CO2 shortage

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

CO2 shortage

Now there seems to be a CO2 shortage in the UK - the sort that goes into beer, fizzy pop, food preservation, animal slaughter (!), dry ice production here in the UK ..

It comes to something when meat is packed using CO2 for sale in the supermarket and it makes you wonder about slaughtering processes too.

Question is - as even crumpet production is being halted at one bakery firm - just how much can we do for ourselves. Make our own bread? Drink water (despite the lack of rainfall)?

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CO2 shortage

Yes, I read that too.
I also learnt that chicken are apparently "stunned" using CO2, although I would have thought "suffocated" would be a more accurate term.
As to meat packaging, I assume the CO2 is in the blister type packs that supermarket meat is packed in, probably to stop it oxidising and keeping the red meat red for longer instead of turning brown as it ages.

Most definitely make your own bread and crumpets Flo, there's no shortage of yeast and they are efficient environmentally friendly CO2 plants rather than the by-product from an ammonia manufacturing plant
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: CO2 shortage

You'd think with all the research going into carbon capture some bright spark would have worked out how to turn it into something useful.

Crumpets are dead easy, especially sourdough ones!
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin