Bring back hanging...........

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've got nothing against nurses! The people on the ground do a great job, its the people in suits with offices that don't.

I don't think its so much a case of medical mistakes as negligence thats causing problems.
When you know about blood borne pathogens, and then leave a bloody dressing on the floor for 7 hours, thats negligence, its not a mistake! When you leave blood on a table because someone was bleeding, thats negligence.

When the managers don't make the cleaners work saturday night, that's negligence.

Mistakes happen, i understand that people are human no matter what their job, and that sometimes, humans make mistakes. Its the negligence i can't stand. If someone makes a mistake with dosing, or something, then that's a human error. When they continually walk past an obviously dirty, and possibly infected dressing, that's negligence.

I swear you can see MRSA growing in the hospital near me...

contadina
A selfsufficientish Regular

I worked as a cleaner at my local hospital whilst at school and university (over 20 years ago) and witnessed the deterioration once contracting was phased in. Before contracting, staff were well motivated, reasonably paid and training and checks were the norm. After contracting standards began slipping really, really rapidly. Checks and training became infrequent and nowhere near as thorough. More often than not a housekeeper would have to clean two wards rather than one and so corners were cut. Cleaners were shifted from ward to ward and so lost the sense of pride that they previously had in keeping their ward clean. Targets and time sheets reduced the job to getting tasks completed quickly rather than thoroughly and also meant that there was precious little time to pass the time of day with patients or do any of the things that help to give job satisfaction. If you take that away from the workforce then it’s really no surprise that standards have dropped.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

When we were there, mum went to receprion to ask for someone to clean the floor. Reception told her that cleaners were not employed to work on a saturday night.

So there, its not the cleaners' fault - they're not there, its the stupid management! The people in suits who don't even think about getting their hands dirty!

red

possum wrote:Yes ACC is wonderful, it is on a par with private health insurance in the UK, what I am saying is that no matter how bad you think NZ is, the UK is worse. I find it rather ironic as one of the things we were warned about when moving to NZ was that there was no public health care system here.
what is ACC? do you have to pay for it?

whilst the cleanliness issues that have arisen recently in the NHS are a disgrace, its not the only part to be considered with health care. for example the worlds experts on muscle disorders are in the UK, and in my family's circumstances, we are happy to stay where that expertise is. (besides which we would not be able to emigrate as people with on-going health issues are usually refused)

management have to take the blame for the cleaniness issues.. as they are 'management' they are supposed to be responsible or what are they getting paid for.....
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

red wrote:...management have to take the blame for the cleaniness issues.. as they are 'management' they are supposed to be responsible or what are they getting paid for.....
They do take the responsibility. They just don't do anything about it, they sit around in their offices taking the blame until it all gets too much, then they resign, get a wad of cash for doing so and spend 6 months on the Algarve. Then return to take up another post in another business, neglecting something else (usually something with health consequences to their employees or Joe Public) and still doing nothing about it.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

possum

red wrote:
possum wrote:Yes ACC is wonderful, it is on a par with private health insurance in the UK, what I am saying is that no matter how bad you think NZ is, the UK is worse. I find it rather ironic as one of the things we were warned about when moving to NZ was that there was no public health care system here.
what is ACC? do you have to pay for it?
yes and no,
ACC is accident claim compensation (or something similar). You do pay for it, but it is a hidden expense, when you take out vehicle insurance, part of that is paid to ACC (btw insurance is optional), when you work, your employer pays a contribution based on the likelihood of you having an accident, eg office workers less likely to harm themselves than builders, but even if you don't contribute to it, you are still covered by it, they will pay sick pay if your employer won't, they will pay for home helps if you need it, surgery, physio, pretty well anything that you could need following an accident. It is a government based thing
Opinionated but harmless

Jack

Gidday

Yeah, Accident Compensation Commission. It is a state operated compulsory accident insurance that is more benifit to criminals that law abiding citizens, especially the self employed.

Recently a murdering bugger was on the run from the Police and ended up shooting one man and seriously injuring another before being shot in the leg by the Police and he got surgury straight off infront of anyone else on the waiting list. It really is worth having.
Cheers
just a Rough Country Boy.

possum

well mine was from a cute fluffy kitten incident, so very gratefull i could use the system,
Opinionated but harmless

Millymollymandy

I'm not impressed by the cancer treatment in Auckland! My father was released after having several months of radiotherapy for throat cancer, and sent back home to Fiji with the all clear. He died two weeks later and it was found that he was riddled with cancer!!! :cry: My uncle who I expect paid for it all was furious and thinking of suing the hospital; whether he did or not I don't know.

red

Jack wrote:Gidday

Recently a murdering bugger was on the run from the Police and ended up shooting one man and seriously injuring another before being shot in the leg by the Police and he got surgury straight off infront of anyone else on the waiting list. It really is worth having.
that would annoy yes! so there are still waiting lists.. just this system bypasses them for some reason?
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

etsy shop

blog

red

Millymollymandy wrote:I'm not impressed by the cancer treatment in Auckland! My father was released after having several months of radiotherapy for throat cancer, and sent back home to Fiji with the all clear. He died two weeks later and it was found that he was riddled with cancer!!! :cry: My uncle who I expect paid for it all was furious and thinking of suing the hospital; whether he did or not I don't know.
sorry MMM - thats terrible :cry:
Red

etsy shop

blog