Richard III Found!!?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Richard III Found!!?

There was a brilliant programme on last night. The Richard 111 Society raised 10k to start the dig. The cameras were there at the very start. They found he had scoliosis but not a withered arm and confirmed the identity by the accounts of his death and the marks on the skull and found a descendent they could cross match dna with. It was on channel 4 (UK) and I am guessing there will be repeats,

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

NEWSFLASH....................Richard III confirmed as winner of the 1485 'Hide and Seek' Championship..................

Mrs Moustoir
Living the good life
Living the good life

I watched and enjoyed the documentary on the dig and subsequent identification of Richard III.

Apparently, he had a very feminine build - very slender and fine boned. Of course, that reminded me of Tom Baker's legless sailor in Blackadder 2. "Arrrrrr, you have a woman's legs" etc... :oops:

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

Yes that did spring to mind. What also keeps springing to my mind is a Two Ronnies sketch done in rhyming slang where RB narrates the tale of a man who finds a small brown Richard the Third in the street. It eventually flies away.
Malc

High in the sky, what do you see ?
Come down to Earth, a cup of tea
Flying saucer, flying teacup
From outer space, Flying Teapot

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

It's good his bones have been found and reassembled. I love it when a Plantagenate comes together
Malc

High in the sky, what do you see ?
Come down to Earth, a cup of tea
Flying saucer, flying teacup
From outer space, Flying Teapot

Sally Jane
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Crickleymal wrote:It's good his bones have been found and reassembled. I love it when a Plantagenate comes together
That is sooo painful! But I really did laugh out loud, for a change..!
We all have two gifts we should try to use as much as possible - imagination and humour.
Imagination compensates us for what we are not.
A sense of humour consoles us for what we are.
And wisdom tells us not to worry about it!

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I saw both the documentaries on him. I've always been a bit of a RIII fan.

My sister used to walk across that carpark daily when she was in Uni in Leicester. She feels a bit guilty for stomping on him now :lol:

The hunchback thing does make me wonder how accurate historical reporting is. I know they say that History is written by the winners, but for years people have been sayign that RIII was a fine strapping lad with no physical problems...then we find out that he's got a hunchback and girly arms (they found less muscle markers than usually expected for a fit man on his bones, and concluded that his muscles weren't defined).