A bit of excitement...

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Stonehead
A selfsufficientish Regular

A bit of excitement...

...last night as we had a couple of toerags try to steal the Defender.

The OH and the boys are away visiting her parents, and I was reading about 11.10pm when I heard noises, including a clunk like the Land Rover door.

I was getting up when I saw a red light reflected through the glass door into the sun porch, so rocketed through to the back door (where I could see the security lights at the side had come on), got my boots on and my pig stick, and then shot out the door and around the house.

As I got to the drive, N from across the road came running over as well and we could see the Landie's side lights were on and the driver's door was ajar. We could also hear people running down the road towards Insch. N had seen the lights too and as he came out, he heard someone shout "Run Paul, run!".

We had a quick look around before I called the police while he kept an eye on the car. To our amazement, we had the police here (two car's worth) in 10-15 minutes - usually it's the next day!!

They even got the dog squad out from Aberdeen but as they got here an hour later there wasn't much for them to do and they weren't helped by the rain or the diesel and oil on the road from all the tractors.

We think the would-be thieves had a car parked in one of the field gateways further down the road - neither the police nor N and I could see a couple of thieves walking all the way out from Insch in wet weather!

We're already fairly careful as the bungalow behind G's place (our farmer neighbour over the other road) was burgled two years back and we've disturbed dodgy people a few times, but I think we're going to have to start parking the cars inside the steading and padlocking the six-foot gates at night.

At least they didn't get the Defender as we rely on it very heavily.

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

At least you stopped it happening then mate.

I have been burgled before and it does make you highly security consicous. I have thought about moving to somewhere a bit more remote like you have just so I don't have to double check that I have locked everything, just goes to show that it happens everywhere. It's a shame.

Strange how the police work it is a job to get through to them down here, I have been left ringing and ringing for 15 mins before the trouble had all but gone by the time I got through.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Shirley

What is the world coming to.

Thank goodness you are ok and that they didn't get the defender. Do you lock it at night?? Many people around here don't bother.

Did the police get any fingerprints - let's hope the catch the (insert expletive of your choice here)
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Stonehead

Shirlz2005 wrote:Did the police get any fingerprints - let's hope the catch the (insert expletive of your choice here)
I mis-read this at first glance - I thought you said "insert explosive of your choice"! :bom: :mrgreen:

Not a bad idea, though!

And yes, the Defender was locked. I had bags of Postcrete in it plus tools, so made sure it was locked when I came back from town around 7pm. I always double-check it's locked when I leave stuff in it.

Mind you, the door locks on the Defender are rubbish and I may as well leave it unlocked. When I've locked the keys in it - or can't be bothered going into the house to get the keys - I can open the doors in about 2 seconds. All you need is a long shim or a hooked piece of fencing wire.

Shirley

LOL @ the explosive :bom:
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

albert onglebod
Living the good life
Living the good life

LOL ! When you said you shot out of the door,I thought ,flip he keeps a gun!
We've had things stolen before.It makes you look out of the window at every noise , not nice.
Have you got the windows etched,they'd have to replace all the glass then if they were after it to sell?

shiney

Oh my goodness Stoney, you were lucky to have scuppered them.

Were they caught or did you get a chance to see what kind of car they had?

I am pleased you foiled them. Well done.
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

Stonehead

shiney wrote:Oh my goodness Stoney, you were lucky to have scuppered them.

Were they caught or did you get a chance to see what kind of car they had?

I am pleased you foiled them. Well done.
The police didn't catch them. Not surprising as the thieves had at least 10 minutes to run back to their car and then drive off. It's only five minutes into Insch so they had plenty of time to disappear.

As one of the officers said, older Landies are a favourite with some thieves as they're worth more for their engine and parts than they are intact - especially when they have a lot of new parts like ours does. They're also very easy to break into and very easy to dismantle.

It's now parked up in the middle of the steading, with security lights all around and certain parts removed to render it immobile. It takes me an extra five minutes to get it going, but it's worth it if it stops the thieves from taking it.

Boots

I haven't heard the term tow rag in years!

So glad all is well. Maybe think about a club lock, Stoney. I think they're great. If you are running in and out of places you can just bung it on the steering wheel and leave your windows down etc.

I used to leave my car windows down all the time in the city and the street prowlers would spot the clubbie and keep on going! Left it off once and had to go pick the car up after a night of cruising and hoonin, mind you. Buggers left it with all 4 doors open in the middle of a bloody dark intersection when it ran out of fuel. Very glad to get it back.

Also means you have a handy (and legal) weapon beside you in the car if you happen to encounter some souped up road rager or loopy hitchhiker!

multiveg
Living the good life
Living the good life

Glad you were able to scupper them.
When I lived in Bristol, I remember seeing the house next door being raided by the police - lots of items were being taken out. Someone said that we had Bristol's most wanted criminal, a burglar, living next door to mo.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well done Stoney!

I used to drive a Suzuki 4x4 when I was a young lad and got into the habit of parking it in neutral on the transfer case. It saved it from being stolen once because the guy who bought it off me used to do the same thing. It is worth a go anyway!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/