What I'm up to

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

What I'm up to

I'm as guilty as the next person of falling into lurking mode when forum participation falls below a critical mass. Rather than post on an existing thread, I thought I'd start a new one, 'cause it makes the forum look busier. ;)

My wife and I moved a month and a half ago. We had been in an "interesting" community, but one that was closed to outsiders. The people were pleasant and friendly enough to outsiders - it's not like they were rude or hostile - but it was clear that we would always be outsiders. That, the utter lack of intellectual or artistic stimulation, and the lack of services made it clear that it was not the place for us.

Where we are now is a rural property just outside a small fishing village. It is only a 15 minute drive to some large towns with shops, services, and a university :cheers: ! We can actually go to several restaurants and find somethig on the menu besides french fries (chips) that vegans can eat! The people in the local village are much more accepting of outsiders, and there are several other retirees who have moved here from away.

The move itself was exhausting. We've been unpacking since forever. We had to downsize to fit into the new house, so finding a place for everything is an issue. We've been pacing ourselves by taking breaks to enjoy the proximity of civilization, which is good for the mental health, but at the same time the delay in getting set up is bad for the mental health.

The flower garden is mostly perennials, so it is taking care of itself. The veggie garden is in need of an overhaul, but we aren't going to get much done in it this year. We need to get some compost going, and might have to harvest some seaweed from the beach to perk up the rhubarb and asparagus.

The house has oil-fired in-floor heat, which is very comfortable, but expensive. We'd prefer to heat with wood, for both economic and environmental reasons. It has a fireplace insert for burning wood which is situated well for heating the entire house. There is a bit of wood in the woodshed, and some more that needs splitting stacked nearby, that will get us started for this winter. But we want to get ahead of the wood supply so that we have a two-year supply on hand. That way, we will know that the wood we burn is well-dried, and we will have a reserve on hand if we get another long, cold winter. We had a truckload delivered a couple of days ago that I have almost finished stacking, and we expect another truckload this week.

My main renovation project this summer was supposed to be getting my astronomy observatory installed. I had the building trucked here from the old place, but all the excavation contractors here are booked up for the summer, so I haven't got the electrical trench or the foundation prepared yet. I sure hope I can get it installed before the winter.

In the meantime, I've been doing minor renos, like replacing lights and gutters and fencing a "pee pen" for the hound.

We had a boundary dispute with the sellers that required bushwhacking through the woods to mark property lines, plotting GPS coordinates, talking to lawyers, etc. We got it sorted to everyone's satisfaction; just waiting for the paperwork to clear now.

I want to get the house wired for generator power before winter. We have had a couple of bad winters, and they may be representative of the "new normal". And we get hurricanes here, which can be good for knocking out the power. Having generator power means that water is available, fans can circulate the heat, etc., without which a multi-day blackout can be very uncomfortable.

It's been a stressful spring and summer, but we are in a much better spot. That is a good thing, because we both agree that the next move will be when they carry us out feet-first!

littlemissrose
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: What I'm up to

:flower: Wow you certainly have been busy. But I'm glad to hear you feel much more at home in your comunity. Good luck with all your plans for your new home :cheers: :flower: :grouphug:
My blog: https://thelifeofalittlerose.wordpress.com
My dutch blog: https://hetlevenvaneenroosje.wordpress.com has the same content bu is updated sooner.

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

You know I've moved so often over a life time that so long as I can find the bed, some clothes, the shower, a comfy chair and lay hands on a tin of baked beans and some bread for toast nothing worries me.

But you Keith are obviously wanting to get a lot more organised. You want to erect an astronomy observatory before you've got the wood stores full? Probably a good thing that you couldn't get the builders in to do the ground works!! You might get round to getting the house organised first! Me I would have been down the veg garden digging like heck and saying well I can sort out inside when the weather turns bad!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

Yes, it's all about priorities. :mrgreen: :occasion5:

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I don't envy you living in a hurricane belt (or whatever they call it). This winter we had 100+mph winds and were without power for most of the day for about 5 days. My new heroes are the people who were out in it fixing cables! Having never experienced it before we were woefully ill prepared. Well we had candles and a butane stove but heating was an issue - we could have the boiler lit but had to keep it totally damped because the pump wasn't working.

So a generator is on the agenda here too. I'm sure you're much better prepared though, Keith, or at least your neighbours will be. Despite ours telling us about the high winds, every few years, they didn't seem to be much better prepared than we were.

And enjoy your new home - the area looks lovely.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin