39 steps to a better SELFSUFFICIENTish life

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: 39 steps to a better SELFSUFFICIENTish life

marshlander wrote:Following on from the earlier post, what non-academic things should we teach young people?
Playing nicely*
Getting dirty**

* by themselves, with other children (same age, younger and older), with adults, with animals, plants and the environment
** playing outdoors, living outdoors, being creative

At the risk of bending the spirit of the question. There are two practical but slightly academic skills I think all children should be taught, General Knowledge and Critical Thinking. There are A-levels for both (General Studies was compulsory for me during A-Levels) but they're tragically under-offered (and the recent Critical Thinking syllabus haven't really involve being that critical or doing that much independent thinking) and to my mind they are both being offered too late (should be pre-GCSE).
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

how to grow potatoes.

It starts with potatoes, moves on to tomatoes, then strawberries...than a whole allotment!

marshlander
A selfsufficientish Regular

oldjerry wrote:........Remember What the Dormouse said.....
All I can remember is "You might as well say "I breathe when I sleep" is the same as "I sleep when I breathe."

Ok, got it, hands up anyone who remembers Woodstock! Grace Slick's White Rabbit "Remember what the Dormouse said.... Feed your head. Feed your head."
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

berry
Tom Good
Tom Good
latitude: 50.3706° N
longitude: 4.1397° W

Skippy wrote:
berry wrote:know how to repair a book
I'd make that " how to make a decent job of repairing a book"
because if there is one thing that irritates me then it's books "repaired" with ugly great strips of sellotape that eventually dries out and leaves horrible yellow patchs.

Pete
i agree sellotape is a no no! but not everyone has the kit to repair a book.

for a quick repair use acid free brown gummed tape - the stuff used for sealing the back of prints. With the boy so young ive found this a great, quick easy and cheap way to repair his books. especailly when doing a full repair is a waste of time as they will just get ruined again. In fact id say get a roll or two of this as i use it for all kinds of repairs and i used small bits to label my jams this year!

Ive also found wrapping fragile books with a simple acid free paper cover - like you get on fancy books helps protect them if your not brave enough for a proper repair :)

oldjerry

marshlander wrote:
oldjerry wrote:........Remember What the Dormouse said.....
All I can remember is "You might as well say "I breathe when I sleep" is the same as "I sleep when I breathe."

Ok, got it, hands up anyone who remembers Woodstock! Grace Slick's White Rabbit "Remember what the Dormouse said.... Feed your head. Feed your head."

There you go,if kids were taught as I suggest,you wouldn't need to ponder!!!!! QED.. (I'm going out now to buy a larger hat).

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Sounds like you know what you are doing Berry, and take the time to make a decent job. I've been clearing my parents house and if my father is looking down on me I pretty much meant him by my comment. I loved him but he didn't half manage to infuriate me with repairs made with sticky tape or nails. Originally a farmer and a bit rough and ready. A friend recently told me his father had made a new latch for the washing machine door being an engineer and I'd replied my father would have done the same except that he would probably have used a hasp and staple.
Going back to the books, did you ever make covers for your books? I can remember as a child (and teenager) making covers out of wallpaper offcuts, nothing like a novel covered in anaglipta.

Pete

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

I cannot believe how far we have got with this topic and No one has said learn to listen

That miserable old goat who.... was a mean old..... but he could .... ( grow vegetables----- understand horses---) read ad infinitum the things that we decide the worth or value of another person so quickly . I remember my value system so clearly.
When someone spoke openly about a subject and their views were totally opposed to mine and I "wrote them off" they actually turned out to be really nice people in spite of being xxx and I learned a lot from them.

e.g. Just because they shoot foxes at the hunt doesn't mean they don't know about animal behaviour . I do not think we will ever agreed about hunting but I have learned to listen and I realise can learn from a most unlikely source.

sorry a long night and I have given up trying to say what I mean in a coherent way. :dontknow:
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

berry
Tom Good
Tom Good
latitude: 50.3706° N
longitude: 4.1397° W

Skippy wrote:Sounds like you know what you are doing Berry, and take the time to make a decent job. I've been clearing my parents house and if my father is looking down on me I pretty much meant him by my comment. I loved him but he didn't half manage to infuriate me with repairs made with sticky tape or nails. Originally a farmer and a bit rough and ready. A friend recently told me his father had made a new latch for the washing machine door being an engineer and I'd replied my father would have done the same except that he would probably have used a hasp and staple.
Going back to the books, did you ever make covers for your books? I can remember as a child (and teenager) making covers out of wallpaper offcuts, nothing like a novel covered in anaglipta.

Pete
sounds just like my granddad! duct tape, silicon sealant and nails. if he cant fix it with that lot its broke! :lol:

yes i still do it now. I dont want the whole world to know what im reading... or whats on my bookcase! :oops: its a habit from school. we had to cover all our books, our exercise books and put a slip cover over some of our text books to protect them.

one thing i do love is rebinding a completely worn out book that would just end up in the bin into a new notebook. old book pages are great to sketch on :)

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

Don't forget baling twine..
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Dear Oldjerry,
"Feed your head!
Feed your head!
Feed your head!"
Glad to see someone else remembers Grace ....

Learn to think independently, everything else follows from it

Love and Peace
jim
The law will punish man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the Common
But lets that greater thief go loose
Who steals the Common from the goose.

Annemieke
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: N 51°
longitude: W 3°

Make your own stock, using bones from meat and fish you've eaten. Proper homemade stock is good for all sorts of complaints. And the lovely smell! Put in all your herbs and bits which need using up. See http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/ ... your-diet/.
Grow no evil, cook no evil, eat no evil!
And if you are interested in food and/or health, have a look at my website:
http://ThoughtforFood-aw.blogspot.com.
Love, Annemieke

sleepyowl

learning some basic home remedies
being able to massage
bake & decorate a birthday/Christmas cake
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Learn to project your voice.

This may be an odd one, but a friend commented on my ability to do this yesterday and I reflected that since learning this as a teenager (I was quite keen on acting at the time), it's come in handy on quite a lot of occasions over the years. Compared with the alternative of using a microphone, it is pretty self sufficient to use one's own body as an amplifier.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

big brew ejit
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Be able to read both road and topographic maps as well as being able to use a compass competently.