TV licence - are we being conned?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Islaskye
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

TV licence - are we being conned?

The inlaws have been living with us since early this year after moving back to sunny UK from South Africa and have just bought a house. They are busy setting up bills and direct debits and set up a tv licence. They told them they have to pay the full years licence even though they only move into the house next month! is this right? students get refunds for the time they're back at home during the summer and you are able to apply for a refund for any quarters you dont need the licence for so why do they have to pay for previous months that they didnt have a tv?
It seems to me that if you do have to pay then some one who moves into thier first property in february would have to pay a full years licence for just one months use???
Has anyone else come across this? :dontknow:

Graye
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: TV licence - are we being conned?

I'm not 100% sure on this but I think it's for 12 months from the date you pay rather than for a calendar year. I'm sure someone else will know without me having to go searching out my licence to check though...
Growing old is much better then the alternative!

spider8

We paid for our first ever tv licence in April 1984 and we've paid it on that date ever since so there shouldn't be a problem :dontknow: .
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

Islaskye

now that would make sense!! I wonder if the inlaws have miss heard the licencing guy as he ran through things, possibly!! Will check out the statement when it comes through.
:salute:

noplasticbags
Tom Good
Tom Good

I'm guessing they were actually told "a" year's licence. I just started having to buy a licence and mine started from Sept 2011. If there is any choice in when they move (or at least declare to the licencing!) be aware that it is back-dated to the start of the current month. I bought mine on 28 Sept, but it only runs until 31.08.12 so I lost almost a month.

pumpy

I think you'll find that if they are moving into their new home, next month, then they will need a license which covers them from 1st Nov 2011, valid untill 30-11-12, when it will need to be renewed.( same as a car tax really ). We pay ours monthly by Direct Debit, & find it far more agreeable. :icon_smile:
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.