Windy Christmas?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy Christmas?

It's beginning to look a lot like ... stormy Christmas weather for folks in Scotland.
I hope it's not going to be as bad as some forecasters are saying, but batten down the hatches and stay safe.

They are not forecasting too much wind down here at the moment, but I've got the generator prepared just in case.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Windy Christmas?

It is absolutely peeing down here in North West Ireland, the sort of rain that won't stop, this happened last December and just kept raining for weeks

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

It looks as if us just over the border in Northumberland are going to share the weather with Scotland. The offending source of the wind is a depression that has been named Barbara. Well we've had Angus so far this season so this will be the second one.

We were on to the fourth named storm by this time time last year with our river bridge which had been open 36 hours after over a year of restoration closed again thanks to the river over topping it as it was still surrounded by scaffolding. And the new year came in with storm number five.

I'd rather we didn't have another round of high winds and floods this year mind. Some people are barely back in their own homes from last Christmas.

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Soooo - Scotland is off my retirement bucket list?
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Yes, we had to go to Inverness to do our shopping today instead of the planned trip on Thursday. Nothing unusual at the moment, a bit blustery and wet but apparently we could be looking at 90mph at times over the next few days and lots of lightening - a combination almost certain to cause power cuts somewhere. Fortunately we now have a small generator now so will be able to have some heat and light - last time it was out for a week and we only had a small calor gas stove and candle heaters.
So Christmas dinner will happen, either normal oven style or dutch oven style on the camping stove. And if all else fails we have lots of gin. :lol:
Weedo, make sure to keep it on your bucket list - just come in April - lovely weather, usually, and no midges.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Well the start of Barbara has arrived, so I'll take this opportunity to wish everyone :santa: SEASON'S GREETINGS :santa: while we still have power.
See you all on the other side! :grouphug:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good luck Maggie, I hope it's not as bad as predicted. At least you now have a generator so even if you lose power it won't be as bad as it could have been.
The year after we moved here (1995) it was very stormy Christmas and we lost power from Christmas Eve to several days later. Luckily parents-in-law had given us a generator and so it made what could have been a disaster bearable.

Have a safe and Merry Christmas and hopefully hear from you soon. :santa: :santa:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

ina

It was a bit wet and windy yesterday - but the worst was over by the time we got kicked out of work at midday.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)