Has Spring sprung?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Has Spring sprung?

Ah the first planting date for spuds around here is St Patrick's Day. That didn't happen this year either. :mrgreen:

Cassiepod
Living the good life
Living the good life

I planted mine yesterday along with doing a whole lot of other jobs in the sunshine, I know we're due some more snow but i'm hoping it won't last and they'll be ok....

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Well I'm not venturing out into the rain and wind, we're currently enjoying,to plant anything! It's back to normal weather for us, after the lovely spell during everyone else's snow.

We may have to rely on windowsill tomatoes and salad grown in two small hydroponics units. Oh, and calamondin, which seem very happy, all in fruit.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Spring apparently sprang back in its box - in the middle of the night! When we went to bed it was fairly mild, with not a breath of wind.

3a.m. saw us with all the hot taps on running hot water off the thermal store - the wind had picked up to the point that, even damped down, the boiler went into overdrive and its alarm woke us. A quick coffee and a look on FB while we were waiting, showed it to be happening right across the north Highlands, a friend on the east coast posted that her house was shaking!

By this morning the wind is pretty much gone and we're back to typical Bank Holiday weather - wet and cold. Hey ho.
Maggie

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh dear, I don't remember that being forecast when I saw the UK weather man after the 10 o'clock news last night. Although if it only happened in the north highlands it probably wasn't worth mentioning by the London based BBC New Zealand weather company.
We get that down here, if it's not going to affect Dublin it's not going to happen.

We have had a beautiful few days, but still cold nights, also very strange weather. Yesterday was unbroken sunshine all day and bees buzzing about, so over 10 C here, while a few miles away it snowed and the temperature dropped to 2 C.

Spring must start soon surely?
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Snow forecast here on higher ground for the next couple of days, so, no, winter is still hanging on. I'm sure the ski industry will be delighted.
Maggie

Flo

It's supposed to rain heavily all day here followed by rain, sleet and snow through to end of play Wednesday. When the weather gets better and warmer it will be a quagmire under foot at this rate. Just as I had got the allotments all ready to plant out as well.

Flo

Nope spring has been cancelled due to high winds here.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

It certainly is a funny old year.
Here we are in May and there's no may blossom out down here yet. We have had may blossom out in sheltered spots at the end of March some years, but always by mid April.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here too, although in Ross-shire the may blossoms are out apparently. High wind and rain - just as it's been for the last three years.
Maggie

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

We have finally caught up, and spring is here. Sorry to hear you folks on that side of the pond are still looking for it.

We have daffodils starting to flower. The dandelions have been out along the roadsides for a while. Grass is turning green, and, when we let the hound out to pee, there is usually a bunny, munching on the lawn, for her to chase.

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Not here, nor has Autumn - still a dry as a deceased canids fifth appendage. In opposition to most, I have just finished planting early onions and brassicas, mulching the Rhubarb for winter and preparing the beds to receive spuds in September / October, Also building beds for green manure legumes to be followed by sweet corn. Started cutting sunflower heads for drying; last crop of dwarf beans still producing though. -

I have problems finding the old Spanish brown onion seed so am trying Paille de Vertus - I have never come across this one before but it seems to be a flatish Spanish. anyone know this variety?
Don't let your vision cloud your sight