Hep Ragwort

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5139
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: North Notts.

Re: Hep Ragwort

Post: # 244173Post MKG »

Here's another link - this time without a single axe to grind ...

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... 212800.htm

Read that and you'll find that ragwort MUST be ingested to become anywhere near fatally toxic. The toxins are held in the plant in relatively innocuous form. It's the digestive system (particularly the liver) which reforms the toxins into a dangerous form, and then there is a cumulative effect.

There is no mechanism for skin absorption but, if you've been handling the stuff, obviously wash your hands before sticking 'em in your mouth. If skin absorption was a vector for the poison, then most grazing animals would fall down dead on the spot.

Formic acid, if present in quantity, can make you go blind. Now how many people get into a panic about the formic acid content of a nettle sting?

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

User avatar
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 6631
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:06 pm
Location: Bristol
Contact:

Re: Hep Ragwort

Post: # 244175Post Andy Hamilton »

Good link and info, cheers mike.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Post Reply