What can I do with an old bike?

Cycling, trains, walking. This is the place to talk about how good or bad cycle routes are, mention great train journeys, talk about car sharing schemes or husky travel. Anything in fact that is about transport that is a little alternative.
Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

What can I do with an old bike?

I picked it off of the pile of rubbish left out across the road.... it is rusted badly and the tires are flat (obviously) but the gears and brakes still work.

The frame has been painted black (I think it might have been Pink before) So it is all gunky around the saddle post.

I think it is 18" wheels though I haven't measured

I have a bike, an fancy new giant (21") thing I can barely get my leg over the cross bar, but it was expensive (for us) so I have to keep it.

I am thinking about rigging this old banger up to a generator (can you buy a simple adaptor type thing for a bike? you ought to) or perhaps dis-assemble it for parts or for other stuff.... sculpture to keep the birds away? Or is it going to be a better idea to fix it and clean it up as a bike?
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Nomada
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: What can I do with an old bike?

If you are interested in making a yurt the wheel can be used to make the top circular support that the poles all slot into. That's what we're gonna try in May. Now you just need to find lots of poles, trellises, old tarpaulin......
England is not a Free People, till the Poor that have no Land, have a free allowance to dig and labour the Commons.

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Dear Annpan,

Ncaat have published plans for using old bike wheels to make aerogenerators, might be easier than attatching to a generator and pedalling. On the other hand, getting it roadworthy and using it as a spare bike for visitors or even as a gift to a bikeless friend also seems worthwhile,

Love and Peace
Jim
The law will punish man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the Common
But lets that greater thief go loose
Who steals the Common from the goose.

urbanwookie
Tom Good
Tom Good

You could have a go at cleaning it up! You might be surprised how much of the rust comes off easily (sorry, did I say easily? I obviously meant with lots of scrubbing).

There is a good guide to green cleaning methods at http://oldbikeblog.blogspot.com/2009/01 ... cycle.html

Eigon
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I've also heard of bike wheels being used to make DIY spinning wheels.
"The best way to get real enjoyment out of the garden isto put on a wide straw hat, hold a little trowel in one hand and a cool drink in the other, and tell the man where to dig."
Charles Barr

MikeM
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

You say it's rusty but is the frame rusted? If so, I'd be wary of using it as a bike. You don't really wanna be on it when it breaks.
Hypocrite slayer for hire. So many hypocrites, so little time.

snapdragon
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Eigon wrote:I've also heard of bike wheels being used to make DIY spinning wheels.
I have a (loaned) book that shows how to do that - it uses the frame and one of the wheels with the bike turned upside down
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6: