Can you trust your mechanic?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
StripyPixieSocks
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Can you trust your mechanic?

I totally trust my mechanic / garage, he's never put a foot wrong so far and always cuts us a fair deal and specializes in older / classic cars (ours is a H reg 1991 Mazda 323).

Newer new cars are not built to last, we had our car MoT's a couple of years ago and the 2 year old car in front of us failed on almost everything and our sailed through with nothing wrong.

We also fix most of the stuff ourselves anyway... so far we've done the rear suspension springs, entire new set of brake pipes, swapped out the radiator, replaced the distributor, replaced the battery, replaced the cam belt, alternator belt, power steering belt and replaced the entire exhaust along with the basic servicing and tune ups.

My OH used to be a mechanic anyway and I have worked on cars for years too (mostly body repair) but between us and the garage we don't do a bad job :)

Bulworthyproject
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Until we moved to Devon, we could never trust our mechanics and used to get more than one quote.
Now we can totally trust our mechanic. He gives us free advice including whether it is something that we can fix ourselves. His prices are reasonable and he is too overworked to create work for himself. He has always lived in a village near the woods that we now live in and has built up a great reputation over a long time.
https://www.bulworthyproject.org.uk

Bulworthy Project is an experiment in low-impact living and working

Follow us on Twitter @bulworthy

Stonehead

I trust ours because:

1. I know a bit about cars and do a lot of work myself. If it has a fault, I can usually identify the cause and decide if it's a job for me or the mechanics.

2. Our mechanics are very good at walking people through the problem, possible solutions, possible worst case scenarios, and likely costs. Even the OH with no car knowledge can follow what they say.

3. When they're doing the job, they're very good at phoning if something unexpected comes up. They're also very good at working with a budget in mind, so they'll prioritise jobs carefully if the budget is tight.

4. They have no problem with me sourcing parts. If they source parts, they get good quality ones but add a mark-up to cover their time. They also use just a couple of major parts suppliers. If I supply the parts, I can spend some time shopping around for cheaper sources of quality parts.

5. When the job is done, they keep all the parts they removed and show me what was wrong.

6. Their invoicing is very detailed, with clear explanation of what parts were used and why, what time was spent on which jobs and why.

7. They'll often take pork, eggs, vegetables or home-brew as part-payment for the labour side of the bill.

8. As a sideline/hobby, they prepare racing and rally cars.

But you won't find many mechanics like this!

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

happyhippy wrote:
baldybloke wrote:If you get really stuck, I know a few mechanics in the Devizes area.
Thanks BB,I work in Trowbridge so am really looking for someone out that way or closer to home in Atworth xx
The only one I can think of out that way would be Neil Townsend at Boughton Gifford. Used to know him from motorcycling, but don't know what he's like. Will make some enquiries and get back to you.
Has anyone seen the plot, I seem to have lost mine?

happyhippy

baldybloke wrote:
happyhippy wrote:
baldybloke wrote:If you get really stuck, I know a few mechanics in the Devizes area.
Thanks BB,I work in Trowbridge so am really looking for someone out that way or closer to home in Atworth xx
The only one I can think of out that way would be Neil Townsend at Boughton Gifford. Used to know him from motorcycling, but don't know what he's like. Will make some enquiries and get back to you.
Ooh Thanks BB,I know that garage because sometimes I drive through Broughton to work!I've often wondered what he's like?Well if he's into bikes,he'd have to be trustworthy! :iconbiggrin: (I love motorcycles!)

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

He also used to run The Brewery (pub) at Seend Cleeve and race in the Manx TT. Have checked with a friend in Melksham who also gives the thumbs up.

happyhippy

Hmmm Thats interesting BB!Come to think of it,he must be doing something right because everytime I've driven past there,there are always plenty of cars outside,so that means plenty of happy customers I think!!! :iconbiggrin: Thanks for asking your mate in Melksham for me,word of mouth is everything hey?xx

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

I can only trust my mechanic because he's my husband and therefore the owner of the car!

150,000 miles and going strong...ish.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

mrsflibble wrote:I can only trust my mechanic because he's my husband and therefore the owner of the car!

150,000 miles and going strong...ish.
The husband or the car?

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

hahahahaha!!! the husband has done more miles
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

happyhippy

Hi folks,thought I'd give an update!Well I ended up ringing the dealership and telling them I was getting a second opinion.They then dropped the price considerably from their first quote and as one of the items that needed fixing was a coolant seal leak,I did'nt really want to keep shopping around so went with the dealership.All seems fine so far,but I will get my next MOT at a council garage,and will also get any work done at a smaller independant garage close to where I live,so yep I'm moving on! :iconbiggrin: