Cycling from lands end to John O'groats

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cycling from lands end to John O'groats

Myself and dave have been talking over the weekend about acycle ride across the UK. We have both done the odd long trip, but nothing quite as long as this 1000 mile journey. We reackon it will take about two weeks.

I have not met anyone that has done this before so if you have or know anyone that has, or even have cycled a very long distance then any advice would be invaluable.

BTW shiney I was in Bradford on Avon yesterday as a bit of practice, was pretty wet eh? I got as far as the Tythe barn and thought, right I made it to B.O.A. and so went back, I am sure that the cold and wet was sezing up my limbs whenever I stopped. :pale: Now I know how long it take swe could meet up for a cup of tea at some point if you like.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

shiney
A selfsufficientish Regular

Good luck to you! My partner is a bit of a cycling bod. He once rode his bike from Guildford to Reading, got on a train with it to Chippenham and rode to Devizes just to see me for the weekend.

He does ride to Devizes and back everyday from BOA in the summertime, that's where he works as an ambulance motorcycle first responder. So after a 12 hour shift he then cycles back. PHEW! I couldn't do it, me legs are too short for a start. :shock:

Would love to meet for a cuppa sometime. 8)
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

greenbean
Living the good life
Living the good life

Crikey, good luck. I admire your spirit (and stamina). If you are passing Stirling then please call in for a a cup of tea, I might even feed you. The chap in the next office to me cycled some way in Africa a couple of years ago for a charity - he came back all brown with a beard. I'll ask him if he has any top cycling tips to pass on.
Why don't you let us self-sufficientish-ers know your route once you've planned it and we can take care of you along the way by making sure you're not hungry or thirsty - all home grown supplies of course!

shiney

That sounds like a brilliant idea Greenbean. Selfsuffish, stop off points!

Andy, you may be doing more than 1000 miles with all the detours for nosh and tea. I think you need to build it up gently, you don't want to burn out. Did you cycle on the tow path to BOA?

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

That does sound good stop off points, I am sure that they will be the most welcome thing possible especially if the days are cold and wet! I think the friendly face and the warmth would be just a good as the nosh.

I am half planning the route at the moment. It would be nice to try and get in as many forests/country parks as possible. so far I am thinking of going through Dartmoor, the Yorkshire moors and around loch ness.

As for stamina, well I have not done it yet I might flake out by Newquay :wink:

Yep I did cycle the tow path to BOA, slightly longer than over the downs but less hills. I plan to work up slowly, starting with flat journeys of around 20-30 miles and hopefully working up to much longer distances up and down hills. By late summer I should be able to do 70-100 miles a day with ease. Well with relative ease.
and...... Twitter

sunpuppy
Tom Good
Tom Good

Not in quite the same league as Land's End to John O'Groats, but I did the London to Southend bike ride once (57 miles) and practically expired at the end of it.

We kept stopping for pub breaks and were so slow that the organisers had to tell us to hurry up, because the truck taking down all the route signs after the race was catching up with us, so we had cycle like the clappers for the last ten miles. Crossed the finish line last, but it was great fun! :bom:

You should definitely go for it, sounds like an adventure.....

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Well good luck to you two. If it's any consolation, my route finder says LE-JoG is about 837 miles, not 1000 miles. But of course that would include motorways and major trunk routes, so you may have to go a bit further to avoid them.

When I was a motorcyclist, one of the established challenges was to do the trip in 24 hours. In fact not too much of a challenge (though I never did it), as a modern touring bike can maintain a high average speed and do it in around 16 hours.

If I was cycling, I think I may be tempted to start from the north and work my way down, that way getting all the big hills out of the way early on.

Mind you, there are quite a lot of hills in the SW, too.

And in the middle bit, come to think of it.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Have had a look around some websites and I think the cycle route is around 1000 miles, perhaps even a bit longer. I think as well you have to ensure that you can stop off at a good camp site or B & B so that can add a bit onto the journey. Have thought about doing it the other way round, more for the weather - but I supose two weeks won't make that much difference. I hope I am not tempting fate, I foresee a blizzard now :wink:

57 miles is still a distance SP, at the moment I have not done much more than that myself. Especially if you had a few beers in you :drunken:
and...... Twitter

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Speaking of cycling just been made aware of this event

http://www.worldnakedbikeride.org/uk/ on June 11th. Two events in the UK one in London the other Bath! - I don't think I would dare though. :oops:
and...... Twitter

shiney

I'd sponsor you a tenner!

Go on, but we want pics. :shock:

greenbean
Living the good life
Living the good life

Oh go on! I love this sort of thing, it restores my faith in mankind (a little anyway), it's funny and stupid and I love it. Having said that,, I'm not doing it, the way my body is heading down south I'd likely get my nipples caught in the chain. ouch.

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

hmm, for us fella's would not be good if it was a cold day :wink:

Yep it is good to see something like this going on, it is a worldwide event too. The ethos is that bikes are eco friendly and a statement is being made against the oil producers (ie the cars) by riding about and showing the human vunrebility. Seems just a way for loads of people to have a bit of a laugh in the buff though really

:lol:
and...... Twitter

shiney

'hmm, for us fella's would not be good if it was a cold day '

You may end up looking like 'that flippin' frogs little thingy'. If you know where I am coming from.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

I could imaginme a naked bike ride in a tropical country, but the UK?

I suppose you guys do get a summer but bloody hell!

And yes the thought of body parts (male or female) making contact with gears etc, makes me wince :shock:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

wulf

The longest bike ride I ever did was a sponsored one from Canterbury back to where I lived at the time, in North West Kent (about 50 miles). At church the next day I was reasonably fine but my friend, who hadn't been wearing padded cycling shorts, needed a cushion to sit down and play the piano!

Therefore, I'm not quite convinced about the merits of naked cycling!

Wulf