My New Patch

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
bonniethomas06
A selfsufficientish Regular

My New Patch

Finally we are in! Whooooee!

And here is my new patch. It has a 'garden' bit, a little stream (dry at the moment) with a bridge to the 'agricultural' bit, where all the magic is going to happen. It actually has agricultural land ties, so whatever we do will have to be er...agricultural. Although the neighbours have hedged theirs off and built a pizza oven/decking on theirs without any strife so far - so we shall see.

Annoyingly all remaining available budget (ha!) is going on fencing the front off from the back, as the little dog is determined to get run over on the lane outside. But after that - POLYTUNNEL!!! or greenhouse? Decisions!
Attachments
From the upstairs window
From the upstairs window
IMG_6719.JPG (3.04 MiB) Viewed 5552 times
The main 'agricultural' bit
The main 'agricultural' bit
IMG_6714.JPG (2.55 MiB) Viewed 5552 times
The 'Garden' bit
The 'Garden' bit
IMG_6713.JPG (3.45 MiB) Viewed 5552 times
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

bonniethomas06

Re: My New Patch

Sorry, captions are all over the place, but I am sure it is obvious which is which!
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow, very nice, congratulations. :cheers:

One piece of advice, don't try to do too much in one go. Get yourself a big mower to keep the grass under control and then do bits and pieces as and when you have the time and enthusiasm.

Regarding polytunnel or greenhouse, I wrote a piece back in 2010 on just that subject http://selfsufficientish.com/forum/view ... 12&t=19354 and although I've changed my mind slightly on my views then, I still think the best way to choose which (if you can only have one) is that a tunnel is a protected area to grow normal vegetables out of harms way, like wind, excess rain and a degree or two of frost, where a greenhouse (bigger is most definitely better) is ideal for growing more tropical plants like tomatoes, cucumbers, aubergines, etc.

But having said that, if you can only have one, get as big a polytunnel as you afford.

One thing's for sure, you've got a busy few years coming up. :iconbiggrin:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

bonniethomas06

Thanks Tony, and thanks for the link - I will take a look now. I have seen some bench kits that turn one end of a tunnel into a greenhouse area, which seemed to be a good idea, as the main objective is to have somewhere to raise seedlings and sit with the paper in the rain!

My blog...

bonniethomas06

Just read your post Tony - very useful. Whichever poly we go for will definitely make sure the ventilation is up to scratch. And that settles it...we shall just have to have both!

My blog...

Cassiepod
Living the good life
Living the good life

That looks fabulous! you're going to have a lot of fun getting it into shape!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Looks fab, Bonnie. My advice is live with it for at least 12 months before making any major decisions - other than keeping the dog safe, of course.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

bonniethomas06

Green Aura wrote:Looks fab, Bonnie. My advice is live with it for at least 12 months before making any major decisions - other than keeping the dog safe, of course.
That sounds as sensible as it is impossible for someone as impatient and rash as I am! I fear that it will be 12 months until there is budget for most of it, so we will be forced to wait.

Other than the chooks - I have just ordered the henhouse :lol:

My blog...

Flo

Probably a good thing that you are spent up as you will be a whole year wiser when you get round to doing anything outside. But it's so frustrating when you just want to get on with growing something isn't it?

Cassiepod
Living the good life
Living the good life

I've twigged that if I keep the hens cooped up they will scratch and clear the ground where I want the veg beds to go... so waiting a year and clearing the ground organically sounds like a good plan too!

becks77

Looks fab Bonnie, a new start for the veggies and chuckies
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"