Storm Dora - how are you bearing up?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
bonniethomas06
A selfsufficientish Regular

Storm Dora - how are you bearing up?

We are three greenhouse panes down (and counting!) and the corrugated plastic roof that my DIY challenged husband spent all of Sunday building over the chicken run, is now various shreds of plastic in the garden :(

Winds are supposed to die down about now, so hoping we don't lose any more panels. How is everyone holding up? Unusual for us to have such high winds down in the sappy south west, so I can only imagine how bad it must be further north.

Hope everyone is safe.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Flo

Re: Storm Dora - how are you bearing up?

We seem to be fairly well off up here near the coast in Northumberland. It could be worse in the hills but nothing definite in at the moment. No-one seems to be reporting anything unusual up here.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

It missed us. We caught the edge of it for a few hours overnight on Wednesday but it wasn't very bad at all. Lots of snow on higher ground further south - Cairngorms.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Three panels down although to be fair two of those were only just holding in the post as the post was damaged in the last winds when next doors tree fell on it. Other than that bits of the garden have been rearranged a little but nothing to worry about.
On the other hand working at a house barely half a mile away today when I heard a rumble and bang and looking out of the window saw the neighbour pointing at the roof. Went outside to see about half a dozen ridge tiles had been ripped off the hip. The neighbour was feeling lucky as he'd been standing where they landed twenty seconds earlier.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Green Aura wrote:It missed us. We caught the edge of it for a few hours overnight on Wednesday but it wasn't very bad at all
Same here, strange as we both live in the two windiest spots in the British Isles.
Just a breezy day, nice sunshine and frequent squally showers.

Sorry to hear of your woes Bonnie, but you can probably appreciate now why I use "domestic" 3 mm glass in my greenhouses and not the "horticultural" 2 mm, and heavy duty corrugated plastic sheet instead of the lightweight stuff they sell in B&Q.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Sorry to hear of your problems - weather is one thing we can't control.
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Howling wind all night long, the worst storm since we have lived in Ireland and probably the worst since '87. My hotbed propagators had the flaps ripped off and the first one has been through some gales already and lived to tell the tale, mostly just pots thrown around, lots of trees down in the area, once again, I lay in bed waiting for the tin roof to fly off the barn, but we got away with it once again. Seems to be calming down here now, 11pm at the moment, hopefully tomorrow I can go and do repairs.

littlemissrose
Tom Good
Tom Good

Good luck with repairs everyone
My blog: https://thelifeofalittlerose.wordpress.com
My dutch blog: https://hetlevenvaneenroosje.wordpress.com has the same content bu is updated sooner.

bonniethomas06

£120 at the glaziers later and we have a fully glazed greenhouse again!

Odsox - yes I certainly can! In fairness we lost 5 panes altogether but three of the toughened glass panes survived being hurled down the garden.

However it still would have been cheaper to replace all 5 than to replace the 2 toughened glass ones! Oh well.

As for the lightweight roofing - you are so right. Clingfilm would have been more robust I think!
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com