Apple incident!

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
MidnightFarm
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Apple incident!

There we were last night, I was washing up and the better half writing (we try to do as much as we can in the same room to save on energy usage). When suddenly there was a phssssshh noise coming from the direction of the fridge. It was an unusual yet familiar noise, even the cat stopped eating to see what it was! I thought the new-ish fridge had lost it's gas or something similar, so with bubbled hands Investigation was under way. We looked behind the fridge, the freezer and then inside them both, where the problem made itself clear. Inside the fridge there was liquid dripping from the top, in the butter, ham, pickles etc. I went in for a closer look and then, yes you may have guessed it, the over powering smell of cider revealed the cause. Our homemade apple juice from a recent pressing day had fermented to the extent the it had forced its way through the seal on the lid and pressure washed the inside of the fridge!
Being one to take opportunities as and when they arrise, I couldn't resist sampling a little. It was surprisingly good considering (I drank it from the bottle , not the dishcloth!). I was tempted to drink it all to test the alcohol level (purely scientific I assure you), but the ever wise missus reminded me about the practical reasons and the fact that it wasn't anaerobic may have more than alcohol in it. Sadly I disposed of it, but I now have plans for next year's apples...........

spider8
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Apple incident!

We once had some lovely damson wine fermenting in the airing cupboard of our brand new married quarter and it went BANG! It re-coloured all the cupboard as well as all the towels etc., and being a deep red it took loads of layers of good old magnolia to make it look okay again :oops: .
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

Millymollymandy

Probably as well it exploded inside the fridge rather than all over your kitchen. :iconbiggrin:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I, too, have been the victim of the exploding home brew. It's horribly sticky when it happens. I hope you managed to clean it up ok. At least no-one was hurt.

Zoe

MidnightFarm

Actually, now I think about it that's not the first time....
Many, many years ago when I was a young teen I spent some of my paper round money on a demijohn and other wine making kit from a car boot sale. My bedroom housed the airing cupboard, so I could covertly have a go at making my own alcohol (better than the fake ID route!) without my parents knowing! After a few experiments, I discovered that wine was a bit conflicting with my sweet tooth, so set upon trying something else. I found some bananas in the pantry and thought they'd do the job nicely. It must have been about 10 days into fermentation when one day I came home from school to find an unpleasant smell in my room. My home brew had gone a bit wild, and the bits of banana had blocked the airlock. The resulting pressure build up blew the top clean off and there was the entire contents of the demijohn plastered all over the inside of the airing cupboard, on the towels, bed linen, pillow cases........

spider8

Yup, banana wine definitely beats damson for explosive yukkiness!
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gave some bottles to my (now ex) girlfriend - luckily when corks still existed - popped their tops in the kitchen and they woke up to two very drunk dogs!
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

boboff

Elderflower champagne with me, it's punched a hole through the plasterboard in the larder, and smashed a plastic box with lid. Yuk
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

boboff wrote:Elderflower champagne with me, it's punched a hole through the plasterboard in the larder, and smashed a plastic box with lid. Yuk
I also resemble this statement too :oops: having painted the inside of the pantry with the stuff - ants for africa!
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength