Cruelty to plants?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Muddypause
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Cruelty to plants?

I was wondering if anyone else feels a little twinge of sympathy every time they pull a seedling out by the roots when thinning? I swear I can hear tiny little cries every time I do it.

I thinned some leaks out yesterday, and left some of the thinnings lying on the surface. Today I noticed that even they had turned their shoots upwards and were still struggling for the sun, despite their roots being torn from the ground. It's marvelous, really, watching things strive for life even against all odds. It must be spring.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

I thinned out some dill earlier today and cut them up and put them into burgers. So I guess that is a big no :lol:

I used to feel a bit guilty when killing slugs but after all the damage I have seen them do I now just crush them without thinking.

It is a magical time of year in this hemispere at the moment, I love the fact that all the plants are noticably bigger day by day.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

mountaingirl
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Re: Cruelty to plants?

Muddypause wrote:I was wondering if anyone else feels a little twinge of sympathy every time they pull a seedling out by the roots when thinning? I swear I can hear tiny little cries every time I do it.

I thinned some leaks out yesterday, and left some of the thinnings lying on the surface. Today I noticed that even they had turned their shoots upwards and were still struggling for the sun, despite their roots being torn from the ground. It's marvelous, really, watching things strive for life even against all odds. It must be spring.
:flower: All living things feel pain depending on their level of evolution and the degree of complexity of their nervous systems; the more complex the more fear and pain.
I read a study once by an American scientific project which somehow measured a sound frequency from wheatfields being cut. They concluded that plants do feel and experience and they do feel pain.
Just look at the fear of a tiny spider when we chase it with a finger? Because we are big we think small creatures feel nothing but they do. Without feeling there can be no action. :cat:

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have heard about plants feeling pain too. I wonder if there any Zen gardeners out there? I guess some kind of fruitarian/permiculture type affair would be the closest you could get to harming nothing.
and...... Twitter

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm afraid that I'm going to have to upset everyone and go with John Seymour here - look at our dentition - we were designed to be omnivores! :cheers:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Muddypause

Hello Mountaingirl, pleased to meet you.

I don't really believe that plants are capable of feeling pain - it was an empathetic joke where I believe no empathy can truly exist. My attempt at pathos and wit. It was a little bit of self deprecation as an offering to new friends, in the hope of having them like me.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Muddypause

Hello Nev,
wombat wrote:we were designed to be omnivores!
I'd take issue with your use of the word 'designed', but not here.

We also have the ability to rationalise - assimilate information and make decisions. Just because we <i>can</i> do something doesn't mean we have to do it.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fair point Stew, fair point :cheers:

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Alright! EVOLVED then! :wink:

Nev

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Muddypause wrote: It was a little bit of self deprecation as an offering to new friends, in the hope of having them like me.
:wink: we all seem to be taking ourselves a bit too seariously mate and have missed that one. Ah well, pretty interesting debate though me thinks.
and...... Twitter

mountaingirl

:flower: Wot I do is to try to do is to take the lowest forms of life wherever I can so I'm a vegetarian (cant afford to be vegan). But yes, I instinctivly feel bad when I pull up me veggies.

But I respect everyone elses view and I am sure that a sufficientist who rears their own animules for grub will give them a better life and prayerfully a better death than they get down in the pig farm below me!
mountaingirl :cat:

Muddypause

mountaingirl wrote: I instinctivly feel bad when I pull up me veggies
I suspect at some level it is quite common, and there may even be good evolutionary reasons why. Or I may just be a soft nancyboy (no offence to any Nancys intended).

In fact it may just be that I don't like destroying things - it always seems a shame to do that, even when it is something I don't like or appreciate.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Muddypause

Hello Nev,

Re: Garden Sheds.

I'm flattered that you're using that line in your signature, but now I see my username all over the forum, which doesn't seem quite right for a new boy like me. I'd be more than happy for you to use it unattributed - I'm sure someone must have said it before me.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Credit where credit is due mate! :cheers:

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Muddypause wrote: which doesn't seem quite right for a new boy like me.
We try and create an atmosphere so that everyone feels equal on here desptie how long they have been posting or how many posts (the good life people is just a bit of fun). So don't worry from our point of view. :andy:
and...... Twitter