Where are you now?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

Where are you now?

Under a snow drift? Knitting power cables and internet access? Blown to pieces?

We seem to be here in this corner of Northumberland. The hills are white and the country roads haven't all been gritted as some of them aren't even big enough for gritters. But on the whole - just an awful lot of ice.

Should be a skid pan outside the door tomorrow morning - might have to raid the grit bin.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Where are you now?

No real problem here Flo.
It was a bit windy last night but nothing untoward, no snow but it is absolutely soggy underfoot, squelching about in wellies that sink in a couple of inches.
It's nice and dry in the tunnels though, but my back won't let me do anything in there at the moment, probably all this damp weather.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Flo

Well if you'd change me your good knees for my cronked ones Odsox sir then we'd have one good person out of two. :lol: :smilebox:

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Not too bad here either. Icy roads but we've nowhere pressing to go so we're staying snug and warm in the house.

The mountains are quite beautiful from in here.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

The last few days our afternoons have been spent indoors - temps have been around mid 40'sC so nothing much can be done outside after about 2.00pm. 44 on Saturday, measured under the verandah on the shady side, and 46 Sunday. Friday I abandoned the tractor when it reached 52 in the cab. Everything soft and green in the veg patch will either die or bolt; regardless of heavy watering the heat and wind just destroy them.
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Crikey, I think I'd melt. I read the transcript of quite an interesting TED talk today about adapting gardening methods to changing climate patterns. Unfortunately, although it discussed flooding and drought it didn't go into extreme temperatures (you) or regular very high winds (me). Still it's encouraging that it's being discussed at all I suppose.

It's been quite bizarre here today. We've not been outside much either Weedo, but for exactly the opposite reason. :lol:

This morning we'd got about 3" of frozen hail/snow on the ground and it snowed a bit more - perishing cold. That was followed followed by a couple of hours of driving winds which apparently scuppered road clearing efforts for a while. It has now been raining for the last couple of hours, warmed up considerably and all the snow has just about gone.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Weedo

I almost did. I guess creeping age is making me soft. It took a couple of litres of electrolyte soup over the afternoon to catch up. These are not really extreme temps for us as plus 40's happen in summer.
My workday world is doing quite a bit of work on climate change modelling and the potential for changes in weeds - new ones responding to a more suitable climate, existing ones expanding range, eg tropicals / sub-tropicals moving further south and potential shifts in Division and Class of weeds in particular areas (more grass / palm types and fewer broadleaf?)

At my stage of career I don't keep track that closely but I will take a look and see if there is anything useful for horticulture

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

This makes me feel deprived, I've nothing really to complain about other than the wind (which is normal and expected) and being soggy underfoot (also expected at this time of year)
The last couple of days it's been 12 C night and day and with no rain yesterday it's not so soggy underfoot.

About the only thing I CAN complain about, as it's not too hot or cold, raining or windy, I've got no excuse to sit indoors like you lot so it's a working day for me. :iconbiggrin:

...and me with my bad back too.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Weedo

Its all relative - you have un-busy winters and our quiet time is in summer. My main problem is that I work full time and need to get the cultivation work done in my "spare time" which means I am working at times when my neighbours are not; basically I have to start earlier and continue on later.