Anti-depressants

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Pumpkin&Piglet
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 56 degrees North
longitude: 2 degrees West

Re: Anti-depressants

Thank you, it's so varied, there's often not just one simple answer!

I find it helps to remember it is a problem that can be solved - i don't actually have the worst life in the world like I think - my life actually rocks! :iconbiggrin:

boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular

Well then, during this year I have been experimenting with sorting out my dodgy guts, anyway, I think allot of my previous depression was related to food, with me the big trigger was Bread, I still have dodgy guts, so it's not all the answer but I swear that after eating my last sandwich I felt really fed up, since then, none of it.

I had NEVER even contemplated what I was eating was making me fed up, I always blamed my Mum!

I don't know your circumstances so can't offer any advice, but if you like, medication, therapy, and food in my mind are all equally important.

Anyway, hope you feel better soon, have you read The Mythology of Self Worth By Richard L Franklin, it's REBT which is a bit diferent to CBT, and less "bullshitty" in my opinion, "Score cards are for Golf, not for people" I found it helped to really challenge my own opinion of myself.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

southeast-isher

Not sure if you are that way inclined but mindfulness meditation could accompany your medication well, it's said. I hear this website is good but i haven't had a chance to listen to the audio files yet, here:

http://www.nalandascience.org/pages/r-g ... tions.html

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

It may well be the iron. I was diagnosed with stress a few years ago but an acupuncturist said that I was iron-deficient. I boosted my iron intake and it lifted my mood a lot. Now if I'm feeling low I increase my iron intake, works every time.

Bob, for me it's chocolate. I'm addicted to the stuff but too much of it leaves me feeling really low, tired and irritable.

Good luck P&P, I hope you can get the meds sorted out and enjoy your life.

Zoe

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

i cant offer any advice either, but i know what depression can do to people.

my gran has very severe depression. she spends most of her time curled up in a ball in her bed waiting to die. and the rest of the time she sits on her chair smoking herself to death. she steals my grampa's whisky and drinks in secret, she regularly over doses on medication. shes been in hospital umpteen times from it. she never leaves the house, never gets dressed, never gets washed or brushes her hair. and she doesnt eat anything. shes wasting away to nothing, shes a skeleton, she weights 6 stone. carers have to come in in the morning and evening to get her out of bed and give her her medication ( because she abuses it and it has to be hidden ) and she just goes straight back to bed when they leave. my mum and my grampa are at their wits end. its impossible to talk to her about it, she just argues with everyone and tell everyone to leave her alone and get out her house ( even to my grampa ) shes threatened to hit my mum on several occasions. my mum's a social worker and shes the one organising all her care and taking her to the doctor ect and my gran hates her for it. its very stressful for the whole family. i gave up trying to encourage her to do stuff because it just causes arguments and shes old and probably going to die soon and i dont want her to die mad at me! but she doesnt even want to see me or my kids. when we emigrated she refused to come over and see us before we left, she just couldnt be bothered she said. its horrible, shes go absolutely no interest in anything. you cant even have a conversation with her because she just sits and stares into space and doesnt listen to what your saying. they're allways changing her meds, but nothing helps.

i get depressed around food and my weight and body image, but nothing like my gran. its a horrible illness. :(
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

boboff

That is a sad thing Demi, take some solace in the fact your family is doing all they can for her.

Hope thing improve, as a wise man once said, "Love & Peace Jim"
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

it is sad. and i dont think she will ever improve. shes beeing spiraling downhill for over the last 10 years now and its well past the point of no return. she 80, shes old and she just wants to be left alone to die. iv been trying to convince my mum just to let her be as its only causeing agruments and making her more bitter, but my mum doesnt want to give up on her. i really dont think there's anything else that can be done though. shes had all the treatment there is, she doent do anything the doctor tells her, like every day have something to focus on, like having a shower and getting dressed. she just refuses to do anything. and if anyone tries to encourage her or make her do it she just shouts and screams and breaks down crying. she doesnt want to get better. my grampa was saying to me " i dont know who this woman is, but its not the woman i married" it is sad, very sad.
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

southeast-isher

I'm sorry to hear about your Gran's situation Demi. x

Paul_C
Tom Good
Tom Good

one very serious question.

is it actually depression you have?

i was diagnosed with depression years ago and the meds made me worse because i DONT have strait depression i have a "fun" combination of things like a Personality disorder (which is similar in output to depression) Depressive episodes and complex traumatic stress disorder . it was only when i litraly shouted at the NHS very loudly and very brutaly did they bother to assess me and found the other stuff turns out that some meds make them worse. which is why i dont take any at all. (craveate to this, i am fortunate i am in a stable place at the moment and my natural stubbornness means i have a tendency to fight things myself)
"depression" seems to tbe the general easy diagnosis tossed arround without any deeper attempt to ensure this is actually the case.

Pumpkin&Piglet
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 56 degrees North
longitude: 2 degrees West

I know what you mean. People hear anti-depressants and assume I get seriously depressed. It's not always the case. It's a bit complex to explain, as are most cases so I often don't bother as there is little point. As long as my GP and therapist know what's happening so they can help me I'm happy!

I have been to see my GP who is new to it but was still helpful. I've had tests to check iron levels/see if there's a thyroid problem etc and she's explained a change of medication isn't as bad as I had first thought so I'm going to wait for results, give it a month or two if needed (I'm lucky to be in a position where's it's not yet bad enough so I can do this) and then decide what to do.

For me, it's a case of picking up on signs before things get to a position where I'm desperate. I've learnt to recognise those over the years and I still don't get it right all the time - hence the thread asking for advice/opinions.

Thank you to everyone, for now, I'm still seeing how it goes!