Is giving up, giving up

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
bonniethomas06
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Is giving up, giving up

Well done AJS, I 'gave up' last year too and it is the best thing I have ever done. I had to bankrupt myself to do it mind, but now I kind of relish in the disgrace of having dropped out of a 'proper job' and in doing just what I want to do for a change. My parents are in despair and I love the look on my ex-colleagues faces when I meet them for lunch sometimes and tell them about my exploits. I can't deny it is fun being stoney broke most of the time and do occasionally have longings to have a nice holiday or nice clothes, but they are few and far between.

Worse case scenario, if you got there once, you could get back there again.

Feel the fear and do it anyway!
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Arbor
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I can sympathise with your dilemma having just made the decision to give up a full time job.

My husband had a really difficult time a few years ago with workplace bullying and was off work for over a year with depression. During that time I took promotion and the extra responsibility that it entailed because we needed the money.

Three years into the future my husband is back in full time work in a new job which he absolutely loves. So what's the problem? We are blessed to both be in full time employment. Well the issue is that we are both in our Fifties and are absolutely exhausted by the rush and pressure of managing full time jobs with home commitments and our lovely garden.

Quite frankly spending every Weekend doing housework and DIY jobs is tiring and leaves little time for ourselves. So we did our sums and with the children independent we decided that if one of us was to give up work it would make sense to be me (my job being highly pressured and less well paid). Husband is on a temporary contract but loves his job so we are taking a big risk as it is hard to get another job at his age.

The reactions of my friends and family have been on the whole one of astonishment and surprise. People just cannot understand why I have given up the status/income of my full time job. We have as other posters stated simply decided that quality of life is more important than income. Money will be tight and we will have to live on a tight budget but it is right for us. I have since managed to find a part time job, the money isn't great but I won't be spending every waking hour either at work or thinking about work.

I hope I have made the right decision, it has given me such a lot of angst. There will be plenty of people telling me 'they told me so' if it doesn't work out. I only have another eight weeks to go but the relief of knowing that I will soon be dropping out of the rat race is enormous. :brave:

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Arbour - it WILL work out if you want it to. Your friends are just jealous that you can do this. They won't be saying "I told you so" because it'll be so obvious that you're both happy and relaxed. Think positively and you can achieve this.

Zoe

alexllever
latitude: 275.8
longitude: 43.8

give up, the phrase is based on what u used to think u should accomplish first.
i mean, for instance, u need "sth." to give up. first u have sth. and then u can give it up. i think all the "sth." is what u think really necessary at your life time or at least at that time of your life. but people change, everything change, your value change as well. if the "sth." is no longer worth according to yourself, it cant make u happy anymore(the most important), it brings u nothing but depression only, i think u should let it go or we say give up.

world changes, so do we. :hugish:
baby baby, come back to me :brave: