Easing into vegetarianism

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

we keep crashing Clara :wink:

Felafels

1 cup of dried chickpeas (soaked overnight then boiled until soft)
1 chopped onion
2 tbs coriander seeds
2 tbs cumin seeds

mix together and mash, I use a hand blender and shove it about in the pot but I think a food processor would work better :oops: It needs to be pretty smooth for them to stick together. Use a bit of flour on your hands form into golf balls, flatten and then shallow fry in olive oil

Serve in a flat bread (pitta style) with salad and yogurt or Tahini (OH has mayonnaise)

You can use garlic as well (but I am allergic, so I don't) and fresh coriander would be good but I have yet to grow any.
I love these but I have never had real Felafels (due to allergy), so I have no comparison to make... feed-back if you have any suggestions :wink:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

red
A selfsufficientish Regular

yeh steady on Martin - the original post was not 'what are your opinions on vegetarianism' it was a post from someone who has made their own choice and wants some hints and guidance rather than rushing in.
We all have our own opinions. I'm a confirmed omnivore meself, and I believe we should all eat less meat.
Kimmysmum: I would say the way to go is not to try and replace meat - but cook totally different foods - my OH loves his meat - but since he met me has been eating alot more vegetarian meals as I cook them - he loves spinach and feta pie.. and pasta with lots of mushrooms peppers and courgettes with a pesto sauce etc
You will need to think about getting enough iron, and other vitamins, but if you are still eating eggs and dairy, then it should nto be too hard

Clara - sounds like your baby is thriving.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Martin

from one of thousands of sites on "vegan dangers"

"Yet even a breast-fed baby is at risk. Studies show that vegan breast milk lacks enough docosahexaenoic acid, or DHA, the omega-3 fat found in fatty fish. It is difficult to overstate the importance of DHA, vital as it is for eye and brain development.
A vegan diet is equally dangerous for weaned babies and toddlers, who need plenty of protein and calcium. Too often, vegans turn to soy, which actually inhibits growth and reduces absorption of protein and minerals. That’s why health officials in Britain, Canada and other countries express caution about soy for babies."

There is ample evidence of how dangerous the practice is, it is a deeply unnatural diet which cannot be sustained without manufactured nutrients - sorry, if want to slowly starve to death, that's your problem, but to visit it on a child is to mind extremely questionable (and that's being polite!)
It's no more than "anorexia with attitude" :roll:
I have crossed swords with vegans before, and discovered some who are so warped that they'll keep a couple of cats, and feed them on vegan food, and keep them locked up so they don't kill the little birdies........and wonder why they become ill and die............. :pale:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

contadina

Hi Rhonda,

I've been a vegetarian for nigh on 30 years and have found it to be most liberating in the kitchen. Like many, when I first stopped eating meat I experimented in recreating favourite foods that contained meat - send me a pm if you are interested in any in particular. Nowadays I can create something tasty for myself and any visiting carnivores out whatever is in the garden and/or cupboard.

By using pulses and vegetables you can make delicious Mexican, Indian or any nationalities dishes, for that matter. There are so many pasta dishes that contain no meat that you should be able to keep the whole family healthy and happy without too much stress. As my husband eats meat I need to prepare myself something that he doesn't like as he generally prefers the veggie option! Whenever he fancies a roast I'll have a veggie toad in the hole or something so that we can both enjoy all the trimmings.

Good books for recipe ideas include the Cranks Cookbook, Pru Leith's Vegetarian Bible and anything by Rosie Elliot. These all contain useful information about dietary needs and balanced meals. I find the meat-eater view that all vegetarians are pasty and unhealthy (obviously not including the rather sensible selfsufficientish meaties) as comical as veggies are, as a rule, more aware of how to include all the necessary food groups for health and vitality for all the family.

Have fun cooking and Boun Appetito!

Clara

[quote="Martin"]from one of thousands of sites on "vegan dangers"

"Yet even a breast-fed baby is at risk. Studies show that vegan breast milk lacks enough docosahexaenoic acid, or DHA, the omega-3 fat found in fatty fish. It is difficult to overstate the importance of DHA, vital as it is for eye and brain development.
A vegan diet is equally dangerous for weaned babies and toddlers, who need plenty of protein and calcium. Too often, vegans turn to soy, which actually inhibits growth and reduces absorption of protein and minerals. That’s why health officials in Britain, Canada and other countries express caution about soy for babies."

Good job I eat plenty of [url http://www.vegsoc.org/info/omega3.html] walnuts and linseeds [/url]then. Soy is wrong unless fermented, it has too many phytoestrogens amongst other problems.

Now can you put your big one-size tars ´em all brush away.
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

pskipper
Living the good life
Living the good life

Good luck with the diet change..

http://chetday.com/vegmyths.htm

This site is important reading, not to put you off the idea but to make sure that you are aware of some of the risks especially to babys fed on soya formula! (Having read it the only soya product I'm going near again is soy sauce!)

kimmysmum
Tom Good
Tom Good
Location: Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia. Sub-Tropical Climate

:oops: :oops:
First of all let me say I am truly sorry for causing any unrest here that was not my intension. I feel terrible after reading the posts.

Contadina I have some tried and true recipes for Lentils, a wonderful Walnut loaf and several other yummy meals. I will still eat fish as I have said and occasionally organic chicken. I am taking it one step at a time and am researching everyday.

Thankyou to the well wishers I am truly excited as it is another adventure.
My family doctor will be monitoring my health regularly as I do have to go to her often with my back injury so I feel that all will be well.

Again I do appologies :oops: :oops:
LET'S ALL ENJOY THIS ADVENTURE WE CALL LIFE

Martin

no reason for apologies - you asked a purely innocent question, it was me that raised the vegan thing (and wished I hadn't afterwards - because I should have learnt by now that it always provokes a backlash from vegan fundamentalists) :wink:
Having seen the personality of a close family member disintegrate through fad dieting, I have rather a raw nerve on the subject.......and also having taught handicapped kids for a while I am all too aware of the horrrors of developmental problems!
So, my fault - I'm keeping my trap shut on the subject from now on, lest I receive a vegan fatwa! :wink:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

kimmysmum wrote::oops: :oops:
First of all let me say I am truly sorry for causing any unrest here that was not my intension. I feel terrible after reading the posts.

Contadina I have some tried and true recipes for Lentils, a wonderful Walnut loaf and several other yummy meals. I will still eat fish as I have said and occasionally organic chicken. I am taking it one step at a time and am researching everyday.

Thankyou to the well wishers I am truly excited as it is another adventure.
My family doctor will be monitoring my health regularly as I do have to go to her often with my back injury so I feel that all will be well.

Again I do appologies :oops: :oops:
No need for you to appologise :wink:

Some of us can get quite argumentative, :argue: defensive :boxing: and opinionated :violent1:

It has nothing to do with you... it just happens sometimes. It proves that we are an interesting mix of personalities and that you will ALWAYS get honest opinions. Just like one big disfuntional family :mrgreen:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Allright you lot, break it up.......................don't make me come over there! :mrgreen:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

red

Martin wrote:.......and also having taught handicapped kids for a while I am all too aware of the horrrors of developmental problems!
be fair though Martin, most children who have developmental problems, the reason are not known. It's a raw nerve for me that there is always the suggestion that somehow the mother was to blame.
My child has developmental problems - I am a meat eater, I eat dairy, fish, and a lot of vegetables, I did not drink during or prior to pregnancy and I have never been a smoker.. I do not live next door to a nuclear power station and there is nothing in my family to indicate this might happen. sometimes it just happens. I would not describe it as a 'horror' either (in fact most days I believe I got a better deal).

You probably are not interested, but the word 'handicapped' came in the top ten of offensive words when referring to disabled people.

For the record, I do not personally agree with vegetarianism or veganism - but this post was not asking that. the original post was, as I said before, from someone looking at cutting out meat and asking for advice.

Kimmysmum - please dont feel bad.. you didn't do anything - this often happens - a thread gets hijacked... or at the least goes off at a tangent. You got some good avice on this thread.. and I expect there will be more to follow

Nev: - if we carry on arguing you will come over and visit? cool!
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Martin

the words used when I was teaching were even more offensive - "mentally subnormal"...........my apologies if I don't quite keep up to date with the terminology!
Having seen close up what starvation of essential nutrients can do to an adult, let alone a growing child, I'm more than a touch twitchy on the subject - in retrospect, I should have kept quiet!
I agree that developmental problems "just happen", and it's not often due to the parent's activities, but still maintain that to feed a growing child on a marginal starvation diet from choice is to me horrifying. I'm a dad too, and when it came to rearing my daughter, if it was a case of my principles, or her health, the principles go out of the window without a second's thought.
It's not that it would take much of a compromise by a hardcore vegan to ensure their child's safety - a few eggs added to the diet would probably suffice (probably THE most natural food for hunter-gatherers, which should not involve any cruelty whatsoever).
As I said before "I've got the t-shirt" on arguing with vegans - I'll keep my own counsel on the subject from now on! :?

Clara

I was gonna let this slide, but on the other hand....

I´ve been referred to as a "vegan fundamentalist" whose child needs "care and protection". And yes, that was aimed at me Martin, who else?

Further inferences that mothers are to blame for their children´s learning disabilities (I´ve worked within the field of autism for many years), are incredibly offensive to mothers in general, and nonsensical when it is thought that many learning disabilities are in fact handed down on the Y chromosome (not that that make father´s culpable, it´s just the way it is).

I suspect you have come across dogmatic vegans, the anecdotes you mention may even be true, however......

I am not vegan, nor have I ever been, I described my diet as "virtually vegan" (sometimes I even eat meat....when I´ve killed it myself). All through my posts I have been clear in saying that each to their own, as long as we use commonsense and our experience as our guide. Not exactly the words of an extremist.

Vegetarianism is clearly not for you (the thing I mentioned about the DL is true BTW, I wasn´t being facetious), you have read what you needed to read to reinforce your point of view, not what was actually in my posts.
The only reason I´m bothering to reply now, is so that you cannot just notch me up as another one of your "vegan fundamentalists".

I don´t think I´ll get an apology, but the above inferences deserve one, they were personal, unwarranted and deeply offensive.
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

Martin

now you've made it plain that you're not a hardcore nutter, I'm greatly relieved - I genuinely feared for the safety of your little one. Having crossed swords with the loony vegan fringe in the past, I had mistakenly assumed you were another one - for which I apologise unreservedly!
I'd sooner tread on the odd tootsie now and again, than "pass by on the other side" - pax!

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Amid all this talk of hard core nutters, extremists and the loony fringe, it's pretty ironic to see just who, in this thread, is being the didactic evangelist, showing, dare I say it, a tendency towards some rather unbalanced axe-grinding.

The only issue is how well balanced your diet is.

I've met a few vegans; one was in her twenties, one in his 70s and one in her 90s. Each of them had an abundance of energy and enthusiasm for life. Another was a pretty vigorous drummer in a thrash metal band - you would never describe him as kitten-like. I've even met a pretty lively, and elderly, fruitarian (don't eat anything that kills the plant). Compare this to the many people I have met who have a conventional diet (ie., high in saturated fats, salt, sugar, and additives) who are listless, moribund and feckless. The only issue is how well balanced your diet is, not whether you call yourself a vegetarian, a vegan, an ethical carnivor, or anything else.

We are not obliged, by nature, to eat meat. We have evolved with canine teeth, but we have also evolved a rational free will, capable of making reasoned decisions and reaching moral conclusions; which is the greater affront to nature not to use?

I'd suggest that a much more dangerous diet than a reasonably balanced vegan diet is one of relentless KFCs, pizzas and MacDonalds - we can be far more certain that this may condemn people, and the children they force it upon, to a life of incapacity, dysfunction and an early death. If you're going to rail against food faddists, the tens of thousands of these irresponsible unthinkers must surely be the ones, not the handful of rational vegans.

The only issue is how well balanced the diet is, not what names you call people.
Stew

Ignorance is essential