Moving

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
spider8
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Moving

I hope things are going well for you and your move. A new start and a way of using the knowledge gained from the old place to not make mistakes in the new! Hope you can find peace and good neighbours - worth their weight in gold - and life is sweet. Keep us all posted, good luck :cheers:
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

Just an update. We have an offer on our house here, and have a conditional offer on a place in Nova Scotia. Things are far enough along that it looks like both deals should complete without major hassles.

Our new place will be 11 acres on St Mary's Bay on the Bay of Fundy side of the province. It includes a 60-foot-wide corridor down to the beach. The house and garden are gorgeous, and there is a large hay field. We plan to put a bit of "ish" into the house in the form of solar hot water and a heat pump to supplement the wood heat and avoid the need to use electric heat.

If you want piccies, here is the real estate listing. http://www.261riverside.com/ We are actually buying the neighbouring field as well as the listed property, which is why the acreage doesn't match what we are getting.

The house is four kilometres from the nearest town, a walkable distance, and easily bikeable. The neighbourhood road is low-traffic and likely to remain so, since it doesn't go anywhere, ideal for exercise walking or dog-walking. There is also an abandoned railway line trail nearby for more long-distance walks or bike rides. A larger town with big-box stores is a half-hour drive away.

It is on the edge of the francophone part of Nova Scotia, so there are lots of opportunities to broaden our cultural horizons. We will likely sign up for French immersion courses at the francophone university that is ten minutes down the road.

It is going to be an adventure! Now the insanity (packing) begins.

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

looks absolutely fab!!!. hope it all goes through ok,
dont envy the packing.........but do the house!!!

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

It looks really fabulous, and the gardens are wonderful, all the hard work has been done, you will be very happy there good luck

boboff

Wow that is lovely.

Nice house for a Hippy!!!

I hope you have many happy years there.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Wow - you must be minted (or at least you'd have to be around here to afford a house like that!) It looks lovely and sounds perfect. Do enjoy it. I do hope everything goes through smoothly and that you're happy in your new environment. With a house like that, how could you not be? Good luck for the move.

Zoe

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Good Luck xxx

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life

Whew! Finally, a done deal!

It was a bit of a nail-biter for a while. Our buyer tried to nickle-and-dime* us over repair costs. They thought we should lower our price to cover the repairs. We knew that they were getting a heck of a deal on the price already, so we decided to call their bluff and stay firm on the price. We made them sweat for a couple of days before responding, too. They caved, and we now have a completed sale. :cheers: So now we have finalized out purchase on the east coast.

Now the hard work begins: packing! And you don't want to know what the move is going to cost! :shock:

Only have to hang on for a couple more months...

*Translations for Brits:
nickle: a 5-cent coin
dime: a 10-cent coin
to nickle-and-dime someone: To haggle over insignificant amounts of money, especially to try to beat down a seller's price just for the sake of beating the price down.

boboff

We have the Disney channel so know what Nickle and diming is.

I think in the UK we call it Gazundering.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Moving (update)

The packing got finished on time, and we have moved. We are temporarily in a guest cottage near our new home while we wait for our furniture to make the 2-week journey across the country. The cat and dog both made the airline trip unscathed, with the aid of some good drugs.

The area is really nice, and my wife likes the house (whew!). She had onlly seen photos before yesterday.

Flo

That's a brave man who shows his wife the pictures of a house and says we've bought it and will be moving there now. :mrgreen: