Alternative Christmas Dinner

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
thesunflowergal
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Alternative Christmas Dinner

Sounds like a fab idea Sue. I will be following your lead if Kai ends up working this year. I will watch this thread with interest to get some ideas.
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think I would opt for a lobster, or maybe a whole salmon ... cooked the day before, left in the cooking liquor and served with a salad with maybe some salad ingredients that didn't come from your garden and cost a small fortune. :iconbiggrin:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

I usually do something quick and easy like steak and chips. This leaves me more time to sit in front of the fire with a good book.
Has anyone seen the plot, I seem to have lost mine?

cideristhefuture
Tom Good
Tom Good

what about something 'chucked'in the pot for a long time...

meat, veg spuds.. long walk and come home to a warm house with dinner done?

good joint and home grown veg is always a winner.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I'd just started to write something similar as cideristhefuture. What about a daube? It takes a bit of preparation but that's the day before. Bung it in the oven before your walk, with some veg ready to go. Fabulous.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

I think I'll follow your lead for our Yule dinner to be honest. that sounds lovely, especially if I can get some duck rillets to go with it. if not it'll be roast free range duck crown with cherry sauce and home made cranberry and pecan stuffing. actually, I might do both. deli for lunch, duck for dinner ;)

the first year we celebrated Yule we had roast pork, last year we had a chinese banquet with home made duck pancakes (my fmaily ADORE duck, I swore sophie would end up growing a back last year!) and steamed dim sum. Yes, I spent a couple of days rolling and steaming and marinading etc. it was so special and lovely.

if jim wins the work lottery* for xmas shift this year, I'll still be doing turkey because we all like it! I'm already saving a quid a week towards our free range crown.

*work have a lottery because the mas day shift is so popular. it's double time plus a half (works out to around £45 per hour; 10 hour shift!!!) and a day off in lieu. names are drawn from a hat. there's also a lottery for boxing day which is time and a half plus a day off. last year's boxing day shift nearly paid for xmas/yule/winterfest.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

chilitony
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

i always plan xmas dinner and its never turkey.
last year got suckling pig, but there was no way i was cooking it on a spit in the garden when it was snow, so went to back up
plan han had goose. cooked suckling pig on new years day on spit, took 5 hours and had crackling all over, every one turned up
Attachments
2011_01_02_20_46_21_spitroastpig2.jpg
2011_01_02_20_46_21_spitroastpig2.jpg (37.37 KiB) Viewed 4813 times
Last edited by chilitony on Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
captus nidore culinae (caught by the odor of the kitchen)

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

We boycott Christmas altogether, so dinner is just whatever is for dinner. Our "turkey alternative" for special occasions like Thanksgiving is millet loaf with onion gravy.

boboff

We have done this the last few years with the Family,

Last year it was home made Gammon from our pig, the year before T Bone steak and chips.

My feeling is that you should cook what you normally wouldn't eat, but really enjoy, because it's too expensive. i Like the deli idea!! might nick that.

Although OH has said she would like Turkey this year, but I am hankering after a big leg of Lamb.

I always cook in our house, so the 5 hour roast with 12 guests which I have done for a while, I just do not want to do anymore.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Millymollymandy

We have turkey because it is different! We never eat turkey any other time of the year. Thankfully in France it is impossible to buy a big one so they are all about 2-3kg, the smallest of which is pretty big for us two anyway.

What is in the 2nd photo above.... is it the ghost of Christmas past? :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

old tree man
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

We are getting a goose from our friend and stuffing it with oranges and herbs, this will feed us and our children and our grandchildren thats 25 people, fortunatley our youngest daughter has a big house, we all chip in as well with the cooking, home brew and the cost and make each other a secret santa gift its a wonderful day....... we will all be tired but really happy :drunken: :flower: :flower: :flower:
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

boboff

Brilliant.

Sounds like the Chistmas from the Roberta Young?(The one who played the Inspector in the Bill for a while, cockey with short black hair) Boigraphy!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

The Riff-Raff Element

I make a raised game pie around Christmas. I keep a lookout for any cheap bits of game going (and sometimes it can be very cheap indeed) for about six weeks beforehand and freeze it. I add this to any odd bits of duck left over from our duck rearing and some chopped pork. There's plenty of recipes out there, but I'll happily post mine if you wish.

A raised pie is a bit of trouble to make, but not difficult, it can be done several days in advance. It's not the main event on Christmas day: it lives in the fridge so anyone can take a slice if their blood/ lard level drops at all. But I've often thought that if we were only two on the 25th (boy do we have a housefull at the moment) then this would be what I'd want.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Ooh, never mind Christmas - I'd like your recipe for the game pie - I have had a couple of pigeon breasts loitering in the freezer for ages - too small to use alone :lol:

I'm guessing it's a hot water crust?
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

prison break fan

I always do the full turkey thing for my son and his family, but this year I really can't face it, so my daughter and I are going camping for 5 days. Please think positive for good weather for me! pbf.