butter help needed

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
maggie144
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

butter help needed

Hi there.

Does anyone know if its possible to make butter from goats milk, without the use of a butter churn.

I have 3 adult females who give me a fair bit of milk and although i use it for cooking, i would love to be able to make butter too.

can anyone help me with this problem, i have tried looking for a butter churn but have had no luck.

thanks Maggie

baldowrie
A selfsufficientish Regular

I have made butter using my kenwood with cows milk, using the 'K' whisk on slow. I don't know how goats milk will go but try it and see

Paddy's mum
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Good evening all. Yes you can make butter from goats milk but what I read suggests that it would take forever without some mechanical help, such as a churner. If you google for goat's milk butter, there are several entries, one of which gives you a British company's recipe. Hope that helps and happy churning!

Daisy's Mum
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Would allowing the milk to separate and skimming off the top make the process any easier (you probably already do this!) ?

Does answering a question with a question really constitute as advice?

Better shut up now before I confuse myself!

Lorna x
That's the trouble with Do It Yourself - Sometimes it goes and does it back! - Tom Good

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'DAy Lorna!

The problem with goats milk is that the fat micelles are much smaller (ie pre-homogenised) so they don't settle out as easily.

I have also read that goats butter does not keep as well but tends to go "goaty" in the fridge. I don't know what that means but it sounds revolting! :pale:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Boots

Hi Maggie - Yes, I've made goatsmilk butter in a blender, and it's great. Actually, its supposed to be ideal, something about its high butterfat content or something. Doesn't last long, but it reduces down a lot, so you only end up with small quantities anyway. Just add a little salt and blend and blend and blend, till the milk seperates and creams. Pour off the seperated milk and give that to your cat or pig. They'll love you for it. Keep blending until it moves past cream to butter.

I used to make it every 3 or 4 days, as it got used pretty quickly, so can't really tell you what its fridge life would be. It stores like marg - in that it is softer and smoother. It's paler too, so if you have any trouble with littlies turning their noses up and saying "That's not butter", just add a little yellow food colouring and it just looks like marg then (which is still not butter, but you know what I mean).

...Now ya got me missing my milking goat!... Her daughter is in with the buck now, so I should have milk again next year...

You are hand milking 3 goats? Heck, that's a big effort. Nice but, having all that fresh milk, isn't it? I never got around to making cheese, as there was little waste really from 1 goat (cat & pig happily took any leftovers) but cheese would probably be a lot better storage wise if you have heaps left over - and its often a bit easier to sell. I have a recipe around here someplace...
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz