F-f-f-facebook

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: F-f-f-facebook

ahhh, this is nice.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

marshlander

Ok Jon, what's the story behind the cover picture on your facebook page? Do tell!
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

oldjerry

Could I open this up a bit? genuine question.
Although Mrs OJ seems to be on it most days,I dont fully understand this FB thing.Does it mean that everyone of those loonies you ever met can get in touch with you/know where you live/know what that lithe hunk of 40 years ago degenerated into ? etc. etc. You see all the members of my family under 45 seem to communicate using this system,and I don't get to speak to them much as it's seemed to replace the phone and even e mail.(perhaps that''s why they like it!).

I know there are ways of finding where people live etc,and anonimity is virtually impossible today,but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with everyone knowing what I'm doing all the time,and (something you'll find probably beyond belief)not sure that I'm that egotistic enough to think people are that interested anyhow.

I tried to start a thread a bit back on how technological advance was alienating for people over a certain age,and for me,this is it in a nutshell.I'm probably missing out,but my instincts say leave it . Sorry to be a bit tedious 'young 'uns but please advise......

boboff

No Jerry you don't put your addess on there.

You can choose to share information only with people you yourself accept as a friend, even if they ask you, you have to actually accept them, for them to be able to see anyting.

I think if you are worried about posting pictures for family ( something we use it for allot) then set up two accounts, one for familiy with pics, and one for "friends and sPud bashers on here"

With facebook messanger on Andriod and iPhones, it will in time with better 3g coverage and Wifi replace "texting" too.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Little story about two friends.
One is similiar to me in that he has a facebook account "because it seems everyone else has one and it's what you should do :scratch: "
My other friend is a little more technically savvy and sent my first friend a "friend request " via the facebook to which he got no reply. When they meet face to face he asked why the request hadn't been confirmed to be given the answer "why , you could always just pop round for a cup of tea and a chat anytime anyway"

Pete

marshlander

I find facebook very useful. I like to keep in touch with distant family and get to see their photos. Also my old dad is deaf now but we can 'chat' on fb about all kinds of things. I like to share photos, posts from other friends, read funny things that have happened in the day, share recipes, ask advice.
You don't need two accounts, just set your page as to who can see your posts - or even set each individual post.It's at the bottom of the box in which you write the message, you click on the word 'public' and a menu drops down. You can select friends only, family, or even the individual people who can see a post. You don't have to worry about strangers seeing your posts unless you don't mind them.
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

Millymollymandy

Consider yourself poked, Mike. :iconbiggrin:

The friend I have suggested to you is Rosendula, goodness I almost forgot what her name was on here!!! Just so you know, but you've probably already had lots of friend suggestions sent to you from other people. I know that she really wanted you on facebook.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Marc
Living the good life
Living the good life

I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to go anywhere near farcebook. In my opinion it's one of the worst facets of the internet.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Flo

It's very handy for information on how the buses locally are running. I signed out twice but decided that I would have one more go for the bus information which is great in bad weather and traffic problems (their customer services dedicate a person on weekdays to keep us up to date and long may it continue). I've also got local coast guard and lifeboat information. People? None from the local town which was where things were going badly. And none from the endless lists of do I know.

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Hi Mike, I just sent you a friend request on facebook.

I'm a big fan of facebook (and find it irritating when those who refuse to venture anywhere near it - people like my dad - nonetheless have strong opinions about its value). I find it the easiest way of keeping in touch with friends and I love the picture sharing. I also like the chat function because if I can see that a friend is using facebook that means they're almost certainly free to chat and I don't have to worry that I'm interrupting their dinner by phoning them up.

They do encourage 'friend' connections which is why, until you've got the hang of it, you can find yourself friends with all sorts of people you've never heard of. It does take a bit of effort to figure out, but once you have done, it's quite controllable. You can 'unfriend' people you didn't mean to make friends with in the first place, and you can choose who sees what you post there. Sometimes I post information about local events that I want publicized as widely as possible, so I set those posts to 'public'. Most of the time I set posts to be visible to 'friends' only, and sometimes I use the 'custom' setting to share a photo with just one person. It's also possible to group friends into 'close friends' and 'acquaintances' so that some posts can go to people you know well and others to people you know less well as well, but I haven't bothered with that, myself.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

I just added you too! Please accept my friend request or the feeling of rejection will be too much for me :lol:

I added you too Maggie, and Amanda :iconbiggrin:

Terri what's your full name, can i add you too?
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well done for tracking me down Mike :salute:
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

You were one of the easy ones, Jed - your signature on here is a little bit of a clue :iconbiggrin:

I'm getting there, although I haven't really looked at it for the past few days. SLOWLY, I'm finding my way around. The big problem at the moment is that although I know I have all my photos somewhere on my machine, I can't find the buggers (I recently changed my Ubuntu front-end, which is a painful process, and it's hiding them deliberately).

Now I'm getting more used to Facebook, though, it does appear a bit more immediate than a forum, and it's certainly quicker than email. Who knows? I may get to like it. It's certainly full of nutters - just my kind of place :lol: .

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Rosendula

Millymollymandy wrote:Consider yourself poked, Mike. :iconbiggrin:

The friend I have suggested to you is Rosendula, goodness I almost forgot what her name was on here!!! Just so you know, but you've probably already had lots of friend suggestions sent to you from other people. I know that she really wanted you on facebook.
Ah, thanks MMM. I wondered how he found me :wink:
Rosey xx

Millymollymandy

I've no idea how he found me though, Rosie! :lol:

I guess I'm one of those nutters...... :king: :tongue: :pirate: :iconbiggrin: :flower:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/