Where do all the alternative people hang out?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
happyhippy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Where do all the alternative people hang out?

I'm looking for like minded people.Everytime we go to a festival or whatever,we see heaps of alternative people.But where do they all go when the festival ends? :dontknow: Yes I know about Glastonbury (The town not the festie)been there loads of times,but apart from that where is everyone?Would love some alternative people to be friends with,nice on this forum,but better in real life.People you can go out with,have dinner with,play music with,talk about stuff mainstream people are'nt interested in!lol So.......where is everyone?We're in Wiltshire!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Where do all the alternative people hang out?

There used to be a load of Ishers who met up somewhere round your area but I couldn't tell you if they still do, I'm afraid. Which, of course, is not much help.

My suggestion would be to do a google search for individual interests such as "vegan Devizes" or " folk music wiltshire (I'm not suggesting you'd necessarily be interested in either of those :lol: ) or whatever and see what groups come up.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

happyhippy

Thanks GA.just don't see that many real alternative people around?Do they live in towns?Communities?On the road?hahaha :dontknow: I will try and google but thought I'd start here first.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Now I may be wrong here, but apart from yer crusties that hop from place to place, a lot of people I know that go to festivals etc, then go back to their well paid jobs and lives. Nowadays, those events are well out of my pocket. When I lived in Berkshire, we had a great place called RISC and they had a shop and cafe, we had wonderful evenings where all sorts of things went on, people came from other countries to discuss what the issues were there and we often had a feast of food from that country. You got to meet up with lots of like minded people. You could even start something, maybe an organic gardening group, that usually gets some like minded folk, couple that with a buying group for organic foods and products, we had one of those too, the True Food Coop, I used to supply veg to them, is that the kind of alternative you mean?

ina

happyhippy wrote:People you can go out with,have dinner with,play music with,talk about stuff mainstream people are'nt interested in!
I may be as alternative as they come, but I don't have money to do any of these things. Well, apart from the talking... That still doesn't cost anything! :mrgreen: Couldn't afford to go to festivals, either. Let's face it, only people with "good" jobs, in other words, that are somehow part of the establishments, can afford to do these things. The few times I meet friends for a coffee, they pay for me... Well, they tend to get a bag of kale or so from the garden in exchange.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

A lot of alternative people don't hang out *as* alternative people. When they're not doing something "alternative" like going to a festival, they are at home or at work, just looking quite ordinary. They may drive a hybrid car or eat vegan, but unless you were paying attention to such things, you might not notice at all.

happyhippy

Digger:Yes thats exactly the sort of thing I mean,by that club in Berkshire?Meeting up with like minded people,who talk about the universe,spirituality,music,gardening,music and so on.
So it seems most of the alternative people at festivals are actually leading double lives?lol We're only working class people,and we're not pretending to be anything else!Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

They're here. The Welsh hills are full of hippies. Sorry, that's not very helpful for you in Wiltshire.

I'd second Green Aura's suggestion about folk music and/or folk dancing (I just googled this: http://www.wiltshirefolkarts.org.uk/ and now I'm very jealous!). It might also be worth looking for craft clubs and associated shops, or homebrew shops. Maybe a seed swap (another google: http://www.wiltshirewildlife.org/green- ... Seed+Swaps).

Once you find one like-minded person, they'll either be able to introduce you to others, or they'll be so glad you found them that you'll be best friends for life! Good luck :flower:
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

20 odd years ago, a load of New Age Travellers descended to the hills here. Some of them left, but many stayed and are now in their late 40's and early 50's, in fact you would be hard pressed to find and English 'Normie' here at all. This place is rammed with musicians, artists, organic gardeners, smallholders etc. We all dress in scruffy new age clothes and it is normal here, going into the supermarket in wellies, camouflage trousers and coat, woolly chullo hat is a normal thing for me and it is such a small place, we all know each other so there is always someone to chat to, in fact some days so many people drop by you can't get a single thing done

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

There is quite a lot of alternative stuff going on in Wiltshire these days. Here are a few examples.
The Lamb in Devizes hosts both a Folk Club and Amnesty International meetings. It also has live music Friday nights. So does the Bear Hotel.
Sustainable Devizes is trying to re boot itself, possibly as Transition Devizes. Meeting on Monday 1st December at The Southgate pub to discuss this. You are more than welcome to attend.
The Wiltshire Green Party is also active and gearing up to next year's election. See website for details.
Friends of the Earth meet in Calne once a month and Marlborough is a Transition Town which has quite a bit going on.
Trowbridge also has a folk club, I believe. There are probably more but these are the ones I know about. Get in touch if you want more info.
Cheers.
Has anyone seen the plot, I seem to have lost mine?

ojay54
Site Admin
Site Admin

Most of the'alternative' people I knew,these days,like me,mostly hang out over the tops of their trousers.

Flo

There's only a couple of obvious ones locally - one volunteers in the Oxfam bookshop and the other is an usher at the events in the local arts centre. I suppose they must know where the rest of the clan hang out. Or maybe the hippies no longer look like hippies used to do but are alternative in disguise.

ina

ojay54 wrote:Most of the'alternative' people I knew,these days,like me,mostly hang out over the tops of their trousers.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

Most of the long haired hippies I used to know are now bald as coots, myself included
Has anyone seen the plot, I seem to have lost mine?

happyhippy

Thanks to all who replied.Yes digger,thats the sort of thing I'd like,people just dropping in for a cuppa (or something stronger lol)even if it meant not getting anything done lol Baldybloke,I know all those pubs and have enjoyed watching some bands upstairs at the Lamb! Havent been to the folk club as yet but will drop by one night.Thanks for the other suggestions,which I'll also look into! I guess I feel alittle isolated,and although I have what I call my "normal"mates (lol)I'd also like some that have the same interests as me.Thanks all.xxx