Happy New Year everyone....

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Happy New Year everyone....

...I hope 2017 holds good things for everyone - warm homes, good food, bountiful gardens, successful DIY, creative crafting and lots of delicious fermenting (OK maybe that one's just me :wink: ).

I don't really do NY resolutions but I am determined that the internal renovations here will be finished and that my shop will open this year. Apart from the new roof (which is way beyond our skills) there are only a couple of floors to finish and the shop area to dry-line. Unfortunately the latter can't be done until the roof is sorted so we're waiting on the man but hopefully that will happen soon.

Then the big project is the garden. I fear we will have to put most of it back to grass which is pretty much all that survives the scouring it gets from the high winds. We will still have the small veg patch though (there's a pic on here somewhere) and the polytunnel, which has survived all the storms thus far this winter :cheers:

Tomatoes, peppers and mini cucumber will be grown indoors on our SW windowsills - smaller number of plants but with the higher yields from growing under glass that should be fine - with the added bonus of filtering the sunshine and cooling the rooms!

Anyone else got plans?
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Happy New Year everyone....

Happy New Year Maggie, I hope all your plans come to fruition.

I only have one plan this year and that is build a new greenhouse. Now that I have been booted out of the conservatory I have to find somewhere else to grow the majority of my tomatoes.
The base is done with a course of blocks, the timber will be ordered on Wednesday, so hopefully it will be done in time for planting (about early April).
It's a reasonable size lean to, about 12' x 8', so should be room for about 18 tom plants.

Already started by the way, I set seeds of Latah and Martina tomatoes to chit this morning, but they will stay indoors. :lol:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

That's our plan for tomorrow, Tony. Today we're re-purposing :roll: our old TV/audio stand to make a spiffy plant stand in our north east facing window, which a lot of our plants strangely seem to like. That will free up some space for the toms to come.

I really, really want a greenhouse. We had plans for building one all the way across the front of the house but I don't think we could afford it - it would have to be so sturdy to survive our winds and I think even if structurally solid enough we'd probably end up having to replace glass every year.

If I win the lottery (if I did the lottery :lol: ).
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Let's hope that Maggie's good wishes work for all of us in 2017.

First plans involve sorting out a card reader to suit the new 4 day old computer so that I can transfer pictures from digital camera cards to this computer. Have been using the software that came with the camera up till now but it won't transfer to the new system as it's far too old (like a lot of the other software I've had for many years). I put the disk into the CD drive and the new PC laughed at me and said it couldn't possibly do that!! Good thing that the old box and ancient screen are still in a corner and can be plugged in as required till it stops working completely (which could be soon).

With the cash from Christmas presents for gardening and the seeds in hand, the allotment should do well for itself. The new strawberry bed was created in September, winter onions and garlic are in place and old compost heaps turned. Some of the hedges have been lowered though one could do with a visit from a chainsaw.

Other than gardening and decorating, plans for the year are travels with the camera.