Damn those pesky rodents

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Damn those pesky rodents

Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:27 pm

Been out the tunnel this morning and found that all my sugar Ann snap peas have been dug up and the pea bit eaten and the green shoot discarded on the ground, sigh, I had chitted them and planted them out to save me a bit of time with pots and stuff, but I will have to go back to sowing and then planting out. We have had so much trouble with mice this year, we have a mouse in our house that seems to know what a trip trap mouse trap is for (I take them with me when I go down the village and let them go in the forestry ..... I know I know), it is evading capture and has now drilled a hole into my larder from under the stairs da littel fecker :angryfire: I spend my life trying to outwit the local wildlife

123sologne
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Damn those pesky rodents

Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:01 pm

I had mice and rats attaching my potatoes, carrots, beetroots and turnips crops a couple of month ago, so I know what you are going through. I ended up putting everything in the loft and then found out that the beetroot were molding there!... :shock:
You just need to keep on with the battle. :icon_smile:

doofaloofa
A selfsufficientish Regular

Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:14 pm

ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:21 pm

oh and I also have a mouse living in my car, my bloody car !!!!!! left a bag of rolled barley in there overnight and the little fecker has bitten a hole in it :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

doofaloofa

Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:07 pm

better mice than rats

we have an infestation of otters!
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

The Riff-Raff Element

Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:00 am

We had a concerted campaign against mice & rats early in winter and seem have persuaded that that this is not a healthy environment in which to party. For the time being, at least.

As an aside, I've been seeing an extraordinary number of owls of various species (but more barn owls than others) around this winter, so they've clearly got plenty to eat. It's not really been that cold here - we've had perhaps a dozen hard frosts, no more - and it looks like a lot more has survived the winter than is usual. Bees are busy and the number of small birds in the garden is definitely higher than usual.

This also means that the hoards of starlings that ate all the cherries last year and laughed openly at my deterrents have also, presumably, survived. I shall have to redouble my efforts on that front!

123sologne
Living the good life
Living the good life

Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:46 pm

Maybe you should get a cat for the mice if you don't have one yet. Ours tackled one this morning and dispatched the little thing in no time... The problem is I think no matter how many mice the cat can eat (and she is always catching some), there are always new ones about... We do have some barn owls in the area too and they seam to be very happy, so plenty of food for everybody, I suspect. :roll: