Seasons on your patch?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Seasons on your patch?

I thought I spotted an Angus.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Weedo
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Sorry Bonnie, I didn't answer your other query - 75 litres per head per day is the minimum we allow for in pipeline flow and reserve (we hold about 4 days reserve in case of pump breakdown) 75 litres is about the average daily consumption per head in summer - naturally a 1500kg bull needs more than a 250kg weaner. This is not really a lot when you consider the amount we Western people are supposed to need. There are a lot of different formulas but one (Mayo) puts the daily figure at 2.5 litres for a 75Kg male - this extrapolates to 250 litres for a 750Kg cow! Also we, and cows, get a lot of our water from food - green spring pasture is about 80 - 90% water so they actually drink little then; at the moment their diet is 100% dry summer feed, only 10% water, and the temps are daily + 30 C so they take more water at this time.

Cattle are really very good at managing their metabolism; they really don't sweat except from a very few places, stay inactive and in the shade to stay cool and group together to reduce the total body area exposed.
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Green Aura - the only pure angus we have are the bulls, for production about half our breeding herd are Shorthorn X Angus F1, Because Angus are black (at least the black ones are) and red is dominant in Shorthorns F1 and F2 offspring are almost always black, black with some white and the occasional blue. Pure Shorthorns can be anything in between solid red to solid white
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

bonniethomas06

I suppose when you put it like that it isn't that much per head. Interesting stuff.

If I am ever in a pub quiz and the question comes up as to whether cows sweat, I will think of you!
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com