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Used to be a common word (oh, a thousand years ago or so) and it's a common placename element. Those of you who've seen a sea-fog will understand why it also came to mean boundary and grey (and, as an aside, why boundaries used to be marked by grey stones).

There's a Harworth close to me (boundary farm) which sits spot on the Yorks/Notts border.

Irrelevant to the thread, but I thought it interesting :iconbiggrin:

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Millymollymandy

Interesting. I saw my first sea fret last year (and first time I'd ever heard of the word either). It was really spooky. All these sad people sitting on the beach freezing their butts off whilst half a mile inland it was hot and sunny! :lol: Needless to say, have car will travel - back inland!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

First time I heard the word was staying in Fife (East coast) over the winter, the Haar comes in from the cold North Sea (I think it is the warm air from the land hitting the cold air from the sea)

I have always lived in the West and you don't get a Haar coming in off the gulf stream in the Atlantic the same, certainly not like we saw in Fife.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

MKG wrote:Used to be a common word (oh, a thousand years ago or so) and it's a common placename element. Those of you who've seen a sea-fog will understand why it also came to mean boundary and grey (and, as an aside, why boundaries used to be marked by grey stones).

There's a Harworth close to me (boundary farm) which sits spot on the Yorks/Notts border.

Irrelevant to the thread, but I thought it interesting :iconbiggrin:

Mike
Thanks for the history lesson, Mike. I've learned something new, from inside my cocoon.

Still here this morning although we can just see the edge of the loch - still no mountains :lol:
Maggie

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Annpan wrote:I have always lived in the West and you don't get a Haar coming in off the gulf stream in the Atlantic the same
Oh yes you do, or "Oh yes WE do", doesn't happen very often but is most common in July for some reason. Several years ago they had the Tall Ships race start from Castletownbere and we had haar for all of the three days they were around and funnily enough the Tall Ships were in Waterford this year and we had haar for the weekend they were there ... spooky or what?

Other times especially in spring, we get common old sea fog rolling up the bay, but that stays close to the water and we can usually see right over the top to the other side, now that DOES look eerie.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Annpan wrote:the Haar comes in from the cold North Sea
We've got clear Atlantic here Ann. The most North-Westerly village on the mainland.
Maggie

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well there we go then.... I have rarely seen anything as heavy as the Haar in the West, nor have I seen it travel inland the same.... it travels right up the Forth in the East. It was my Sister that reckoned you only get it off the North Sea cause it is colder.

I'm not pretending I ever lived on the coast or anything, but still... 30 years in the West and never heard of it.... a few weeks in the East (not on the coast) and everyone was talking about it :dontknow:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Nature'sCalendarBev
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I used to live in Forres, between Nairn and Elgin and sometimes you could stand on top of Califer hill and look down at where the town should have been but you werejust floating in an island of haar. An amazing sight to see :-)

Mrs H
Living the good life
Living the good life

It sounds pretty cool!! ;)