Did you feel the Earthquake?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
marshlander
A selfsufficientish Regular

Did you feel the Earthquake?

Yes, we're ok! Market Rasen is 25miles west. Haven't seen the news yet but I was up and felt it big time. I thought it was a nearby explosion or something. I said to OH it felt like an earthquake but the idea seemed too silly to contemplate. As far as I know so far only casualties in the house are stuff fell over, lamps, pics you know the sort of stuff.

Heard a huge bang and was shaken then nothing. We went round with a tourch outside and in but couldn't see what had caused it.

The cats were spooked, the wild birds were noisy for ages afterwards.
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

ina

Glad to hear you are OK - I heard on the radio that one man broke his leg when his chimney collapsed...
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

multiveg
Living the good life
Living the good life

My mother felt it - woke up as the bed moved, though she's in south of the county. Scary - 5.3 they say it was.

Karen_D
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Me - waking up in a panic because the house is shaking: "What's that?!"

Husband: "Probably a mouse."

Me: "Mouse? The room is shaking, how big's the ******* mouse?"

We aren't very good on waking up. Can you tell? :mrgreen:

Russian Doll

Karen_D wrote:Me - waking up in a panic because the house is shaking: "What's that?!"

sorry that had me in hysterics

multiveg
Living the good life
Living the good life

Karen_D wrote:Me - waking up in a panic because the house is shaking: "What's that?!"

Was it a hippopota-mouse?

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Far as I know we didn't feel it, but then if someone had hit me over the head with a brick last night I wouldn't have noticed.
I'll ask Jim if he felt it.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Cheezy

Yes we felt it.
I did m'back in.... as I leapt out of bed convinced someone was in the bedroom and had shaken the bed. I yelled something and hit the bedroom light on. I realised I was being silly, and resolved not to check under the bed. I still had no idea what had woken me up. I had a quick look out of the window and noticed a semi clad bloke hanging out of his window looking around..strange I thought he must have heard something as well.

Then MOH yelled at me from downstairs (We occupy different floors due to my outstanding snoring and her requirement for a minimum 10 hours uninterupted sleep :roll: ) did I feel the earthquake!.

Nobody else at work felt it, I think it could be due to our old Victorian house and the clay foundations, since it was obvious other people in our vacinity felt it. Mind my bed shakes when the 05.35 first service bus hits the pot hole out side our house...no really it does, it's a bit like a snooze function for me. .....ZZZZzzzzz bed shakes and noise of bus outside
"hmmmm ahhh another 2 hours kip" turns over...ZZZZzzzz
It's not easy being Cheezy
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli

Super.Niki
Living the good life
Living the good life

ooohh!!! We felt it!!! Or at least I did!!! BF is sprawled out sleeping like a log whole room shakes me thinking "what the heck?" About 3 hours later BF decides to wake up and say "earthquake!!" then go promptly back to sleep.... bit late love!!! :mrgreen:

Was great fun though! Everyone in the halls were running around in their PJs and wandering round the courtyard on the phone to various people!!! So much fun!! ...well not for the poor people that lost chimneys...but still!!
If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Ha - I thought I was bad. I woke up thinking that a helicopter was going over. Checked the clock, 20 past 1. Back to sleep. The next day I saw the news. It was definitely the earthquake that I heard (here in Swindon hundreds of miles away) only it took half an hour to wake me up.
:lol:

Gytrash
Tom Good
Tom Good
Location: West Yorkshire, under a daft hat, with an elf-bolt in his neck...

I woke up just after it had finished :(

My girlfriend said 'Was that an earthquake?', I replied 'What? I didn't hear anything'... Zzzzzzzzzzz!

The next morning she told me that she'd woken up because the bed was moving by itself, there was a really loud roaring noise from outside, the wardrobe started making noises, and one of my hats that was hanging on the door handle started to move from side-to-side.

Wish I'd been awake to see it happening! And to see what our cats and pet rats thought of it (if anything).

Speaking to a few people we know in Lincs and Yorks, it seems that lots of blokes slept throught it all, whilst the women woke up... :?

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nope, didn't feel a thing. Mum and dad thought it was the dog jumping on the bed. The dog woke up and woofed a few times, and then looked at me sleepily as if to say 'what was it that woke me up again....' then went back to sleep.

mybarnconversion
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'm peeved as I didn't feel it ... felt a much smaller one a year or so back (if you'll excuse the innuendo), but not this one ... ;)

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I remember feelign that one - i was fixing the ex's computer at the time, and as i went to plug it in, the house shook. H started yelling thinking i'd blown his computer up, i was looking out the window to see if there's been a car crash, one of his housemates started blaming the other, saying that his Bass was up too high. Eventually, one of the housemates' girlfriends wandered in and said 'did you feel that earthquake - the one about 10 minutes ago. its on the news'.

I've never seen 3 men shut up that fast before!

hedgewitch

We just had an earthquake in Spain too, though it was 3.3 on the richter scale. I believe the one in UK was 5 something?

Lord knows what that was like 'cos the 3.3er made the whole house shake enough as it was.
The Earth's definately not happy.
My Blog
My Website

Plant Seeds and sing songs.