Favourite board games.

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
southeast-isher
A selfsufficientish Regular

Favourite board games.

Mine is probably Scrabble and Othello/Reversi. What's yours?

RuthG
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Favourite board games.

scrabble and trivial pursuit

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Risk :mrgreen: and there is one called Ocean Trader that my sister has but probably not available anymore the Settlers of Catan game is pretty good too.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Mrs H
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hungry Hippo's!!!! I loved this as a child and someone gave it to Finley last year for xmas, I was over the moon!!! My hubby is shouting buckaroo beside me!

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

scrabble and rummicub - the tile version not the card game!
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

wulf

Pandemic. It is a co-operative game. Each of you plays a randomly selected role and work together to try and cure the world of four serious diseases. However the turn of the cards each turn spreads the infection and can bring up epidemic events which cause quiet areas to burst out and infected areas to overflow. It is quite tricky to win but what I love is that you work together and either all win or, at least, all lose together.

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I wonder if our choice of favourite games is a reflection of our personalities

Wulf goes for a co-operative game where you try as a team to cure world-wide diseases.

I go for a game where you individually strive for world domination and even the throwing of the dice can become violent.

ummmm..... :scratch:

:shock:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

Annpan wrote:I wonder if our choice of favourite games is a reflection of our personalities

Wulf goes for a co-operative game where you try as a team to cure world-wide diseases.

I go for a game where you individually strive for world domination and even the throwing of the dice can become violent.

ummmm..... :scratch:

:shock:
We've had to temporarily ban Risk in our household because of one such incident. My 7-year-old threw the dice at my face because I attacked her :lol: Oh, and my OH comes up with the cutest pet names for me during games.

We tend to play card games rather than board - like Magic the Gathering, Fluxx, Ninja Burger...

crowsashes

Scattergories
scrabble
chinese checkers

scattergories after a few drinks.. always ensues hilarity in this house :)

spider8

Monopoly was a game banned when we were kids as we always fought and WW3 would break out........probably no better now when playing it as adults! Jenga is fun when you've had a few drinks (probably because you don't have to use your brain) but my favourite is Trivial Persuit.
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

ajs88
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

scrabble and backgammon are my usuals but i also love Chinese checkers although i dont have a set

wulf

Annpan wrote:I wonder if our choice of favourite games is a reflection of our personalities...
Possibly. I'm probably far enough away from you safely say that, judging from your world-dominating inclinations! :iconbiggrin:

I also found a co-operative version of Settlers of Catan which I prefer to the original. Played competitively, I find that the game seems to drag on with at least one of the players always feeling frustrated because the luck of the dice starves them of resources. Co-operatively, it becomes more of a puzzle challenge to try and and the maximum number of combined points within a specified period of time (and it also works with just two players, so my wife and I can play it when we don't have guests round).

Wulf

clanpowell
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

We go for Carcassonne or Magic the Gathering in the Powell household. Both are games that always different. Carcassonne has loads of add ons so you can play a whole load of different versions with lots of different optional rules/variations. They are always adverts for Settlers of Catalan in the boxes so I assume it would also appeal to those of you who play that game.
Magic the Gathering is a card game and there are literally millions of different cards you can put into your deck (Part of the skill of the game is building a deck of cards to beat your opponent with) A must if your a fantasy/scifi fan. Only problem is that it can be a bit addictive and, if you're anything like me you'll become obsessed and spend far too much time and money on it.

Davie Crockett
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.12292
longitude: 2.30910

We like reversi, Scrabble and hnefatafl. The last one is also known as the viking game. It's a good one for occupying the children on beach holidays as the pieces can be coloured pebbles which they can collect before playing on an 11x11 grid. Board rules and game strategy here: http://www.homespunweb.co.uk/vikings/#
Time flies like an arrow; vinegar flies like an uncovered wine must.

wulf

clanpowell wrote:We go for Carcassonne or Magic the Gathering in the Powell household...
I do like Carcassonne too, so I'm not all about co-operative games.

I've tried MtG in the past but put it down when I realised that progression was all about spending money to get more and more cards. I can see how it is a great game from the producers point of view but the consumer-cynic part of me didn't like the temptation to buy ever more packs in the hope of getting a card would trump the ones your fellow players were getting as they, too, bought ever more packs.

Wulf