Switching to Co-op Bank, anyone else switched ?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

Switching to Co-op Bank, anyone else switched ?

I am embarking on a very scary process; changing bank accounts, switching after 25 years with Lloyds, who gave no loyalty consideration for mortgage app, and tried to rip me off with insurance, to Co-operative Bank, who are going to invest my money in ethical, ecological and fair ways, and hopefully manage the switch over painlessly too.

Anyone else switched ? how did you find their switch assist process ? they say it will only take 4 weeks, but as my money comes from various sources; salary, tax credits, child benefit and maintenance, I am nervous that something will go amiss.

Fingers crossed.
Sarah :flower:

JuzaMum
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Switching to Co-op Bank, anyone else switched ?

Hi

I switched to the Co-op a few years ago and they gave me a free case of wine for joining them :iconbiggrin:
I seem to recall promises of the swap being easy and all done for me but it wasn't that smooth. It is a bit staggered changing one thing at a time, cancelling DDs etc. I am quite happy with the Co-op (Smile online), they are now merged with Brittannia so there are more branches now.

JuzaMum
Happiness isn't having what you want but wanting what you have.

Broad Bean
Tom Good
Tom Good

I tried to some years ago but they rejected my application based on the credit check despite the fact that my credit rating was very good. I contacted them to point this out and they said it was probably administrative but wouldn't change the decision. I was quite disappointed.

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

Too bad, worth trying again ? I was suprised that they check you out first, altho it does make sense. No freebies now, hopefully good service tho, that is all I want. Altho if they offer a case of wine....
Sarah :flower:

gregorach
A selfsufficientish Regular

I did it years ago and found the whole process very smooth and straightforward.
Cheers

Dunc

Rosendula

I've moved my meagre savings to the local credit union. Ours also does a current account that has very low charges for day to day transactions, but as my 'big bank' bank doesn't charge me anything for these I've stayed put for the mo. Although I am happy to know that my money in the CU is being kept in the local community, they are not easy to deal with. They're not open weekends, have limited opening times on weekdays, and no cash machines. I can pay money IN at any Paypoint, but it goes into the basic membership account, and then I have to contact them to get them to transfer it to the savings account (all customers have to have a membership account whether they want one or not). I am considering moving my current account to Co-op. The only thing putting me off is all the mistakes our local one used to make when I did the banking there for my last job :roll: In the meantime, I'm trying to deal with cash a lot more so that the money is actually in my hands (until I pay), rather than just being a number on someone's computer.
Rosey xx

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

I tried to switch to the Co-op about 15 years ago and they were useless. Wouldn't give me a cheque guarantee card, would only give me a cashpoint card so I was stumped if I needed petrol etc, wouldn't talk to my wife even though we were joint account holders because my name was first on the form. Then they closed the local branch.

Oh yes .... they also charged me for going overdrawn even though my paycheck went in that day because.... and you'll like this.... they add up the debits before the credits so I went overdrawn for about a microsecond before they put in my wages. i.e I was overdrawn halfway through the sums and before they had completed the sums.

I hope they are better now
Malc

High in the sky, what do you see ?
Come down to Earth, a cup of tea
Flying saucer, flying teacup
From outer space, Flying Teapot

gregorach

I've been with them for at least 10 years and I've never had a problem. Sure, they don't have any branches anywhere near me, but I've never understood why people feel they need a local branch anyway.

Sure, the ISA rate is dreadful, but isn't everybody's these days?
Cheers

Dunc

tim_n
Tom Good
Tom Good

I was with Smile which was excellent on many levels. Smile is being shoehorned back into the cooperative umbrella and my experiences have not been good. It takes twice as long to do anything, when I get round to it I'll be moving off to 1st Direct I guess. Not ethical, but I get irate at being overcharged so horrendously for a 1 day mistake when transferring money about. Nothing ethical about that.
Tim_n
http://www.waark.com - allotment and green living blog

bonniethomas06

I have recently joined the coop bank - I am really impressed so far. Didn't use the switching service though.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

chicken feed
Tom Good
Tom Good

we switched to the co op last year the only dd they missed switching over was ...................... one to the co op, the whole process went very smooth and the beauty of it all is living out of town i can pay in at any post office so no need for a trip to town.

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

gregorach wrote:I've been with them for at least 10 years and I've never had a problem. Sure, they don't have any branches anywhere near me, but I've never understood why people feel they need a local branch anyway.
You don't now but 15 years ago it was necessary especially if they don't give you a cheque guarantee card so you can't actually pay for anything.
Malc

High in the sky, what do you see ?
Come down to Earth, a cup of tea
Flying saucer, flying teacup
From outer space, Flying Teapot

southeast-isher

After i went bankrupt the Co-op seemed to be the only bank that would take me... and i find them great. No problems with them.

Flo

I told all my sources of income about my new bank account when I switched to the Co-op - been there before and decided it was a case of playing safe.

The Co-op has a funny system whereby they entered every direct debit that my previous bank told them at the same time as they told the companies concerned of my change of bank. It did look odd having two lots of direct debits for each item but once payments had been taken out under the new direct debits set up by the companies themselves when informed of the switch, it was just a case of asking to have the unused ones removed which you can't do through the internet banking yourself (you have to phone the help desk) - you can only remove ones which have been used.

Of course my broadband supplier got it wrong again due to a typo and my credit card holder did nothing as they expected me to go in and change the details in their system myself.

If you go into a Britannia branch I think that they are trained to ask you if you want a Co-op credit card, Co-op insurance and so forth. But we got there.

Stonehead

Co-op wouldn't have us. Quit Abbey after one cock-up too many. Same with Nationwide. Currently with Lloyds as they're the only bank with a branch in the village.