Home town or nomad?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Home town or nomad?

To date I have lived in Northampton, Polzeath, Nottingham, Oxford, Bath and Bristol. Although I love Bristol I would quite happily move again.

It strikes me that if you love the place you were born in and have strong family ties with it then you are more likely to stay. Northampton is a bit of a hole, I have good friends and some family there but not enough to tie me to a town that would leave Leonado Da vinci uninspired.

So how about you lot are you home town or Nomads?
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Born and brought up in Glasgow Lived there all my life - until 3 weeks ago

All my family moved away including my Mum - I am the youngest of 6 they live all around Scotland now though they had been all around the world.

So there was nothing tying me to Glasgow, saying that there is something about Glasgow that I love it has just been diluted in recent years, the rough areas are getting rougher, the town centre is getting too many shops, bistros, I don't know what it is but there is no Glasgow left in Glasgow... maybe to many incomers. I don't mean immigrants Glasgow has always been a welcoming city, just too many outsiders from up north or down south...

Enough of my rant, its just not the same as it was when I was growing up, so it was time to move.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Born in the centre of London (Leicester square). Then moved as a child to Warminster in south Wiltshire. I never forgave my parents for moving me out of central Londan just as I was approaching my teenage years.

I went to college in Bristol and loved it so much I stayed on for 13 years. I only move to Swindon when I got a job here and the commuting got too much. That was 9 years ago and I still miss Bristol. I loved it there and am still plotting my return. The trouble is that I love my house and garden in Swindon and have loads of friends here. It's a bit of dilemma.

I could easily move on again and probably will.
Zoe

TheLancsLass
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
Facebook Name: Sally Walker

Born and bred in Gravesend, Kent and will be here for a few years yet until the kids finish school, then we want to move to Somerset :)
Sally

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well...i was born about 10 miles away, and i've lived here virtually all my life. I moved to york for University, and than had to come back home again because i ran out of money. I#'m saving up to go back to York for a couple of years to finish some training, and then i plan to either come back here, or to the next county to own my own business.

All depends really.

Shirley

I'm a nomad for sure!

Manchester - 5 addresses
Aberdeenshire - FIVE different places glenbuchat, kildrummy, lumsden, kildrummy, rhynie.
Shoreham-by-Sea - 2 addresses in Shoreham-by-sea
Southwick - 2 addresses in Southwick
Bath
Herefordshire
Aberdeenshire

17 different addresses in 41 years!

Now I know why it's taking me so long to fill in my disclosure form :lol
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

cir3ngirl
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Home town girl. Took my godson for a hospital appointment today in the wing I was born in. Cirencester is one of those places your either stay all your life or you move away and never come back. I'm still here but my sister would not return to live if we paid her. My boys go to my primary school yes some of the dinner ladies are the same ones I had. My mum lives 3 streets away for a single mum that very important. Aunts, uncles and cousins are all about as well.

It was good enough for the Romans and it's a great place to live.

cat
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

does my "location" under the avatar give you a clue :lol:
vertigo is not fear of falling, but the desire to fly (jovanotti)

Millymollymandy

Cat you could be an Italian with very good English! :mrgreen:

I'm like Shirlz. I don't know if it is a good thing or a bad thing but after a few years somewhere I start to get itchy feet, yet I don't actually WANT to move again.

I've just worked it out, 23 different addresses in 45 years. :pale: No wonder part of me wants to move every 2 years, I'm so used to it!

Shirley

Blimey M3 - I thought I was bad :)

I've got a bit of catching up to do then :mrgreen:
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Milims

According to this village I'm an incomer because I'm from a village 4 miles away!! :shock:
The most nomadic I've been was when I was at Poly - student accommodation but here-ish was still home.
So 20 years later here I am living 4 miles from my home village having moved only twice - thinking about moving again - well maybe in a couple of years time - if we get round to it!!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

pskipper
Living the good life
Living the good life

Lets see, I moved from Cumberland to Yorkshire when I was very little, moved 3 times in yorkshire then up to fife, twice in fife, from fife to the outer hebridees, from the outer hebridees to dundee, from dundee to perth from perth to the outer hebridees and then down to leicester, from leicester to stevenage and then back to leicester, from leicester to (briefly) bedford, from bedford to codford from codford to warminster (snap Zoe) and finally from warminster to trowbridge where I'm trying to stay for as long as possible.

So that makes 17 moves so on average I've moved every 1.8 years I've been alive, I can sympathise M3 I'm enjoying putting down roots but still get itchy feet from force of habit (not athletes foot).

I really hate filling in previous address forms :(

Stonehead

Re: Home town or nomad?

Andy Hamilton wrote:To date I have lived in Northampton, Polzeath, Nottingham, Oxford, Bath and Bristol. Although I love Bristol I would quite happily move again.

It strikes me that if you love the place you were born in and have strong family ties with it then you are more likely to stay. Northampton is a bit of a hole, I have good friends and some family there but not enough to tie me to a town that would leave Leonado Da vinci uninspired.

So how about you lot are you home town or Nomads?
I've lived in 31 places in 41 years, but I also spent quite a bit of time living in a camper van and travelling. The three years I've lived on the croft is the longest I've stayed in one place...

red

I moved around a fair bit, and wasn't born here - but So long as I stay in Devon, I'm happy.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sydney lad born and bred. My parnts moved down here from Qld just before I was born and I've been here ever since. Three addresses - Bankstown (Yagoona), Liverpool (Heckenberg) and here. Been here for 30 or so years so I am a moss gatherer rather than a rolling stone.

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/