Anyone bought a VW T3(T25) Camper?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
bonniethomas06
A selfsufficientish Regular

Anyone bought a VW T3(T25) Camper?

We have been wanting a camper van for ages and ages...finally have found one that seems reasonable (our budget is a minute £2k) it is a 1980 aircooled hightop. MOT 'till May. Apparently 48k on the clock (although I suspect it has gone round once at least!).

And most importantly, it is red :iconbiggrin:

The thing is, I haven't seen it - I am in Bristol, it is in Manchester So it means a 300 mile trip to pick it up. We have first refusal on it as we have paid a small deposit - not the end of the world if we don't buy it. Does anyone have any advice about what to look for to make sure I am not buying a puck?

Should say that the garage owner said he knows it is underpriced buy about £1000, but it was a part exchange (it is a garage that sells much more expensive cars) and he just wants it gone.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Graye

Re: Anyone bought a VW T3(T25) Camper?

I must admit to not knowing a great deal about the mechanics of cars. But something over 30 years old has to be treated warily I suspect. Is there any service history to verify that mileage?

As it's at a garage could you start by asking the garage if they would consider putting another 12 month's MOT on it? Their reaction to that request might tell you more than anything else! That said, I know VWs are reliable etc. Hopefully someone else will come up with specific areas to check over with that model.

Good luck!
Growing old is much better then the alternative!

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

Make sure you join a really good VW owner club :lol: . Joking apart (you know who you are) not only are they likely to know the vehicle they are often a good source of info on parts. Oh and cheaper insurance too.
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

boboff

I have been looking, if it's a 2.5ltr Diesel go for it, that is the right sort of price, especially if the spec inside is how you want it.
As has been said MOT is an important safety blanket, get as much as you can.
Other than that, just ask if he can drive it for 10 miles with you in it, before you buy, watch how he uses the clutch, gears, and especially watch how the engine heats up, especially going up a long Hill, if that temp gauge starts to move then leave it alone, head gaskets and resultant damage can be really expensive. Obviously check the water in the Rad is not got oil residue, and the Oil (from the dip stick) has not got water or grit residue. Everything thing else is really in the lap of the Gods. A recent service and a cam belt change are also great, as if you haven't got a reciept for this in the last 6 to 12 months then I would really recommend that you do this yourself, and this can cost up to £500.

Did I mention I am an accountant and not a mechanic, oh ok, just thought I would, as I may well be talking out my preverbial.

Oh and enjoy the VW forum, apparently there are two in the UK, you probably want the biggest one......
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

bonniethomas06

Thanks all and especially Boboff, will make sure I check these things out. It is a 2ltr Petrol (not so worried about the cost as OH can claim from work luckily). MOT runs out in May -but it passed last May with only minors and mileage was recorded - it has only done a couple of hundred miles since then. Spec inside looks fine and has everything we need. in it. Presumably we will be able to take for a test drive, so will make sure it is up a hill.

Am told that it is also important to check out the fuel tank - pre 1986 models have a big dent in the tank which collects water and rusts - and underneath anything which is made of rubber as water collects there too and causes issues.

Will get it serviced, but this is likey to be by my dad! (who is not a mechanic either!)

Thanks for the advice. Will check out the forums.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

John Headstrong

I own a VW beetle the best forum for all VW is http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/

At that price it will probably need some work, but all panels and parts are available and there is always someone that used to own one around.
for my bug I have a rolling list of things that I need to do to keep on top of it, mine is tax free and only costs £100 a year to insure but I have just had a new exhaust and other work done.

for parts http://www.machine7.com/ and http://www.vwheritage.com/ but asking for the parts in the VZi forum will normally get you a recon or used part for less.

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

If you are a member of the RAC or AA you could always ask them to do a vehicle check.
Has anyone seen the plot, I seem to have lost mine?

bonniethomas06

Thanks all, sorry to waste your time, but the garage just called to say that some shaft or other has gone and they are not selling it any more.

Was gutted momentarily, but now have found Talbot high-top that we may get instead. Maybe the hand of fate - it's U-GLEE but massive inside. Suppose you can't see the hideous exterior if you are inside it eh?

My blog...

John Headstrong

bonniethomas06 wrote:Suppose you can't see the hideous exterior if you are inside it eh?
my mate says that because he has a fiat multipla. :iconbiggrin:

The talbots are can be good vans, my garage has one for a recovery truck, so they must be worth the work.

I find cheap small horse boxes/pony boxes (3.5t) can be good value for money, the underneath is easier to access and work on than a camper, and can handle rough ground better then a camper. Other advantages are, you can convert the inside as you want, you still look like a horse box from the outside (so thieving types don't think, "there is someones stuff in there" when it is parked up)

anyway, whatever you get, we want pics !

bonniethomas06

Thanks John, that is good to know.

I can imagine horse boxes are great - no need to put in a high top, but to be honest we are totally clueless when it comes to technical things, so need something which is pretty much good to go.

Here is the ad for the one we are going to buy tomorrow:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-moto ... n/96951797

It isn't very 'cool' but it's massive - and has a toliet! Wahoo!

My blog...

bonniethomas06

God, just googled Fiat Multipla...you are right. Yuk!

My blog...

Graye

Also, it's red, newer and cheaper. So can't be bad. Also, that shaft would probably have gone on your way home so the VW is best forgotten asap!
Growing old is much better then the alternative!

pelmetman

There's plenty of old campers out there............all capable of doing the job.......we have been back a month after spending 6 weeks away traveling down to Spain and back again :mrgreen: ..............Off again in May in our 22 year old camper :cooldude:

Although it bu**ers up our veg garden :scratch: ............So only planting stuff now that will be happy "Home alone" veg :mrgreen:

Look on Ebay or the local rag, there are plenty of old low mileage vans out there...........BUT......don't be scared of the mileage as they are built on commercial vehicle chassis...........I'd be more scared of the smell of damp :shock: ..............as in camper terms that IS expensive........ engine parts are usually cheap with older vehicles..........but try to source a vehicle that's been cherished...................campers tend to do that :iconbiggrin:

Just thought I'd add...............if you can find a Dagenham Dustbin (Ford) like ours the parts are freely available and cheap :pirate:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

oldjerry

|My X reg Merc's up for circa 2 and1/2 grand,sleeps 4 plus a littl'un good nick but uber old.Been to Italy loads of times.Diesel,5 speed,power steering,needs an mot,might do that for 50ish.She's something else,but I never like selling to people I know..