Hooray, hooray...

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hooray, hooray...

I've got another job! :iconbiggrin:

Well, back in the lab where I worked before - but, as it is in these times, various short term contracts and nothing else... So now I have a contract until Christmas, which will at least keep me going for a little while!

I'm so fed up with having no "proper" job... I also still have a Saturday job in a local shop, which has been getting more and more stressful, due to the boss - I will now give up this job altogether, and sod him. :mrgreen:

Anyway - nothing to do with being -ish, but I just had to tell somebody! :lol:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hooray, hooray...

Well done Ina, that should make life a bit more settled for you.

I have to say that these new fangled short contracts and especially the zero hours contracts all seem a bit weird to me.
Back in the days when I worked for money, you had a job .. full stop, and the only way you lost it was if you were crap at it and got sacked or you got fed up and handed in your notice.
But this new way must be better, the government says so. :lol:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Cassiepod
Living the good life
Living the good life

Good news indeed. I hope it becomes something more steady and permanent.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Great news ina. Hopefully soon these short-term or worse zero hours contracts will be a thing of the past. Some are catching on quicker than others.

http://www.thenational.scot/business/li ... ners.21725
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

ina

Odsox wrote: But this new way must be better, the government says so. :lol:
Aye right... :roll:

There are absolutely no permanent contracts any more at that institute where I've been working - on and off - since 2002. The best you can get is 3 years - and that's usually some kind of management job with a weird title that nobody understands... And it will get worse once the Brexit effect sets in properly, since so much funding is from Europe. The latest job that's advertised says under "type of contract", where it used to be permanent or it gave the number of months/years, "agency". So far nobody has been able to tell me what that means - but it can't be good. How on earth are you supposed to do meaningful research?
Ina

Flo

Ina any job that pays even if only for a few months is good and to be celebrated. Congratulations that girl. Is the pay worth having?

At any rate it will be better than a Saturday job won't it????????????????????????????

ina

Flo wrote:Ina any job that pays even if only for a few months is good and to be celebrated. Congratulations that girl. Is the pay worth having?
Well - they used to only pay minimum wages for these casual contracts; now it is the so-called living wage (£8.25), which is an improvement... Mind you, I still have questions about how they arrived at the total pay for my last little stint of work. My calculations of number of weeks x number of hours per week x £8.25 did not come to the same as their calculation! But of course, the person at HR who should be able to tell me about this is on holiday...

Yes, it's definitely better than a Saturday job - especially the one I've been doing for a while. That's not only about the money, it's about self worth and being accepted as somebody who is able to do certain things, can take responsibility etc...
Ina

becks77

Good news well done xx
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"