The Elephant in the Room..........

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Maykal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 44.44361
longitude: 26.14056

Re: The Elephant in the Room..........

okra wrote:Have the supermarkets followed this change or led it?
I'd say they have probably 'encouraged' it. Ready/frozen meals have a longer shelf life than fresh ingredients and therefore it's in the supermarket's interest to encourage us to choose more of these types of products. So while they'll happily cater for both those who wish to do no more than sling something in the microwave and those who wish to prepare their own food, it seems reasonably obvious that they would wish to push the products and the associated lifestyle that generates the greater profits for them. They're a business after all and they'll use all their marketing strategies to sell us the products that make them more successful as a business.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

http://themakingprogressblues.wordpress ... our-fault/

While I don't agree with all of it, it seems to sum up many of my thoughts on the subject.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

Well, yes,but speaking as one who once farmed,it's a bit of a whitewash.........it basically accuses joe public of doing what farmers have been doing themselves since time was,i.e. cutting costs .
Also, only a farmer would suggest that non-supermarket stuff is affordable to practically everyone,maybe he should ask himself how many people his farm supported even 20 years ago
The small abbattoirs that were the mainstay of 'local meat ' in my experience got sod all support from large scale meat producers who would deal with large retailers directly,and their livestock would be carried long distances to large establishments.
The big clue is the link to the CA....those well known supporters of the rural population.........

okra
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 35.0
longitude: 33.4

I was surprised that cheap burgers contained proper meat and thought it was mechanically recovered stuff. Just a thought would you rather eat horsemeat or mechanically recovered and chemically treated meat. Perhaps supermarkets, if it is cheaper. start a line in horse burgers.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

okra wrote:I was surprised that cheap burgers contained proper meat and thought it was mechanically recovered stuff. Just a thought would you rather eat horsemeat or mechanically recovered and chemically treated meat. Perhaps supermarkets, if it is cheaper. start a line in horse burgers.
This has been implicated in the problem. The EU banned desinewed meat (DSM) from cattle, sheep and goats. When produced from poultry and pigs it's classified as mechanically recovered meat (MRM) and can't count as "meat" whan calculating the percentages.

Once you take out a staple of the super-cheap economy processed food ingredient list, it's going to have to be replaced with something else. Fillet steak was never an option.

Then you get Eastern Europe deciding it wants to join the Western industrialised lifestyle and starting to push horse-drawn traffic off the road in favour of the internal combustion age.

The West needs another source of cheap meat from whole cuts that it can legally call meat on the ingredients, and the East has a large amount of surplus horseflesh.

Some shady guys in the middle start to make a lot of money tippexing out "Dobbin" and "Shergar" on the paperwork and writing "Daisy", "Cloverleaf" and "Ermintrude" in their place. Noone complains, and possibly doesn't look to closely - because the alternative is that the economy burgers will have to go from £1 to £2 per pack overnight, unless there's a cheap source of meat to keep the costs down.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

oldjerry

Green Aura wrote:I like this one even better
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... rty-crisis
Me too.

okra
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 35.0
longitude: 33.4