Should spell checkers be mandatory ?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Should spell checkers be mandatory ?

I ain't got no money!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Milims

I quite ike spell checkers - they come up with some wonderful alternatives. I once typed "Rubberised", which it didn't understand and came up with "Rubber Maid" instead. The mind boggles! :lol:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

JuzaMum
Living the good life
Living the good life

Is there a spell checker for posting on here? I hate bad spelling - especially when I don't realise I have misspelt until after posting - hurrah for the edit button.

JuzaMum (Secret spelling Nazi)
Happiness isn't having what you want but wanting what you have.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Given the number of witches on here, spell-checking should be mandatory.

But then, Jeremy Kyle informs ... insissting on spelcheque iss just dissin' nay? Doan diss aniwon man coz dat meanz dat (shake wrist with hand at right angles) like you sayin dat am not az gud az you. Yeah... wa'evvah. Iss no' like am fick or anyfing. Yous lot doan unnerstan ...

There are reasons for non-conformist spelling. The above is not one of them.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

merlin
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 42.165085
longitude: 26.567146

I think American should be recognised as a language in it’s own right. I don’t think it’s fair that over 300 million people should forced to try to speak a second language.
A few short films of us making home made food and drink in Bulgaria
http://inbulgaria.co.uk/

merlin
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 42.165085
longitude: 26.567146

In any case, It is a bit mean poking fun at people that clearly can’t see the mistakes they are making. Not very friendly at all! It’s nice read everybody’s posts.
A few short films of us making home made food and drink in Bulgaria
http://inbulgaria.co.uk/

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

A spell checker would be nice. I, too, am old enough to think that correct spelling is important. The sad thing is that those people who speak/write English as a second language often do so better than many of us Brits!

But I don't care about the odd spelling mistake if the message is a good one.

Zoe

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

i have dyslexia and never find it hard to read badly spelt posts so never find it a problem
i do tend to use spell checks
but they do miss i lot especally if i use i word in the wrong context
my big problem tends to be writing words in wrong order like
cream clotted or bean broad
it it never picks that up as it is spelt right
Darn that Wabbit

wulf

Didn't we used to have a built in spullchicker? Much as I like the idea of everything being spelled correctly I am not sure that spell checking technology is up to the job. If you know the right way to write what you want to write, spell checking can be a hindrance; if you type quickly, it can even introduce unexpected errors.

I think the place for spell checking is on the poster's web browser; it is their tool to help them communicate. For myself, picky as I am, I can put up with a few errors rather than getting het up about someone dotting the Ts and crossing the Is.

Wulf

ps. all mistakes, archaisms and misquoted sayings in this post are my own work.
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wulf you are right We did have a built in spell checker but it never worked!

Well, I'm one of the biggest culprits for misspelt words and the odd grammer mistake. I was disagnosed with dylexia at 28 whilst in my first year at Uni as an undergraduate. I was given a computer to aid my studies and on it this site was first created. I doubt it would have happened had I not been given the computer. So in a perverse sort of way this site is owed to spelling and grammer mistakes.

I have to take longer than most to write a post if I'm to ensure its written correctly. I also don't really understand when people get so wound up about the odd error as long as the post can be understood. I do slightly object to da txt spk tho.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

gregorach

Andy Hamilton wrote:I also don't really understand when people get so wound up about the odd error as long as the post can be understood.
It's a medical condition. :icon_smile:
Cheers

Dunc

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

]It's a medical condition. Is that the one called anal retentive? :icon_smile:

Personally I don't see any difference between being irritated by by spelling errors and being irritated by appearance. For example a long time ago,it was widely accepted that long haired men didn't care about their appearance. Later that moved to an understanding that "yes" that was the truth and it was a statement not an error.
Oh and fat people are both lazy and greedy. :roll:
None of us would constantly correct a person with a speech impediment ( I hope) so why get hot under the collar about such an unimportant issue.
If nothing else think of your own blood pressure.
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's not spelling that gets me. Punctuation can be a cryptological nightmare. But sheer linguistic laziness ...

Could of, would of, should of ... really gets my goat.

Sikth rather than sixth (although that's a spoken crime rather than a written one, and perpetuated by the BBC - Jeremy Paxman in particular).

We was ... makes me cringe.

English spelling is full of historical nonsense, so I can sympathise with people who don't get it because there's not a lot of logic to get hold of. I understand the problems of dyslexia. But straightforward bad English from native English speakers is wrong in a very basic sense.

In my opinion, of course.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

oldjerry

[quote="trinder"]]It's a medical condition. Is that the one called anal retentive? :icon_smile:

Personally I don't see any difference between being irritated by by spelling errors and being irritated by appearance. For example a long time ago,it was widely accepted that long haired men didn't care about their appearance.

I think,with respect, there's a qualatative difference here ,your appearance is a personal choice,and sod all to do with anyone else,but what we're talking about here is people trying ,presumably,to communicate with someone else.
Everyone,especially me,makes loads of mistakes,but hopefully most people can read it even if it is pretentious drivel.Dyslexia aside ,some people seem to revel in their illiteracy and it has become to be a form of inverted snobbery.

(bloody Hard Times again).

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

oldjerry wrote:Dyslexia aside ,some people seem to revel in their illiteracy and it has become to be a form of inverted snobbery.
Very true OJ, but the difficulty arises trying to distinguish between those that are doing it on purpose and those that are linguistically challenged.
I have no problem with obvious spelling errors, the annoying ones that get to me are those that you have to stop and spend time trying to work out what on earth the word is. Those ones disrupt the flow of your reading, sometimes to the extent that I just give up and go to the next message.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.